Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 26ing a bronson

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

26ing a bronson

I like the idea of a bronson and am thinking it would be awesome with 26 wheels. Kind of old / noo skool. Anyone thinking of long shocking one with offset bearings, bigger volume tyres etc?

mtbr member
    SC, the montain bike experts, spent a whole 20 years developing this bike and you want to go and phukit up!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    SC, the montain bike experts, spent a whole 20 years developing this bike and you want to go and phukit up!
    Let the man do it. Look how long SC designed the TRC. Then look at the 650b TRC thread and see how many people love it. Without individuals who think outside the box and put it into action the world would be a boring place. Don't listen to this guy, he can't even spell Shawn right, EVERYONE knows it's Sean!

-Sean

cranktankerous Mainer
    A 26 Bronson would ride really good if you were a Troll, otherwise I don't see the logic.
    Been there, done that... don't remember it.
    Bronson, Tallboy & Highball

mtbr member
    this thread makes me LOL. good trollin!

my next idea is to put 26er wheels on a TBLTc with a dual crown BOxxer!! that thing would SLAY!

MTB B'dos
    Hey, wouldn't it be cool to buy a Ferrari Testarosa and change out the performance wheels and tyres to some stock ones off a SUV?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well... According to one article, bikemag I think, they only did 650 because the Internet bowners/customers wanted it.

If it was 26 with a shorter back end it would be more to my liking, but I see the logic in going to the middie wheel. Gotta get paid.

I like the idea of 26 rear and 27 front as well. Mixing wheel sizes didn't seem to catch on last time round.

If you 26 it post up. I think it's a worthy idea - and fun. Like OP said - if we run everything stock and in our comfort zone life is boring. Shake it. You might get that Yahtzee!
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Great idea!

Think it would work best on the top of the line $10,000.00 bike due to component spec, but since the wheels have to go send me those Enve's and Ill send you my old 26" wheels and I'll even pick up the shipping!

Lets git 'er done!

GMM
    mtbr member
    I'd actually like to see one. BB certainly seems to have enough room. I'd also use an angle set to steepen the HA. Bring that wheel base in a bit. Never understand why the E crowd gets so upset when someone expresses an interest that is different than the majority. Btw, think the 650b version would be a blast as well. Just a little too downhill biased for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    Let the man do it. Look how long SC designed the TRC. Then look at the 650b TRC thread and see how many people love it. Without individuals who think outside the box and put it into action the world would be a boring place.

-Sean
    The difference with the 650b TRc is that nobody was making a nice carbon 650b trail bike, so people had to do conversions.

If you want a 26" Bronson, why not just get one of the already great 26" all-mountain bikes?

swag ho Administrator
    I tried it. It sucks monkey balls. Move along.
    IPA will save America

Formerly of Kent
    So, why not just get a Blur LTc?

Greystoke
    Hmm.. How about 29er front & 26er rear....Has that been done yet?

The so called "Twenty years in the Making" is hilarious in its self.
    "Twenty years in the Marketing" is closer to the truth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    The so called "Twenty years in the Making" is hilarious in its self.
    "Twenty years in the Marketing" is closer to the truth.
    And, what's wrong with that?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

GMM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    So, why not just get a Blur LTc?
    For me the TT length of the Blur LTc was too short. Otherwise would have bought one. TRc was much better geo for me at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I don't know guys... I think I could probably make completely random geometry changes to a design from a renowned bike company and end up with a sweet ride. Anyone tried running their fork backwards? Negative offset is the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by munkyboy View Post
    I like the idea of a bronson and am thinking it would be awesome with 26 wheels. Kind of old / noo skool. Anyone thinking of long shocking one with offset bearings, bigger volume tyres etc?

And so it begins .....

