mtbr member
    Apr 2012

2012 Tallboy - Which 120mm front fork?

I've been thinking about changing out my stock Rock Shox Reba RL for a 120mm travel fork. I've been doing some research but can't really get a good feel for what people recommend so I decided to come here. I've read some good things about the White Brothers Loop but otherwise can't seem to come across any good objective info.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Get to dah choppah
    Perhaps read the first part of this review. It's too long to read the whole thing

XC CF 29'er Reviews - Part 2

My experience and advise would be not to do it. The TB handles far better with a 100mm fork. Some will find a 120mm acceptable, perhaps when quick handling is less important than impact absorbtion, but overall the impact to handling is not postive.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

NMBP
    I am very happy with my Rockshox Revelation set to 120mm on my Tallboy. I normally ride in twisty single track, and I feel that it handles great. If I wanted to go beefier, I would get the new RS Pike for sure.

JHH
    mtbr member
    I've had my TBc about a month it came with the Fox Float 120 CTD Kashima. The fork is awesome. Now some of my purist XC bromigos suggested going with the 100mm fork. I'm glad I didn't.

1. The extra travel helps when your dropping "things"
    2. If you want to increase turning leverage, lower your stem and/or try a little longer stem.
    3. Dialing in dampening and rebound speed for your style will improve overall handling IMHO more then +/-10mm of fork travel.
    4. Same for Tire pressure......
    Handling is always about compromise and it's always about your preferences.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post
    Perhaps read the first part of this review. It's too long to read the whole thing

XC CF 29'er Reviews - Part 2

My experience and advise would be not to do it. The TB handles far better with a 100mm fork. Some will find a 120mm acceptable, perhaps when quick handling is less important than impact absorbtion, but overall the impact to handling is not postive.
    That funny... I've had my TBc since 2009 and I've always like the ride better w/ a 120, which seemed to be the consensus a few years ago... did they change the geometry? And I'm a full on XC nerd that normally rides an HT.

I've got a 120 Reba RL on it which has been great.

Get to dah choppah
    I've ridden several bikes that were initially intended for 100mm forks that commonly have 120mm's installed, and the TBc is about the worst as far as handling degradation. I didn't want to post on this actually, since most who have a 120mm on their TB will probably like them just fine and will (justifiably) disagree. You do learn/adapt over time, mostly by leaning more and turning less as well.

If you want to try a longer travel model, the Fox Float 32 120mm is adjustable, either through the correct spacer placment or the getto mode -

How to lower your Fox Float 32 the GHETTO no-special-tools, or spacers method! - Pinkbike Forum

Try 120mm then back off to 110mm. IMO the 110mm setting regains ~ 80% of the handling degradation vs. 120mm while still "feeling" pretty much like 120mm of travel.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    I ride a 2012 alloy Tallboy with a 2011 Fox TALAS 120/95 RLC.

The only time I ever set it at 95mm is when on a steep climb. It stays in 120mm for 90% of the time. Much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for all the replies. For those of you that have ridden both 100mm and 120mm on the Tallboy, how significant was the change in handling? The reason I ask is that the one minor gripe I have about my Tallboy is that I find myself wishing it was just a touch more nimble.

mtbr member

Re: 2012 Tallboy - Which 120mm front fork?

There's no doubt it will be more nimble at 100mm. That should happen just about any time you steepen the head angle. The 120mm just opens up more of the trail without any real handling penalty. I run a pretty short stem on mine (70mm) which gives me steering qualities I am happy with.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk