mtbr member

2x10 on Tallboy? Whats the pedal feedback like on 26t?

I'm strongly considering switching from 3x9 to 2x10 on the tallboy. The 38/26 should give me all the gears i need along with sone better chain management (why is no one making 9spd clutch deraillurlers?) but my big concern is getting pedal feedback on a the small 26 ring through a big range of must have gears. Anyone who has ridden a 22t chain ring should tell you the VPP feedback is atrocious with anything 20 or smaller in the rear. 32 up front, the problem goes away. Curious to hear any experiences on the 26 ring

mtbr member

My gears are 39/26 and the difference between 26 and 39 is noticeable, it doesn't bother me too much as I have other things on my mind when I have dropped to inner ring ;-)

Warrior's Society
    Will be less than what you get when pedaling in the 22t ring on your triple.

Really it is not that noticeable even with the triple.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you wont notice it much unless you like to climb standing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    figo is right, if and when i drop to the 22t, it means I have bigger problems than pedal bob. but yes, i do try to keep to my 32t as long as possible and simply power through if i can. (running 3x9 with the big ring replaced by a bash).
    :: Titus FTM :: Santa Cruz TallboyC :: OnOne 456evo2 ::

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I run a double ring with 32/24 and I don't notice pedal feedback. I think that when testing a bike or gearing changes you are focused on this and my notice some after riding a bike more I find this disappears into the background. Like when I first put a dropper post on my LTc I kept looking for seat play but after many rides I don't look for it at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you're happy with 9sp and just want chain management, try this a lot cheaper, love mine.
    Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Im judging from a quick search through the forums, the pedal feedback is something that most people either hate or dont mind at all. I personally fall into the haters camp which might have something to do with spending the last 10 years on Four-bar linkages.

Thanks for the lead on the chain management device. Ive never seen that one before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    you can make something very similar to that chain management device for very cheap at home... ill send you the details this afternoon if your interested. probably cost you like 8 bucks......

mtbr member

Re: 2x10 on Tallboy? Whats the pedal feedback like on 26t?

38 / 24 here. I really don't like the pedal feedback in the 24 and thus stay in the 38 for as long as possible. This has always been the big annoyance with vpp and probably the main reason I will be moving to a turner czar soon. That said, when the gear is used on a steep climb you won't notice it as much as on the flat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoPumpChump View Post
    Im judging from a quick search through the forums, the pedal feedback is something that most people either hate or dont mind at all. I personally fall into the haters camp which might have something to do with spending the last 10 years on Four-bar linkages.

Thanks for the lead on the chain management device. Ive never seen that one before.
    I do the 32/22 thing. I think the pedal feedback is grossly exaggerated. Truth is, I only use the 22T on very long climbs and almost exclusively with the big cog in back. If I'm going that slow, then pedal feedback is really not something of high concern. :/ I sugest dropping the big ring and just riding 32/22 and report back in a month weather you really "run out of gears" like some suggest.

I rode a 4bar for a while. It's ok. Very plush but I hated how it would squat on climbs.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I do the 32/22 thing. I think the pedal feedback is grossly exaggerated. Truth is, I only use the 22T on very long climbs and almost exclusively with the big cog in back. If I'm going that slow, then pedal feedback is really not something of high concern. :/ I sugest dropping the big ring and just riding 32/22 and report back in a month weather you really "run out of gears" like some suggest.

I rode a 4bar for a while. It's ok. Very plush but I hated how it would squat on climbs.

+1 to previous

mtbr member
    I use the 26/38 XT with XT chain, XT cassette and XT rear detrailer. Smooth faultless changing. I cant say I have actually noticed feedback. BUT what I can say is they recommend a chain length of large /large +2 links. I'm on large /large +6 links. Much better!
    Supporting the Burry Gap.

mtbr member
    I use the 26/38 XT with XT chain, XT cassette and XT rear detrailer. Smooth faultless changing. I cant say I have actually noticed feedback. BUT what I can say is they recommend a chain length of large /large +2 links. I'm on large /large +6 links. Much better! TBLTc.....
    Supporting the Burry Gap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post

I dont really think its a matter of exageration as much as it is perception. If you never eat spicy food tabasco taste pretty hot. I had been on Turner bikes up until the Tboy and for whatever reason the do not seem to squat on me (unlike the Titus before). I still have the RFX and it is a tremendous pedaler.

