mtbr member
    Oct 2014

2015 Bronson Setup help needed (Carbon S)

Hi guys,

Thanks to the advice of many of you on here, I decided to purchase a Bronson Carbon S, and received my excellent looking Satin Black/Magenta Bronson this week! Took it out for a first ride this morning and loved it.

However I noticed that the bike came with little to no documentation on suspension setup. The documents from Rockshox and Fox are basically just warranty and warning documents rather than real setup guides.

So let's start with myself. I weigh 170 pounds without gear.

Now on to the Fox CTD shock. This shock only has rebound damping, and 3 modes (climb, trail, descend) as you guys already know. I have put the amount of pressure in required for my weight and am going to ensure I have between 12 and 15mm of sag. But what about the rebound? How many clicks does this shock have? And where is a good starting point?

On the fork (Pike), im running about 55PSI and have about 25% Sag. Now can someone help with a base point for Rebound and compression damping? That would be much appreciated also.

Thanks in advance guys, ill post pics when i get a chance. Bike is stunning and rides well so far.

Warrior's Society
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member

for the shock rebound start as fast as possible without having the tire leaving the floor after a full compress in descent mode, after that adapt to your trail riding style! I never bother changing the modes and always ride in trail, I'm not really sure how much rebound I have on my shock now but after a few rides it fealt like I'd go otb on steeps descents so I slowed it down click by click until I found the sweet spot!

I have a different bike but the process is the same!

mtbr member
    On the fork 5 clicks of rebound and 5 clicks of compression is a good starting point. However, 55 psi is probably going to be on the low side for your weight unless you're not pushing it hard. You should add at least 10 psi and adjust depending on amount of travel used. On the shock, 4 clicks of rebound damping should be about right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks guys. I'm running 20% Sag in the forks and about 12mm on the shock.

Fork clickers-
    compression 7 clicks in
    rebound 4 clicks out

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Can you guys help me out on the fork rebound setting?

I've backed out the rebound all the way out and then turned in (hard/slow) 5 clicks.

mtbr member
    ^^ Stop, you're dialed! Also I run 20% sag and 7 clicks LSC on my Pike w/ one token on a 150mm version.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    ^^ Stop, you're dialed! Also I run 20% sag and 7 clicks LSC on my Pike w/ one token on a 150mm version.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Hi G Man, I realised the Pike has two markings for Sag, one for 160mm, and one for 150mm. I know the label option that applies to me is the 150mm because that is what comes on the Bronson. But does Rockshox do this to simplify their manufacturing or does this fork extend to 160mm also?

Regarding the current performance. I did some aggressive riding yesterday and had to go in 8-9 clicks on compression as I was able to utilise full travel a couple times. Wondering If I should either increase Air pressure or try adding a token. As mentioned, I was only able to use full travel a handful of times.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with using full travel on the biggest features you ride. That's what it's for.

Are you feeling a harsh bottom-out, or is it still a nice plush landing? Are you using up too much travel when you grab the front brake?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtek5 View Post
    Hi G Man, I realised the Pike has two markings for Sag, one for 160mm, and one for 150mm. I know the label option that applies to me is the 150mm because that is what comes on the Bronson. But does Rockshox do this to simplify their manufacturing or does this fork extend to 160mm also?

Regarding the current performance. I did some aggressive riding yesterday and had to go in 8-9 clicks on compression as I was able to utilise full travel a couple times. Wondering If I should either increase Air pressure or try adding a token. As mentioned, I was only able to use full travel a handful of times.
    To change the travel you need to get a new air shaft. The air assembly is the same for all Pike versions, thus the stamped gradients for both 150 and 160 on the stanchions.

As for performance, 8-9 clicks is only adjusting low speed compression which is bypassed on big hits so it has no effect on bottoming but does have an effect on keeping the fork up higher in the travel (preventing dive). If you feel you plan to go bigger then I would add a token. If not and you didn't notice harsh bottoming, then you're perfect where it's at.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    To change the travel you need to get a new air shaft. The air assembly is the same for all Pike versions, thus the stamped gradients for both 150 and 160 on the stanchions.

As for performance, 8-9 clicks is only adjusting low speed compression which is bypassed on big hits so it has no effect on bottoming but does have an effect on keeping the fork up higher in the travel (preventing dive). If you feel you plan to go bigger then I would add a token. If not and you didn't notice harsh bottoming, then you're perfect where it's at.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I read somehwere that on the PIke RC you are adjusting the High and Low speed compression together with the dial? That's not true?

I do notice some dive under braking, but again, if my sag is at 20% then isnt this what I should be concerned about most? And wouldn't adding additional air pressure essentially change the spring rate? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Not true.

Yeah, if you're bike is really diving bad then you need a stiffer spring = more air pressure. What I've been preaching from the start with the Pike - you need to get your spring rate dialed FIRST and then use the low speed adjusters to fine-tune. Also many owners are going with way too slow on rebound because they think it's affecting high speed rebound and will buck them over big hits and jumps. That thinking is just wrong (high speed damping controlled with a shim stack) and the Pike works best with relatively fast "low speed" rebound.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not true.

