Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cchough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    147

    28.3 lbs. Blur XC w/ X.O.?!?

    I went down to my LBS and test rode a Medium Anodized Blur XC w/ a Fox F100RLC and the full X.O. kit. When it was weighed on the shop scale, it came out to 28.3 lbs. Isn't that absurdly heavy for a Blur XC w/ the X.O. kit? True the steerer was not yet cut and the platform pedals looked heavy so the final weight might come down a touch but not to the 23-24 lbs that I've seen posted elsewhere. Was the shop scale just way off?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    67

    Mine weighs..........

    I have an XC with full X.0 and crank Bros titanium Eggbeater pedals, DT Swiss hubs on Mavic rims and Race Face Deus crank.

    25.8 lbs confirmed.

    I could reduce it with lighter brakes (Magura) and carbon seatpost and bars.

    The wheels make a huge difference in weight. what wheels are on the bike?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    401
    Are you sure it wasn't a Blur LT? That's a bit more than what my BLT weighs with XO components.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cchough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by nacraman
    I have an XC with full X.0 and crank Bros titanium Eggbeater pedals, DT Swiss hubs on Mavic rims and Race Face Deus crank.

    25.8 lbs confirmed.

    I could reduce it with lighter brakes (Magura) and carbon seatpost and bars.

    The wheels make a huge difference in weight. what wheels are on the bike?
    I believe it was the DT Swiss 340 Hubs w/ 4.1d rims. I suppose you could drop a bit of weight there - according to the SC website, the X.O. kit should have the 240 hubs. 25ish was more in line with what I was expecting. Maybe the scale was off.

    Thanks,

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cchough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    147

    Nope, it was definitely an XC...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Man
    Are you sure it wasn't a Blur LT? That's a bit more than what my BLT weighs with XO components.
    Yeah, I had that same thought as he pulled it off the scale so I double checked. It was an XC... unless was it an LT in XC's clothing. The plot thickens...

    Thanks,

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    780
    Did it have an AM build? Something is fishy here...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    698
    I have built a few of the xt bikes and they have been in the 26lbs range with pedals, XTR bikes have been in the 24.5-25 lbs range. Haven't built an X.O one yet. What tires did it have on it? that can make a pound or more difference.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cchough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    147
    I don't think it was an AM build, except that it had DT 340 hubs rather than the 240 hubs. This tires were Kenda Nevengal and they looked to be 2.1 or so. Nothing out of the ordinary. It sounds like that bike was an exception. Maybe a bad scale.

    Thanks,

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124
    Extra weight is the price you pay for disk brakes. Disc are great if you live in an area where you need them but it would be nice to see Santa Cruz include studs for v's on their racing bikes. It is pretty easy to build up an inexpensive sub 25 pound Blur or Superlight with v's but very expensive with disks.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    67

    Mine has disks...

    My 25.8 lb. Blur XC (X.0) has disk brakes (Avid Juicy 7). There is no way the 340 s hubs add that kind of weight. Can you list the components?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cchough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    147
    I believe the components were:

    Fox F100RLC (uncut steer w/ at least 4" of spacers)
    Fox RP23
    King Headset
    Thompson Stem (110mm) & Elite Seatpost
    Truvativ Stylo Cranks w/ GXP BB
    RaceFace Carbon Lo-riser bars
    Lizardskin Logo grips
    X.O. trigger Shifters
    Juicy Brakes (looked like 160)
    XT FD
    X.O. RD
    WTB Ti. railed saddle
    DT Swiss 340S hubs w/ 4.1d rims
    Kenda Nevengal tires
    Cheapie platform pedals

    Pretty much a straight X.O. kit with the exception of the DT 340 hubs. I gotta think that the scale was off. I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a Blur XC frame. When I saw that weight, I was stunned but I figured 28 lbs isn't exactly a boat anchor and bikes always weigh more than advertised. Of course, I'll be much happier at ~25lbs!

    Thanks,

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    124
    That isn't exactly a light build kit and the heavier wheels and pedals could easily put it into the 28 pound range.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    780
    Well, the Stylo cranks are what they have on the AM kit (Noir on the xc I believe) but the AM wheels are 5.1 not 4.1.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cchough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    147
    I figured that the Noir cranks weren't available yet. They had 2 other X.O. spec'ed Blurs that also had the Stylo Team cranks. Maybe it was a mish-mash of various parts and not an official Santa Cruz X.O. kit.

  15. #15
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough
    I believe the components were:

    Fox F100RLC (uncut steer w/ at least 4" of spacers)
    Fox RP23
    King Headset
    Thompson Stem (110mm) & Elite Seatpost
    Truvativ Stylo Cranks w/ GXP BB
    RaceFace Carbon Lo-riser bars
    Lizardskin Logo grips
    X.O. trigger Shifters
    Juicy Brakes (looked like 160)
    XT FD
    X.O. RD
    WTB Ti. railed saddle
    DT Swiss 340S hubs w/ 4.1d rims
    Kenda Nevengal tires
    Cheapie platform pedals

    Pretty much a straight X.O. kit with the exception of the DT 340 hubs. I gotta think that the scale was off. I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a Blur XC frame. When I saw that weight, I was stunned but I figured 28 lbs isn't exactly a boat anchor and bikes always weigh more than advertised. Of course, I'll be much happier at ~25lbs!

    Thanks,
    Scale must be off - that build wouldn't weigh over 27lbs IMO.


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    209
    Thats way not right. My XC is 23.5 lbs but its a custom build. Basically all XO with some changes. chris king hubs etc. 28 is just not right. Maybe it had huge heavy tires and stuff on it I dont know, but thats just not right.

  17. #17
    gal
    gal is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    55

    my blur xc

    my blur XC weight only 9.6 kg\ 21 lbs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •