Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    158

    2009 Nomad: Let's build it max 30lb... suggestions??

    Here it is:

    Frame: medium 2009 Nomad with Monarch 3.3
    Fork: 2009 Fox 36 VAN RC2 1.5
    Brakes: Formula The One with 180mm Rotors
    Cassette: SRAM PG-990 11/34
    Bash Guard: e.13 Supercharger
    Chain: SRAM PC-991
    Cranks: Shimano XT Hollowtech II
    Front Derailleurs: Shimano XTR
    Grips: Lizard Skin Lock on
    Handlebars: Race Face Atlas low riser
    Headset: Chris King 1.5 NoThreadset
    Pedals: Syncros Mental
    Rear Derailleurs: SRAM X.0
    Saddles: WTB Rocket V SLT
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Shifter: SRAM X.O Trigger
    Stems: Syncros AM 1.5 70mm
    Wheels: DT EX1750
    Tubes: WTB MTB Presta Tube 26 x 2.2-2.5
    Tires: Maxxis High Roller Kevlar/Folding Bead 2.5 Single Ply


    I've used an online calculator and the scale tips to 30.6 lb.

    Only way I see the weight going down is if I upgrade cranks to XTR and/or change brakes to Avid Elixir's CR. If I do both then the cost stays about the same and weight is spot on 30lb! ...but I'm not sure if it's worth it?

    The Van on the front is non-negotiable :-) ...but I'm still thinking about a coil for the rear... more weight though...

    Any comments / improvements on the build in general are welcome!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honourablegeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    861
    E13 Supercharger's a heavy thing.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,362
    I'd go coil on the rear with Ti spring , super plush

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    156

    Be careful of Avid Elixir Cr!

    I returned a brand new set of Elixirs. The space inbetween the pads is so small I could never get it to not rub. Don't know if it has to do with it not having a master reservoir, but resetting them did not help. Tried to set them up for 2 days and finally gave up. Put back on juicy7's and no problems.

    Look sweet but who cares if you can't get out of the driveway.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GQOSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    309
    dude get a fox 36 float. saves you a pound there alone/

  6. #6
    Got A Lust for Life...
    Reputation: indyfab25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,956
    And an LG1 or an MRP Mini. I think that build is light and strong enough.
    I am immune to your disdain.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    237
    Wellgo MG1 pedals with titanium spindles will save you 100g+ over magnesium Mentals (a lot more if you're not figuring the mag ones).
    Thomson Masterpiece will save you around 40g.
    Race Face Next XC low risers will save 85g (Ya, they're carbon, but I've had great luck with them).
    Of course, going tubeless will probably save you around 100-150g per wheel.
    Then, as you mentioned, XTR crankset will save 80g (I think).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by adhumston
    Wellgo MG1 pedals with titanium spindles will save you 100g+ over magnesium Mentals (a lot more if you're not figuring the mag ones).
    Thomson Masterpiece will save you around 40g.
    Race Face Next XC low risers will save 85g (Ya, they're carbon, but I've had great luck with them).
    Of course, going tubeless will probably save you around 100-150g per wheel.
    Then, as you mentioned, XTR crankset will save 80g (I think).
    Thanks for your tips!

    One question though, the DT EX1750 wheels weight about 1750g without the axle/QR, which is pretty light considering that these are AM wheels using the 5.1/240's combo. Plus say about 300g for 2 tubes and 1700g for the High Rollers (850g each).

    I wouldn't mind going tubeless if that will save me 200g or so, but the DT tubeless kit alone weights 300g (for both wheels), which just offsets the weight of the tubes, so why bother? What am I missing here?

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,202
    X.O twist shifters will save weight over the triggers...go 1x9 and you're very close...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    237
    I wouldn't mind going tubeless if that will save me 200g or so, but the DT tubeless kit alone weights 300g (for both wheels), which just offsets the weight of the tubes, so why bother? What am I missing here?
    Stan's yellow tape and sealant! Another option to consider (especially if you do a lot of techncal climbs), is a King or I9 hub laced to a Stan's Flow rim. You'd probably be around 1800g for the set, but the far superior engagement of the hubs outweighs the slight (and I'm just guessing on the weight) weight gain.

    The Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 is a great tire (my personal opinion of course) that comes in at 780g per tire, and seals up excellent with Stan's. This is my go to tire for the front when I hit the Front Range (usually run a Fat Albert in the back).

    You could also save a little bit of weight going with an XTR cassete, but you definately pay for it!