Yeah, if you're bike is really diving bad then you need a stiffer spring = more air pressure. What I've been preaching from the start with the Pike - you need to get your spring rate dialed FIRST and then use the low speed adjusters to fine-tune. Also many owners are going with way too slow on rebound because they think it's affecting high speed rebound and will buck them over big hits and jumps. That thinking is just wrong (high speed damping controlled with a shim stack) and the Pike works best with relatively fast "low speed" rebound.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    HI G-Man

I noticed on my last ride that coming off some downhill jumps, I was loosing control of the front end, it felt like I was either rolling on the tire or the tire was washing out, as seen in this video which my friend just happened to catch and send to me. I currently have one token installed and was running 20mm sag in the forks at about 60PSI.

https://vimeo.com/117638740

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks

mtbr member
    You kind of dead-sailored it even tho your arms were bent nicely and pumped the takeoff well, you got too stiff in the air and nosed her in a bit too much. Not the fork's fault for the wobbly run out. Get those bars up to your face then stay loose and plant the bike at a flatter angle to the transition. Also you made no attempt to absorb the impact with your arms and legs - you punished the fork and shock to do all the dirty work. Ride a BMX bike for a while and that will help a ton with your landings.

Have FUN!

G

PS - 60 psi is pretty low for aggro riding at your weight. I go 175lbs and use 70 psi. Try 65 psi and deal with a lil' more harshness over the smaller stuff as it's better to have more control on the bigger stuff!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    HI G-Man

I noticed on my last ride that coming off some downhill jumps, I was loosing control of the front end, it felt like I was either rolling on the tire or the tire was washing out, as seen in this video which my friend just happened to catch and send to me. I currently have one token installed and was running 20mm sag in the forks at about 60PSI.

https://vimeo.com/117638740

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks
    yeah man, you need a stiffer spring set-up in the front. good air though! what sent you out of control was you bottoming the fork out. you can see that. put 10psi more in, don't screw with your other settings till you ride it like that. then you may want to add a click or two of extra rebound damping to deal with the extra spring pressure.

from the vid it looks like you bottom the rear as well, but in earlier posts you say you've got 12mm sag. I run 15mm+ of sag on my bronson with the kashima shock, and its not ez bottom.

only adjust one thing at a time. spring up your fork, then hit that jump a few times, and adjust your rebound.

then work on the rear so they feel balanced.
    air pressure is the thing to get dialled first, then work on rebound damping.
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

You kind of dead-sailored it even tho your arms were bent nicely and pumped the takeoff well, you got too stiff in the air and nosed her in a bit too much. Not the fork's fault for the wobbly run out. Get those bars up to your face then stay loose and plant the bike at a flatter angle to the transition. Also you made no attempt to absorb the impact with your arms and legs - you punished the fork and shock to do all the dirty work. Ride a BMX bike for a while and that will help a ton with your landings.

Have FUN!

G

PS - 60 psi is pretty low for aggro riding at your weight. I go 175lbs and use 70 psi. Try 65 psi and deal with a lil' more harshness over the smaller stuff as it's better to have more control on the bigger stuff!
    Hi Gman. Thanks for the reply. I've been a motocross rider all my life and so technique wise, I guess I am treating the bike more like it is an mx bike(besides the pump at the beginning of the jump) . What you say is true about getting the bars higher, I have noticed a lot of the bicycle guys jump that way. I'll give that a try.

About the air pressure in fork, thanks for the recommendation , I was trying to stick with the 20 percent sag and had actually lowered the pressure to get it to that. I noticed that I only get about 15 percent sag or less at 70PSI. But I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by eleven-yo View Post
    yeah man, you need a stiffer spring set-up in the front. good air though! what sent you out of control was you bottoming the fork out. you can see that. put 10psi more in, don't screw with your other settings till you ride it like that. then you may want to add a click or two of extra rebound damping to deal with the extra spring pressure.

from the vid it looks like you bottom the rear as well, but in earlier posts you say you've got 12mm sag. I run 15mm+ of sag on my bronson with the kashima shock, and its not ez bottom.

only adjust one thing at a time. spring up your fork, then hit that jump a few times, and adjust your rebound.

then work on the rear so they feel balanced.
    air pressure is the thing to get dialled first, then work on rebound damping.
    Thanks for your input , I'll try adding pressure and report back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Hi Gman. Thanks for the reply. I've been a motocross rider all my life and so technique wise, I guess I am treating the bike more like it is an mx bike(besides the pump at the beginning of the jump) . What you say is true about getting the bars higher, I have noticed a lot of the bicycle guys jump that way. I'll give that a try.

About the air pressure in fork, thanks for the recommendation , I was trying to stick with the 20 percent sag and had actually lowered the pressure to get it to that. I noticed that I only get about 15 percent sag or less at 70PSI. But I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks!

Update: made a mistake above with my air pressures. I actually was running 70psi already in the fork and about 15 percent sag.

BUT a quick check on the rear shock revealed I was only running about 130psi where Santa Cruz recommends 150psi for a 160lbs rider (I'm about 170). I've added the pressure as per their recommendation, am only getting 9mm sag (without gear) and I know we want to be at about 12mm. I'll gear up and double check the sag once more and report back.