Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014

650b Heckler Thread

This thread is way over due considering the 650b Hecklers have been out for over a year, and I know there are plenty of older ones converted as well. We should have a dedicated thread to discuss and show them off. Post pics of them up here along with your mods list and your favorite trails to ride.

I just got this on Friday and had its first real ride today. 2015 black/yellow R build.

Last edited by molon_labe; 10-29-2014 at 11:34 AM.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe View Post
    This thread is way over due considering the 27.5" Hecklers have been out for over a year, and I know there are plenty of older ones converted as well. Post em up here along with your mods list.

I just got this on Friday and had its first real ride today. 2015 black/yellow R build.

Well, there's this thred http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/jus...ld-923050.html but you're right not too many pix!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Well, there's this thred http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/jus...ld-923050.html but you're right not too many pix!
    I figured a designated picture thread should probably be in the Santa Cruz forum and not the 27.5" forum. It seems like every other model has a picture thread except the Heckler, which has been around for almost 2 decades in one form or another. I guess it's old news in the world of VPP and carbon bikes.

NedwannaB
    I guess it's old news in the world of VPP and carbon bikes.
    No way. Nice setup you've got. I almost got one but went with a Superlight instead.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Ride On
    27.5" Heckler Picture Thread-p9121024-copy.jpg
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Awesome, I was hoping for a thread like this.... I will have to get some pictures up....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Mine

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice. Are you guys running 100 or 125mm droppers?

Ride On
    125mm
    Michael

Ride on!

Ride On

27.5" Heckler Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by topcatno1 View Post
    Mine

Nice build!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    From this morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topcatno1 View Post
    Mine

Hey how do you like that fork?

mtbr member
    Also what are your settings on that shock. I'm running the same one

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Short video of a section of trail from today's ride. Watch in HD.

<iframe width="525" height="295" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T3yszu5CECU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

mtbr member
    May 2014
    One more short snippet from yesterday.

<iframe width="525" height="295" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1uQrqLXzndA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    May 2014
    For those of you wondering if the Heckler is a good climber.

<iframe width="525" height="295" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4pOi3rmSZiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here is the full section captured on the descent if you're curious how it looks going to other direction.

<iframe width="525" height="295" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Gdf08jvbdTk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    From this morning.

Why does the frame look like it's Matte Black? Thought it was glossy. Did you do anything specific to make it have that matte look?

Wanted a TBLT initially but I can't afford it - the other frame on my shortlist (a PYGA
    OneTen29) is also quite pricey so I think I just might get a Heckler. I'm kinda torn because of the single pivot... I've ridden a Horst Link titus el guapo and a iDrive GT Force. Not sure if I'll like the single pivot characteristics/traits. Any wisdom you can share on that end?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It's is actually more of a dark gray matte metallic finish and not so much black or glossy. As far as the single pivot goes I'm not the best to comment. This is my first single pivot and first 650b, I'm not a professional and I'm not a suspension expert. I k ow for the riding I've done for the past few weeks of owning it I've been very pleased and impressed. I haven't noticed any of the negative stuff people talk about with single pivots. Unless you have a lot of time on a VPP/dual linkage type pivot bike I'd bet you probably wouldn't really notice any issues either. Take it for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's is actually more of a dark gray matte metallic finish and not so much black or glossy. As far as the single pivot goes I'm not the best to comment. This is my first single pivot and first 650b, I'm not a professional and I'm not a suspension expert. I k ow for the riding I've done for the past few weeks of owning it I've been very pleased and impressed. I haven't noticed any of the negative stuff people talk about with single pivots. Unless you have a lot of time on a VPP/dual linkage type pivot bike I'd bet you probably wouldn't really notice any issues either. Take it for what it's worth.
    haha haven't had a significant amount of time on dual link bikes - just a GT iDrive system and a horst link/fsr el guapo. I'm assuming the single pivot pedals like the iDrive. Thanks man. haha.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    haha haven't had a significant amount of time on dual link bikes - just a GT iDrive system and a horst link/fsr el guapo. I'm assuming the single pivot pedals like the iDrive. Thanks man. haha.
    You will probably love the heckler and not think twice about it being a single pivot. I'm clearing technical climb sections easier than I do on my 29er XC bike. Going down there is no comparison between the two. The fact I can tighten and service the pivot bearings without even having to remove the crank is by itself worth the minor trade offs that may or may not be present in the single pivot. I could have gotten a carbon 5010 for $200 more than my heckler and money wasn't the reason I made the decision I did. The stories of brake jack and pedal feedback are exacerbated on the Internet by people who repeat what they read and likely have no experience. A very small percentage of those are probably riding at the level required to benefit from a VPP. Just my opinion.

As much as I'd like to imagine I'll be riding in the enduro world series if only I had a nicer bike to practice on, from time to time I remind myself to stay grounded in reality and remember that I ride to have fun and improve my own technical ability. A bike that's easy to service, will last me a long time, and is fun as hell to ride is far more important than a suspension design most people won't benefit from.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's definitely in the top 3 bikes I'm looking at. And the only 27.5 - the other two are 29ers haha. This seems like the most cost efficient choice (as the TBLT will burn a HUGE hole in my pocket)

mtbr member
    The stories of brake jack and pedal feedback are exacerbated on the Internet by people who repeat what they read and likely have no experience. A very small percentage of those are probably riding at the level required to benefit from a VPP. Just my opinion.

As much as I'd like to imagine I'll be riding in the enduro world series if only I had a nicer bike to practice on, from time to time I remind myself to stay grounded in reality and remember that I ride to have fun and improve my own technical ability. A bike that's easy to service, will last me a long time, and is fun as hell to ride is far more important than a suspension design most people won't benefit from.
    Amen brother. It's good to see some people still manage to think straight on MTBR!!!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    It's definitely in the top 3 bikes I'm looking at. And the only 27.5 - the other two are 29ers haha. This seems like the most cost efficient choice (as the TBLT will burn a HUGE hole in my pocket)
    What kind of trails/riding are you doing? I am new to the whole 27.5 wheel size but if your trails are tight and twisty with technical switchbacks and stuff like some of the climbs around here, the smaller wheels are noticeably more maneuverable than my 29er. The Heckler even has a 1" longer wheelbase and it still turns significantly tighter. Where I miss the 29er is when the trails open up and smooth out, those bigger wheels just roll along but the 27.5 is not far behind so for me and the riding I do the trade-off is worth it.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    A+ for originality. Don't often get that view.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast