mtbr member
    Aug 2010

27.5 Santa Cruz Heckler Reviewed

2014 Santa Cruz Heckler: Reviewed - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

Pretty good review but, I have one question for those that have owned a Heckler. Does it really climb as good as he says it does? Could this all be attributed to the platform on the rear shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My 2006 Heckler climbed very well, and I only used the shock's platform on the road and super steep climbs to keep the bike higher in its travel. I never felt like I was losing efficiency from pedal bob. Quite a few people say single-pivots bob a lot, but the Heckler seems to have an ideal pivot placement.

boomer
    I concur with r24; my '04 Heckler never bobbed much unless standing and hammering. I never noticed much of the much mentioned brake jack but did notice some flex in the frame when ragging it down the hillside but surely they've come a long way in that regard since then.
    Calvin

guru meditation
    Climbing root and rock filled New England trails are a piece of cake on mine (2012 vers), not a problem to do it seated just for the hell of it.

mtbr member
    heckler for my son. done.
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member

Re: 27.5 Santa Cruz Heckler Reviewed

My Heckler climbs great, especially in the middle and small ring. I use propedal on the longer climbs with great success. I actually have been able to conquer two short steep climbs that I could never do with my old bike.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    2004 Hecker, with DHX5.0 & 140mm Vans climbs very well. I clean climbs that a lot of my mates don't!

mtbr member
    A Heckler was my first SC bike back in '97 or so. Glad to see it get a nice update and some love in the press...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Creepy tooth fairy

The original do-it-all bike...

Since it's inception the Heckler has been a terrific bike in any facet of riding you may encounter. Now, I am not saying that it is a perfect XC steed or DH sled, but for most peeps it rips. This coupled with the fact that you can build it up a 100 ways to Sunday to accentuate whatever attributes you desire. You want a stellar climbing Heckler? Then build it with lightweight wheels and a more XC-orriented kit. How about more of a DH bomber? No problem. That said, right about in the middle is where it thrives. I have owned two of them ('00 and '04) and its link driven big brother the Butcher. They all have been decent climbers outta of the box. However, upgrading the shock to high-end number like the Cane Creek Double Air will make it stellar. I ran a CCDB coil on my '04 and it felt better than just about anything including the first VPP numbers. I may very well acquire a current Heckler next year. I have no reservations doing so regarding any performance areas.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i've had one since the release. It climbs like a champ in my opinion. Dropped the big ring and got wider bars. wouldn't change it for anything

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCshredder View Post
    i've had one since the release. It climbs like a champ in my opinion. Dropped the big ring and got wider bars. wouldn't change it for anything
    Any pics BCshredder?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    27.5 Santa Cruz Heckler Reviewed-heck.jpg27.5 Santa Cruz Heckler Reviewed-photo-2013-08-07-15.56.jpg27.5 Santa Cruz Heckler Reviewed-photo-2013-08-14-13.05.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyPDX View Post
    Any pics BCshredder?