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I don't know guys... I think I could probably make completely random geometry changes to a design from a renowned bike company and end up with a sweet ride. Anyone tried running their fork backwards? Negative offset is the future.
    Now if that negative offset gets marketed correctly ...

mtbr member
    Donít mind the look of the Bronson myself but my shed is full of good 26-inch wheels including a nice set of Enve AM. For me, running the Bronson as a 26er would get the bike on the trail for the frame-only admission price, as well as allowing me to get some value out of the gear that Iíve already paid for. In time I could save for some 650b wheels and complete the package.
    Most 650b trail wheels that Iíve measured have been between 700-705mm in outer diameter (27.5 to 27.75 inch). My 26-inch wheels with 2.35 Hans Damph tyres come in at 685mm (27-inch). That means the smaller wheels will lower the BB by 7 to 10mm.
    Santa Cruz quotes a BB height of 346mm (13.6Ē) for the Bronson, so that should drop to 337ish (13.3Ē) as a 26er. Thatís pretty low but itís still higher than the Blur TR which is 333mm (13.1Ē). Of course youíll be running more sag on the longer travel Bronson and that could make it unfeasibly low. It probably depends on whether pedal strikes are a problem for you. Other 150mm travel 26-inch trail bikes do run BB heights in this area; the Yeti SB66 stands at 340mm (13.4Ē) for example.
    The idea isnít totally silly and on paper it could work. Would be interesting to see how it pans out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Re: 26ing a bronson

It would probably work great. The BB is not overly low and you're only giving up about 19mm max in BB height.

It would be low, but not drastically so. I just don't know what the axle to crown length is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OP, I think this presents a great question; personally I would prefer a 26" version. If anyone actually does this please post their results!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JHwick View Post
    Donít mind the look of the Bronson myself but my shed is full of good 26-inch wheels including a nice set of Enve AM. For me, running the Bronson as a 26er would get the bike on the trail for the frame-only admission price, as well as allowing me to get some value out of the gear that Iíve already paid for. In time I could save for some 650b wheels and complete the package.
    Most 650b trail wheels that Iíve measured have been between 700-705mm in outer diameter (27.5 to 27.75 inch). My 26-inch wheels with 2.35 Hans Damph tyres come in at 685mm (27-inch). That means the smaller wheels will lower the BB by 7 to 10mm.
    Santa Cruz quotes a BB height of 346mm (13.6Ē) for the Bronson, so that should drop to 337ish (13.3Ē) as a 26er. Thatís pretty low but itís still higher than the Blur TR which is 333mm (13.1Ē). Of course youíll be running more sag on the longer travel Bronson and that could make it unfeasibly low. It probably depends on whether pedal strikes are a problem for you. Other 150mm travel 26-inch trail bikes do run BB heights in this area; the Yeti SB66 stands at 340mm (13.4Ē) for example.
    The idea isnít totally silly and on paper it could work. Would be interesting to see how it pans out on the trail.
    There is a lot of sense to JHwick's post, especially the garage full of wheels and economics side of things.

This weekend I measured a buddies 650b-2.35 Hans Dampf's and my 26" 2.5 Minion DHF Exo. Difference in circumference, only 4mm! These were not both brand new tires, and were mounted on different rims, but regardless, it was not a huge difference. Not sure how big the 650b Maxxis DHF 2.5's will measure, would guess bigger. Anyone find a on-line list of tire circumference measurements as reference?

Definitely made me think a little harder about if I would actually need to replace all my 26" wheels or could upgrade a single rim/tire set + Frame/Fork and leave the other on 26" with larger tires without really changing much geom wise?

mtbr member
    wh not try a 26 rear and a 16 front a banana seat and some monkey high rise bars on it and call it a retro banana crate
    ďAn adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.Ē Marco Polo

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    wh not try a 26 rear and a 16 front a banana seat and some monkey high rise bars on it and call it a retro banana crate
    I remember those Schwinn bikes! My bro had the Lemon Peeler, I was stuck with a Stingray. Good times! My LBS has a Apple Krate in the basement that gets ridden on occasion. Thanks for the post, brings back some memories.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    comparing the TR to the Bronson BB height, you've also got an extra inch of travel. But in reality, you'll probably have a ripper of a bike, one that has a really low BB (or maybe you can put a 170mm fork on it if you have one of those in that garage).

buy it, ride it, then measure it and take pictures. we'll be here waiting.
    here we go again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast