mtbr member
    Aug 2006

2011 Heckler ?'s

New to this form.
    Hi.
    Looking at 2011 Hecker, and finding conflicting information on the internet (go figure) with head angle.
    Does the '11 Heckler have a 67.5* head angle or a 69* head angle.
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

Warrior's Society
    Per Santa Cruz website:

69* based on a 515mm Axle to Crown height.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just picked up my 2011 Heckler from my LBS. Revelation up front and RP23 in the back. Bike is great, I'll have to post up some pictures

mtbr member
    MOST people are not running 515mm A-C on their Heckler..running a longer travel fork slackens the HA substantially.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks.
    My buddy picked up his Heckler on Sunday (D-am kit).
    His first ever mtn bike... and he's not rode bikes for 20+ years.
    Took him on a trail ride 2 weeks ago playing around on my RM Switch and GF SuperCal.
    Have not taught someone to mtn. bike in over 15 years... should be fun.

One big problem... now I have the "need" for a Santa Cruz.
    Nice bikes.

mtbr member

Heckler with slack HA...

Large heckler with a 36 TALAS and a (-1.3 deg) Head Angle Set... (www.ofanaim.net/has.html)

I guess the head angle is around 66.7 deg.

The Trek Remedy 2010 in the background has a (-1.3 deg) Head Angle Set too.
    Preparing for a DH vacation in Morzine - Les Gets...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Heckler ?'s-img_2329.jpg  

A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Thanks.
    My buddy picked up his Heckler on Sunday (D-am kit).
    His first ever mtn bike... and he's not rode bikes for 20+ years.
    Took him on a trail ride 2 weeks ago playing around on my RM Switch and GF SuperCal.
    Have not taught someone to mtn. bike in over 15 years... should be fun.

One big problem... now I have the "need" for a Santa Cruz.
    Nice bikes.
    That is the problem with a SC. I was told by a few friends that if I bought one, I'd probably never want to ride anything else. They were right.

The A-Train
    Apr 2006
    My Heckler is in my basement. I put it away wet last week. Y'know what? I always put it away wet. Gotta love that swingarm tech.

After a few back-and-forths with Fox, my Heckler's front end evolved from a 36 TALAS RC2 150 to a 36 Van RC2 150 to a 36 Van RC2/Fit 160. Oye. Too much time spent mailing my fork to and fro, not enough time riding. The bike certainly got its lean on with the latest fork option - lots of holy-mackerel-bar-slop on slow climbs and some serious "wednesday weed" relaxed manners on the descents. We threw an angle-o-meter on it last week and the bike is rocking a 66.5 head angle (even with the dinky Crank brothers H/S.)
    I could probably get a 69 degree HA out of that bike if I tossed my old 65mm SID on it. Santa Cruz's geometry measurements are based around a 515mm axle-crown fork; think a 140mm Revalation with 9mm QR stepped dropouts. My Van 160 measures about 545mm, an easy inch longer than their baseline. Word.

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    That is the problem with a SC. I was told by a few friends that if I bought one, I'd probably never want to ride anything else. They were right.
    I learned this in 1998.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I am considering purchasing a Heckler at the end of summer with the money I have made working at my local bike shop. What do I click on to display the price of a complete bike, on the Heckler page of the Santa Cruz website. There is a category for "Package deals" and another category for "Custom offerings." What do each of them mean/include?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    I am considering purchasing a Heckler at the end of summer with the money I have made working at my local bike shop. What do I click on to display the price of a complete bike, on the Heckler page of the Santa Cruz website. There is a category for "Package deals" and another category for "Custom offerings." What do each of them mean/include?

Thanks,
    Andy
    just wait til their bike builder is back online in a few weeks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post

Thanks,
    Andy
    If you can, see what's left for the 11's. The frame only price went up since I bought my 11. Knowing what I do now, I'd still be okay with paying a little more for this bike.

Apparently they're waiting to see what components are available for the 12's before they release any pricing info, packages, or custom offerings....

mtbr member
    May 2011

Suggestions

Any suggestions on future upgrades to the 2011 Heckler with the R AM Kit? I already upgraded the rear shock from the Fox Float RL to the RP23. I primarily ride XC with some steep uphill and want to have a bike that can feel confident about going downhill. Any suggestions on components, wheelsets, fork, etc would be much appreciated

mtbr member
    My 2008 RAM heckler rocks the trails just fine in stock condition. I went with a Vanilla fork and DHX coil shock.
    2008 Heckler

mtbr member
    I would like an adjustable seatpost though
    2008 Heckler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996cc View Post
    I would like an adjustable seatpost though
    Those things are cheating! I rode one on a friends bike...it made me want one in a bad way...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveforetee View Post
    Any suggestions on future upgrades to the 2011 Heckler with the R AM Kit? I already upgraded the rear shock from the Fox Float RL to the RP23. I primarily ride XC with some steep uphill and want to have a bike that can feel confident about going downhill. Any suggestions on components, wheelsets, fork, etc would be much appreciated
    I bought the RAM, RP23 too. I really like the way it rides both up and down. The stock grips, of course, aren't anywhere near ideal. I thrashed the stock wheels in about 6 months. They were still ridable but needed adjustment every other ride. I went with Azonic Outlaws- heavy, but seemingly bulletproof, and the extra width made me go ghetto tubeless. These are my only additional upgrades as of now.

As parts start wearing I'm thinking XTR deraileurs and shifters would be nice. At first, I thought I'd want a fox 36 rc2 but quickly fell in love with the sektor. It's light, and has taken more of a beating than I thought it should. Now I don't know what I'll want when it blows. An adjustable seat is nice, but adds a bit of weight. I'm not really a weight weenie but they can add weight in the wrong spot and raise COG.

As far as confidence, I bought this bike based on the reviews of it being a "confidence building rig". It has not failed me in that dept at all. I am riding optional spots that I used to avoid like the plague.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So, the angle headset, (Ofanaim.net » Head Angle Set) how does one purchase?