Thread: 2012 Nomad ??

mtbr member
    May 2015

2012 Nomad ??

Hello mtbr community! First time poster here, long time reader of great posts.

I'm a budget bike buyer, and I just sold my old Bullit (2001 I think, last year they were made in the USA) in order to get a good bike for the trails of Santa Cruz. I found a 2012 Nomad on CL, with the following specs:

2012 Santa Cruz Nomad A SPX Complete
    Size: Large
    Color: Root beer clear coat w/ yellow logo. One of a kind from Santa Cruz's custom color program.
    Fork: 2013 Fox 34 TALAS 160-120 CTD Factory Kashima 26" 15QR Taper
    Shock: Fox RP23 Kashima

Wheels: Sram Carbon Rise 60 MTB - (Rear wheel re-built with Mavic UST Tubeless rim, will include damaged carbon rim if requested)
    Headset: Cane Creek 40-IS
    Seatpost: Kind Shock i900R, 125mm travel
    Saddle: WTB Devo SLT
    Bars: Easton Havoc, 720mm
    Stem: Truvativ, aka 70mm
    Shifters (front and rear): Shimano XT, 10 speed
    Cranks: Shimano XT, 24,36, Truvativ thirty six bash guard
    Brakes: Shimano XT 160mm rear, 180 front rotor
    Front Tire: WTB Vigalante 2.3, 75% tread left
    Rear Tire: Maxis HighRoller 2.35, 90% tread left
    Casette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX with clutch
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Extra derailleur hanger included.

The price seems reasonable (just under 2k), though it does have a couple dings that must have come from hard bails (big dent in swing arm, dent in downtube).

Just wondering what your opinions are on this year of the Nomad, and if this is a good bike to invest in or if I should figure out how to afford a newer bike. Fyi I think I'm ok with 26" wheels, as I consider myself a "spry" rider who has some jumping history and a love of berms. Nothing against bigger wheels, just might not have a choice at my price point!

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    They are great bikes. I just raced mine in the BC Enduro last weekend while my 5010c sat alone in the garage. If it is in good shape and you like it, I would get it.

mtbr member
    dent in swingarm and dent in downtube? that would worry me....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    would you be riding it at soquel demo forest? i'd be concerned about the dents in the downtube (any deformation in a thin walled vessel like the downtube might increase the chance for failure). however, you could also email SC a picture of the dent possibly?

example: i have a 2012 alu mk2 nomad, and i had a rock strike on the lower pivot, which caused a dent and the paint to come off. however, given that area is solid aluminum (not hollow like the downtube), i thought it would be fine. i also sent a picture to SC tech support. they said it was good to ride.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks you guys. Flyxaos, that's good to hear, really encouraging. Sooner and DTH, it's good to heard your concerns. The owner says that a Santa Cruz tech said the swing arm dent is no big deal, and he spoke of the downtube dent as more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. Guess I'll have to see for myself.

He's asking 1800

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    fyi, i was able to find the pic of my damage that SC looked at and said was good to go2012 Nomad ??-2012-10-28-14.00.08.jpg
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Great bike.
    The build spec is good.
    Dents and dings are usually not as much trouble as the mtb community makes them out to be.
    They kill resale value, but Ive ridden dented and dinged Santa Cruz frames for years.
    The "damage" in the pic above looks cosmetic.
    Those swingarms/lower links get beat, no big deal most of the time.
    I've put huge dents in Santa Cruz downtubes and the bikes have been fine for years and years afterwards.
    Just under $2k still sounds a bit steep on price though.
    You can pick up 2012 carbon Nomads in excellent conditon with similar build spec for $2k.
    I'd be looking to get to $1500 or better on a bike like that.
    Plenty of deals out there on 26" bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for the pic dth, I'm having trouble uploading my photos but I'll try again on another computer soon

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey 11053, thanks for the insight. The guy came down to 1800 pretty quickly, not sure if he'll budge much more. It's hard with CL; seems folks often inflate the value of their bikes, maybe leaving room for lots of negotiation or maybe thinking they'll actually get what they want.

I'd love to see a carbon nomad for 2k, haven't yet. I'm in the Bay Area though, maybe it's different here... Also not sure if carbon can take the beating metal can...

mtbr member
    oh nice. that wasnt what i was thinking when you said there was a "dent". that looks like some decent paint chipping, but that wont cause any problems.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Heh, that's not the bike I'm looking at. I'll get a pic up soon

mtbr member
    I think the price is high, especially considering the frame dents you mentioned.
    You could get a complete Nomad C for that 2011 Santa Cruz Nomad C (carbon) For Sale

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks BTTR, I hear ya. Maybe with this info I can get him to come down some more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    How about you post the link so everyone can view and comment on the bike? That would help people give you better advice.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Haha, good idea. At first I was worried that someone else might jump on it, but that's silly... Note that he first posted it for 2.2k and offered it to me at 1.8k, and now he's posting it for 1.95k.
    Santa Cruz Nomad A SPX size Large

Also, to see what other people are charging,...
    SF bay area bicycles "nomad" - craigslist

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Those dents are nothing, esp the one in the downtube. I would not worry about those at all and im 99% sure SC would say the same thing. However given that you are able to get carbon bikes for what he is offering (linked above) I would try to either get this bike for 1.5-1.7k or buy a carbon version. Though remember the al version holds up better to wrecks. Other then that it wouldnt be a bad buy at the 1.8k if you like it, nicely spec'd and pretty clean.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonomand View Post
    Though remember the al version holds up better to wrecks.
    Wrong.
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Why wrong? Seems like if you don't repair a dent in carbon it will be way more likely to snap. Are you really saying that carbon is more durable and resilient? Please back this up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSlowBusa View Post
    Wrong.
    Sorry, I was meaning carbon but had al on the mind.
    Here is a video OP might like. Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike

Yeah carbon is a lot more durable, it flexs and gives while being very strong and it wants to snap back to its shape. Al may hold up just slightly better/cheaper repair to point impacts (like jagged rocks) as Al will bend before it fails. Carbon failing (although not very likely) will/can snap in two. So even little dings and dents over time in carbon can wear and cause holes that form weak spots waiting to give out.

AL- Long lasting, cheap, durable, takes a beating, failures can still be rode (home for instance, bends or weld cracks)
    Carbon- Light, long lasting if maintained, 2x stronger then AL, looks sexy

Nothing wrong with either, buy what you can and what you want. Carbon is kinda like a exotic car, it has an amazing resume but you need to do more maintenance and spend more money on it. Al is like the old Honda that you can still get you home with 2 out of the 4 wheels working.