I decided on a 42-32-24 tripple since i do a fair bit of racing. Im going with a sram xx 11-36 cassette on my race wheelset and 11-36 xtr on my trail wheelset.
    Ill be sure to report back on the 3x9 vs 3x10.

Paste eater
    Here is a comparison between 32T and 42T and a standard 11-34T cassete as your big ring. Yes, I know there is a 11-36T cassette but for this exercise it makes no difference and it wasn't an option. Any how, notice that you only gain 2 taller gears. Maybe that's important to the OP - i'm just suggesting that 32/22 double is that path of least resistance and is worth a shot. People often think they use the big ring "all the time" and the actually might. It's just that they can find those gears with a 32 99% IMO...

2x10 on Tallboy? Whats the pedal feedback like on 26t?-screen-shot-2013-05-12-10.12.26-pm.png2x10 on Tallboy? Whats the pedal feedback like on 26t?-screen-shot-2013-05-12-10.12.30-pm.png

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm new to the VPP world, with about 5 rides on my TB LTC (3x10). I've also been a Turner homer for years (4 bar burner, TNT flux, DW Sultan). I've always ridden triples. Maybe I'm less perceptive about bob and pedal feedback, but I don't notice any excess issues with the LTC in the small ring on steep climbs. I've been paying attention to this over the last few rides, and just don't notice any problems (considering that it's a 140mm full susp bike). I've been faster up my typical steep climbs on the LTC than I'd been on the sultan or on my steel hardtail. It feels balanced, stable, and fast once up to speed. FWIW, I do stay in the saddle most of the time.

Is the pedal feedback an issue when standing and climbing, or also an issue when seated? I guess I should just be glad that this issue doesn't bother me.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    Is the pedal feedback an issue when standing and climbing, or also an issue when seated? I guess I should just be glad that this issue doesn't bother me.
    Previously I ran a 22_34 double up front on my tallboy. The only time I really noticed feedback was while standing and pedaling. While seated it really isn't noticeable. The feedback bothered me, but (to me) the benefits of the bike as a whole outweighed this minor issue. I recently switched to XX1 and all is right with the world again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have ridden my TBLTc with a 32/22 and when in the 22 its usually steep and loose so no standing for me. I really don't notice any unwanted pedal feel. I recently went back to the 24 small ring and the bike climbs better with a bit more push from the legs. Most of the climbs in my area [ little ring ones ] don't have enough traction to stand in the granny gear, Slick Rock trail excepted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was on 39/26 last year and I could feel the feedback in the 26, not at all in the 39 ring. It didn't bother met "terribly" but was noticeable. I've also gone to XX1 (32 front thinking of going 34) this year and don't notice any pedal feedback at all and only got 140 miles on the system so far but absolutely love XX1 on the tallboy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoPumpChump View Post
    I'm strongly considering switching from 3x9 to 2x10 on the tallboy. The 38/26 should give me all the gears i need along with sone better chain management (why is no one making 9spd clutch deraillurlers?) but my big concern is getting pedal feedback on a the small 26 ring through a big range of must have gears. Anyone who has ridden a 22t chain ring should tell you the VPP feedback is atrocious with anything 20 or smaller in the rear. 32 up front, the problem goes away. Curious to hear any experiences on the 26 ring
    The blurXC(1st gen.) was my first dualie. While there were other redeeming features about the bike,
    the one glaring fly in the ointment was the pedal feedback. (I was running a triple)
    On loose climbs it would break traction in the rear if I tried to get off the saddle more than a few inches.

This was cooupled with very annoying pedal kick in the granny ring (I usually ran the 2 largest cogs).
    On occasion, the pedal stall would knock me out of the pedals when I was climbing anything remotely
    technical. If I rode a trail whose features brought out the most pedal feedback I woulod have
    knee pain for hours after the ride and even into the next day at times. (My saddle position, cleat alignment,
    etc. was fine)

All this led up to my selling the bike after only 6 mos. of use at a 1000 dollar loss. I stuck to variations
    of the four bar linkage for my next 3 bikes due to my fear of pedal feedback on dual link bikes.

I finally got up the courage to try another mini link bike last year. The pedal feedback on this bike, a dw-link,
    is imperceptable with a 26t granny.