    Not sure which model WTB Rocket your planning on using, but you could save anywhere from 20-100g+ by going with a WTB Silverado (again, one of my personal favorites).

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by adhumston
    Stan's yellow tape and sealant! Another option to consider (especially if you do a lot of techncal climbs), is a King or I9 hub laced to a Stan's Flow rim. You'd probably be around 1800g for the set, but the far superior engagement of the hubs outweighs the slight (and I'm just guessing on the weight) weight gain.

    The Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 is a great tire (my personal opinion of course) that comes in at 780g per tire, and seals up excellent with Stan's. This is my go to tire for the front when I hit the Front Range (usually run a Fat Albert in the back).

    You could also save a little bit of weight going with an XTR cassete, but you definately pay for it!

    Not sure which model WTB Rocket your planning on using, but you could save anywhere from 20-100g+ by going with a WTB Silverado (again, one of my personal favorites).
    Thanks for your reply.

    I'll get a good deal for the EX 1750 so I'll probably go for them. Truth is I'm not familiar with tubeless setup and in what conditions tubeless works better than tubed, but we do ride a lot in thorny trails around here so not sure if tubeless would be a good choice. In what conditions would you say tubeless wheels work best? The obvious advantage is weight reduction in some cases and less rolling resistance, but is there a catch??

    Yes, XTR does costs quite a bit more than the XT... not sure if worth all that extra coin...

    I'll be using the SLT Rocket at 210g. The high end Silverado model is I think 190g... I did give it a thought, but I don't know anybody that rides them in XC trails as well as DH so I was a bit skeptical... how do you find it? Suitable for uphills as well as DH? More comfy than the Rocket?

    Thanks

  12. #12
    KEEP ROLLING
    Reputation: congarong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE
    dude get a fox 36 float. saves you a pound there alone/

    i will also vote for the fox float 36 rc2 you will save a lot of weight without compromising on the handling . i have them and let me just say they are very smooth and adjustable. The new 2009 ones are white and look awesome

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    237
    In what conditions would you say tubeless wheels work best? The obvious advantage is weight reduction in some cases and less rolling resistance, but is there a catch??
    Don't count out the ability to run low pressure. I ran 25psi in my Big Betty while at Winter Park on a Stan's Arch rim. And as far as the thorns go, stans will seal the smaller ones up. I'm not sure about the bigger thorns, however. But considering it would still puncture your tube, just keep carrying a spare tube, then you have it if you need it!

    I'll be using the SLT Rocket at 210g. The high end Silverado model is I think 190g... I did give it a thought, but I don't know anybody that rides them in XC trails as well as DH so I was a bit skeptical... how do you find it? Suitable for uphills as well as DH? More comfy than the Rocket?
    I've never used a Rocket. The Silverado is a heck of a lot more confortable for me than the Devo it replaced though. And it does an excellent job on the climbs, as well as the downs. The longer nose allows you to get more weight up front if you need it, without being a hindrance when you don't. And it is really easy to get behind the saddle when you're coming down the hills as well. Saddles are such a matter of personal preference though, so get what you like. I'd much rather have a comfortable ride than a 20g weight savings!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by congarong
    i will also vote for the fox float 36 rc2 you will save a lot of weight without compromising on the handling . i have them and let me just say they are very smooth and adjustable. The new 2009 ones are white and look awesome
    dude, i know, but i'm light-weight and at 150-155lb with gear i have my doubts that an air fork will perform that well. I presently use a 08 talas 36 on my heckler and i don't seem to be getting all the travel. If i take more air out then it starts doing weird things. I think (hope) the coil will be plushier and a better over all performer at my weight...

  15. #15
    emtb.pl
    Reputation: krolik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecy
    dude, i know, but i'm light-weight and at 150-155lb with gear i have my doubts that an air fork will perform that well. I presently use a 08 talas 36 on my heckler and i don't seem to be getting all the travel. If i take more air out then it starts doing weird things. I think (hope) the coil will be plushier and a better over all performer at my weight...
    I weigh 210 w/o gear and don't think 08Talas RC2 is very plush, so with your weight, I would very much consider a coil indeed. I want coil for plushness so I can understand how you feel. 36TalasRC2 is a great fork when stuf gets realy nasty but on small stuff it definietly lacks plushness. If van had travel adjust like the lyrik, I wouldn't even look back.
    I wnat to see how you set your sag on the talas RC2 with that 150lbs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •