Thread: 650b Heckler

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

650b Heckler

I have started buying drivetrain/brake parts for my new 650b Heckler.

I am going to order a Large in Turquoise with a new RS Pike Solo Air in Black and also order some Stans Arch EX on Hope hubs.

What size forks are you guys running? Can't decide if I should go with 150 or 160 Pikes. Can I reduce the Pikes from 160 to 150 easily. I feel that 150 is enough travel for me. So does the Heckler handle better with 150 or 160 forks.

Can't wait I will post pics as I go along.

Creepy tooth fairy

160 mm of swingin' meat!!!

I am going to run a 160 Pike on mine. I like the mini DH bike feel and additional slackness available and 10mm is not going to mess up the climbing ability. I want it to be more mower than blower, but I don't think it is going to matter that much. That said, I have always found that if you have the travel you will use it.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My wifes came with a 150 speced and she is happy with it and she isn't yet using all the travel in the front end, but i don't think she will ever need more than 150.

As for adjusting the travel in the pike, from what it looks like on the solo air pike you can't you cannot adjust travel by adding or removing shims, or atleast that is what the people in this thread are saying BikeRadar.com ? View topic - New Rock Shox Pike adjusting travel

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am erring towards a 160mm unless the handling is affected - this is my first 650b so i don't want to get it wrong!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I also just bought a Santa Cruz Heckler and love it, but if you are a very aggressive rider I could see putting a 160mm pike 27.5" on it. You could always get a one of the cane creek headsets and use it to steepen up the head tube angle just a tad to compensate for the fork and move the handlebars down a little bit by changing around the spacers a little. This should give you the same feel of the bike, but just make it a little more capable.

mtbr member
    Could someone kindly take a couple measurements between the rear stays? I'm curious if the dirt wizard 26x2.75 can be stuffed in there with ample clearance on both sides. The DW is not yet avail so no clue what it measures let alone once mounted on 35mm blunts to aid my cause.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Could someone kindly take a couple measurements between the rear stays? I'm curious if the dirt wizard 26x2.75 can be stuffed in there with ample clearance on both sides. The DW is not yet avail so no clue what it measures let alone once mounted on 35mm blunts to aid my cause.
    I have no idea if this would work, but I would think having a semi-fat tire like the dirt wizard would be more advantageous in the front. Those already fit the Fox 34 and I would the think it would work on a Pike too. If nothing else, there is a cool song of the same name...

the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    [B]I have no idea if this would work, but I would think having a semi-fat tire like the dirt wizard would be more advantageous in the front. Those already fit the Fox 34 and I would think it would work on a Pike too.
    I already know there's no fitment issues with numerous forks it's the rear tri of readily avail frame sets i'm seeking instead of having a custom built.

default title
    Mar 2008
    My understanding is that the Stan Arch rims are more for CX than burly riding. You might be better off with Flows (if you stick with Stans), especially with looking at really wide tires. Internal rim width 25.5mm on the Flows vs 21.0mm on the Arch. Otherwise a strong base configuration.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    yeah I'm going for a 160 Pike and Flows/PRO2s

mtbr member
    The A to C on the Pike is short compared to the Fox fork that's stock on the Heckler. A 160mm Pike won't be an issue.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I already know there's no fitment issues with numerous forks it's the rear tri of readily avail frame sets i'm seeking instead of having a custom built.

I will grab the measurements on the rear tri when I get home, I have been meaning to for the last few days but have just been to busy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ok guys ordered my Large Tropicana Heckler today - should have it my next week ready to start building - bring it on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    There is about 3.5 inches between the rear stays.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    I will grab the measurements on the rear tri when I get home, I have been meaning to for the last few days but have just been to busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharityKase View Post
    There is about 3.5 inches between the rear stays.
    Thanks gentleman I appreciate the help. 3.5 may be on the cusp of having rub once a lill wheel or rubber wallow presents itself but atleast i have an idea to base my decision on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah both those posts where me, I didn't realize my wife was still signed in when I replied.