mtbr member
    Aug 2007

6' on an XL Bronson?

I am 6' with a long torso and long arms, anyone out there with similar dimensions running an XL bronson?

Was thinking I could run a super short stem on the XL vs a 60-70mm stem on the L

Thoughts?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Have you ridden either? Do you know you would need a longer stem on a large? I am 6 foot on a large and I definitely wouldn't want an XL. I don't necessarily have long arms or torso, but with 50mm stem and 760mm bars on long climbs I wish the reach was a tad bit shorter.

mtbr member
    I am 6'0" with a 78" boxing reach, meaning my wingspan to my fingertips is six inches greater than my height. This is atypical but not carnival freakish.

I would not ride a Bronson size XL because the only option you would have is a super short stem. What if that super short stem puts your center of gravity too far rearward? You'd be forced to narrow your bars and use a longer stem. A large puts you in the sweet spot where you can choose a wider range of stem lengths and bar width to match your desired bike handling characteristics and ergonomic fit.

The other reason not to is the longer wheelbase and standover height. You probably have plenty of actual standover, but if you don't have >7" seatpost showing, you can't run a 4" dropper post.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    To start with I think the OP would be happy on a large with his porportions.

I think it is obvious with all of the "what size for me threads out there" that we are fitting bikes differently than we were 5 years ago and the bike manufacturers are also building them with a different intent on fit. It is confusing and very difficult on paper to figure it out. Sometimes it is even difficult in person to find out which frame size, stem length and bar combo feels like it will be best for our intended use. Unless one falls dead center in the bike makers range stated in the size chart and has an average proportional body there is really no 100% correct answer. The effects on handling traits, both up and downhill, wheelbase, bar height and all of the other geometry changes that come with size changes are all factors that make a bike feel different from the same frame in a different size.

I have been on 6 different Santa Cruz bikes over the last 10 years and they have all been larges and I have loved them all. I have ridden anywhere from 100mm stems to 70mm with 750mm bars on a Tallboy LTc recently. In all configurations I have enjoyed the bikes. The one thing that happened when I shortened up the cockpit and pushed the seat back on the rails was that I felt I was not centered in the bike and that there was some sort of ghost play in the top end of the suspension that I could never get rid of. So, for the first time I am building an XL Bronson to see how the fit is. I am just under 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam. This height puts me in between the large and xl on paper. I feel like with a 50mm stem I should be right where I want to be over the pedals. Not in love with the idea of a longer wheelbase and taller head tube but I am willing to experiment and see how it goes. Sat on a large and with the seatpost at ride height it was plain silly, all of my other bikes were borderline. Santa Cruz has cut an inch off of their seat tube length to accommodate longer travel dropper post. Hoping I like the feel of the new bike but more importantly, when the hell will it get here?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I'm 6'1" and ride an XL. 760mm bars, 50mm stem. Perfect.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

bog
    mtbr member
    I'm 6'5" and couldn't imagine riding an XL Bronson because it is simply too short in reach. I demoed one and just couldn't get used to it when running anything less than a 90mm stem (I want 70mm at the most for my riding). I have a slightly longish upper body and prefer a bike with a bit more reach (like a Specialized XL or a SC XXL) combined with a shorter stem. IMO, if you have a tall upper body and want to run a short stem then you're better off on the XL. The seat tube is short enough not to look goofy either.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I'm 6'5" and couldn't imagine riding an XL Bronson because it is simply too short in reach.
    That's why the Tallboy is available in XXL. The OP as a long-armed 6'0" can ride either bike, but I think the large is likely to be a better choice. Demo rides with the correct stem & bars on each bike would be the one true way to know. However, that's a tall order, and it likely can't / won't happen.