mtbr member

2015 Chameleon Stem Length - What are you running?

I just purchased a 2015 SantaCruz Chameleon R Build in size medium, although have not received it yet, won't be in for a couple of weeks. Already buying stuff for it and don't even have it...LOL. Purchased a set of Race Face Atlas pedals in green, loving them so much want to order a set of Atlas bars 35mm diameter with 20mm rise in green also. Which leads me to the dilemma of needing a 35mm dia Atlas stem also. I know length is preference and fit, and I'm torn between a 35mm and a 50mm length, stock is 60mm on medium chameleon. I am 5'8" and looking to use the bike for a more aggressive standing hammering down style of riding even in the flats and on XC/ AM style trails with a little downhill mixed in at some local parks. Curious of what you guys are running on length of stem and on what size bike and your height???. Thanks guys any feedback would be appreciated .

mtbr member
    id just wait and ride it and see how if feels. visualize from there

congrats.. nice ride!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I know, just the OCD in me wanting to buy buy buy...LOL even if i had it to ride now I would still be looking for input on what others are doing on the 2013 and newer Chameleons in regards to the stem length . Thanks for the quick response though, I've never started a thread before on a forum and figured this would be as good of a time as any seeing I can't quite find anything on the net specifically talking about this topic on the newer 2013 -2015 chameleons
    Always Ride Hard, Hammer Down and Whip It Big!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I dont have a Chameleon but I have a Blur TR. Been experimenting with stem size and I say go as small as you possibly can while maintaining proper fit. I find that my bike feels better the smaller the stem gets. Im running a 60mm/725mm stem bar combo and love it.
    2014 650b SC Blur TR - 2013 Chiner CF 29er - 1988 Schwinn Prologue - 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5

mtbr member
    Just an update, picked up my chameleon today and i was more than impressed exceeded my expectations in every way, way more robust and beefy of a bike than the pictures depict. Cant wait to ride it have to heal another 6 weeks or so from shoulder surgery. As soon as I got it home I installed the Race Face Atlas 35mmx50mm stem and 20mm rise Atlas bars, I will post picks in the next day or so. While I have some readers here, I have a question that someone may or may not know. When I took the cap and top spacer off the stock stem the spacer was just floating ontop of stem. the steer tube wasnt protruding past the top of stem for the extra spacer to actually sit on. As a matter of fact the steer tube was cut down about an 1/8 of an inch below top of stem?? Whats the point of Santa Cruz supplying that extra spacer to put on the
    bottom, I cant run that third spacer on the bottom the stem is cut to short the top bolt of the stem clamping surface would sit right on the edge of top or even above it a little? I am baffled by this, sent an email to Santa Cruz tech but havnt heard back yet. Clearly somebody made a huge mistake and cut the tube to short, unless that length is SC intent, but why then would they have the extra one on top. because the way it is the top cap doesnt even sit right cause its concave is sitting in the spacer but the spacer has no tube to sit on its just floating. Does anyone know if the bike shop cuts these steer tubes when they build them or was it cut at SC. Any insight would be appreciated,.. thanks guys!!