mtbr member
    Jul 2011

5'8" guys check in with their Highballs....

Looking for feedback on both large and medium frames with their current setup. Currently I'm running a large, but I've been seriously considering going to a medium.

Recently I purchased a medium Ripley that fits me great with the reach and stack being very close to a medium Highball. I'm not quite sure if reach and stack apply to both Trail, AM, and XC setups? And to be honest, since the purchase of my Ripley the large Highball just seems big.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    at 5'8" you shouldnt be on a large anything; unless maybe youre running like a 28 mm stem somehow. Im just under 5'8" and medium SC's are perfect. Some other manufacturers; I can go small or med. i like almost the same total reach (frame reach + stem) for almost all disciplines, maybe a tad shorter for dh/longer for xc but i would never size up to a large. But I prefer the manuevarability of shortish bikes. However, the shortish 416 mm reach on the large highball is comparable to some maker's mediums; or even a small Kona process! I think teh current trend of bikes stretching out longer is going to make spine doctors a bunch of money down the road. at least sc isnt doing that too much
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    at 5'8" you shouldnt be on a large anything; unless maybe youre running like a 28 mm stem somehow. Im just under 5'8" and medium SC's are perfect. Some other manufacturers; I can go small or med. i like almost the same total reach (frame reach + stem) for almost all disciplines, maybe a tad shorter for dh/longer for xc but i would never size up to a large. But I prefer the manuevarability of shortish bikes. However, the shortish 416 mm reach on the large highball is comparable to some maker's mediums; or even a small Kona process! I think teh current trend of bikes stretching out longer is going to make spine doctors a bunch of money down the road. at least sc isnt doing that too much
    Picked up the medium, swapped parts from the large, and went for a ride. So far I really like the downsize. I choose some super steep climbs with some fast descents, went really well. I'll be hitting some flowy fast ST tomorrow just to confirm I'm happy with the current 75mm stem.

Thanks.

Just ride!
    I'm almost 5'8, and the medium fits perfect. I've used a 100 mm stem I the past, but I have been running a 90 mm stem for over a year with great results.