Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28

    5' 8" on small highball?

    So I am about 5'8" and looking at getting a Highball to make a single speed. Looks like the only sale frames are smalls. I like to run a short stem. Looks like by Santa Cruz sizing I should be on a medium. Would I be ok on a small frame with a short stem? Do not want to be cramped. Looks like the difference in the top tube lengths between the small and medium is not a lot. Anyone else out there my height on a small highball?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,822
    15 vs 16" reach.
    It can depend on your inseam. If you have a 32" inseam it might work.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28
    Inseam is 31"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,822
    780mm bars would eat up some reach.
    Setback seat post will also help although efficiency is important for ss.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    I'm 5'5, I grabbed one of the small Highball on sale... in the process of getting the parts sorted out... I guess it might be cramped for a 5'8... i also hope they bring back the SS swinger drop outs... out of stock so far... was going to build a SS as well...

  6. #6
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,240
    I would not recommend a S at 5'8".

    If you are gonna build a SS, you will be spending a lot of time standing, and that short frame is gonna feel even more cramped. I'm right at 6' and sometimes feel like the L w/ 90mm stem/780mm bars is too short, especially while standing.

    Go with a M.

    A good deal is joy a good deal if the bike doesn't fit.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3
    My bike shop ordered me a small frame highball instead of the medium after the fitting. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. The bike fits me well and I reckon if they ordered me the medium frame it probably might have been a little bigger than I wanted.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    549
    I'm just under 5 8" and own a medium Highball, I ride a medium Bronson and medium Tallboy also which are a good fit. For some reason I find the medium Highball just a little on the small side for me. I definitely would not go a size smaller

  9. #9
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,749
    I'm looking at getting one of those small alum frames also(Comp Cyclist). I noticed on the "sizing" chart on the SC site they start with mediums (guess new versions w/142 d/outs don't come in small?), couldn't find a chart on the previous alum model. At 5'-6.5" I'm usually on 16" frames which the small alum model geo chart seems to show that.

    Their sizing chart put me on the medium 26" Superlight tho which works out great. No way a small on it would have felt right.

    I would think you'd want the med Highball myself.
    Last edited by JMac47; 10-23-2014 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  10. #10
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,240
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I'm looking at getting one of those small alum frames also(Comp Cyclist). I noticed on the "sizing" chart on the SC site they start with mediums (guess new versions w/142 d/outs don't come in small?), couldn't find a chart on the previous alum model. At 5'-6.5" I'm usually on 16" frames which the small alum model geo chart seems to show that.

    Their sizing chart put me on the medium 26" Superlight tho which works out great. No way a small on it would have felt right.

    I would think you'd want the med Highball myself.
    You gotta pay attention to what you read.

    The Highball Al comes in sizes S-XL....even with 142x12 rear and 135mm SS option.

    The Highball C comes in sizes M-XXL....no SS option.

    Comp Cyclist may not have both size/geometry charts.

    Look at the SC website again...they are there.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    215
    At 5'7" I have a medium carbon with zero stand over clearance. Everything else fits fine. At 5'8" and a short stem I would go for a medium to be safe.

  12. #12
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,749
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    A good deal is joy a good deal if the bike doesn't fit.
    Typo?......
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  13. #13
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,749
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    You gotta pay attention to what you read.

    The Highball Al comes in sizes S-XL....even with 142x12 rear and 135mm SS option.

    The Highball C comes in sizes M-XXL....no SS option.

    Comp Cyclist may not have both size/geometry charts.

    Look at the SC website again...they are there.
    What part are you trying to correct me on? I said I couldn't see it, not that I sorted thru every link tab on the SC site for the Highball and it wasn't there. I just went back thru it for a bit and still don't see the sizing chart starting with a small frame.

    Anyway, the frames we are talking about, at least the OP and myself, are the alum "sale" frames which are 2013's. Still have the 30.9 seat tube/post and 135mm rear frame dropouts listed in those specs. And yes the newer frames are 142 with the SS dropouts in 135.

    And I think the geo stats are a little different from the alum to carbon are they not?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  14. #14
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,240
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What part are you trying to correct me on? I said I couldn't see it, not that I sorted thru every link tab on the SC site for the Highball and it wasn't there. I just went back thru it for a bit and still don't see the sizing chart starting with a small frame.

    Anyway, the frames we are talking about, at least the OP and myself, are the alum "sale" frames which are 2013's. Still have the 30.9 seat tube/post and 135mm rear frame dropouts listed in those specs. And yes the newer frames are 142 with the SS dropouts in 135.

    And I think the geo stats are a little different from the alum to carbon are they not?
    Santa Cruz Highball

    Click on the Geometry Tab.....the top section is the Al, the bottom section is the C.

    Yes, the geo is different between the materials.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  15. #15
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,749
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Santa Cruz Highball

    Click on the Geometry Tab.....the top section is the Al, the bottom section is the C.

    Yes, the geo is different between the materials.
    Yes...yes I had seen all that info. When you click on the sizing on the aluminum it appears to be the carbon as the chart started with medium. Just didnt see where the rider sizing range was for a small so the OP could determine where he would be on one.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  16. #16
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,749
    Quote Originally Posted by register View Post
    So I am about 5'8" and looking at getting a Highball to make a single speed. Looks like the only sale frames are smalls. I like to run a short stem. Looks like by Santa Cruz sizing I should be on a medium. Would I be ok on a small frame with a short stem? Do not want to be cramped. Looks like the difference in the top tube lengths between the small and medium is not a lot. Anyone else out there my height on a small highball?
    Curious what you ended up going with?? Inquiring mind(s)......
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 02:58 PM
  2. Highball Carbon as a "do it all" trail bike?
    By badgermtb in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-21-2012, 08:02 PM
  3. Highball C in size Small, hope they build it
    By dnb711 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 11:18 PM
  5. Highball size for small rider
    By rikk in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •