mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2008 Nomad vs 2008 Blur LT

Guys, need help to choose between the 2008 Nomad and Blur LT please.

I don't do a lot of DH and doesn't do any big drops. Mainly just to find a frame that is around 6" to build up a good all mountain bike. Any advice and/or comments would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i just got a 2008 nomad. freaking awesome is all i can say. i looked at the new LT as well. I'm more of a backcountry all mountain type of guy with the odd shuttle run here and there - I can't believe how well the nomad pedals for a 6 1/2 inch travel bike. very happy with it. as i do the odd park day and shuttle run i wanted a bike that would be ok in the dh and i personally felt the nomad would be a better fit for me. again all i can say is wow - i can't believe a bike with that much travel pedals and climbs as well as it does. i've taken it on 30k xcountry rides and shuttling. Realistically however i don't think you can really go wrong with either choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I also have a Nomad and it is very versatile, I do DH to XC with this bike, I have two set of wheels/tires, two shocks and two forks. When I have a DH day, I put on the 66 fork Rocco shock and big DH tires on, otherwise I've got a Nixon Elite, Schwalbe tires and Float shock.

Now this said, if I wasn't doing any DH then I think I would go with the new LT2 and a Talas 36 fork. I think this would be an even better bike then the Nomad to tackle all mountain type trails. The geometry is a bit more tight then the Nomad.

If you plan on expanding your riding then, no question in my mind, the Nomad is the bike for ultimate versatility that includes DH capability.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nomad faux shaux.

Soy Chingon
    Never ridden an LT, but coming from a XC background I find my Nomad to be just as good if not better than my old XC bike (SL). It also allows you to take your riding to a new level. I love my Nomad.
    Soy Chingon

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fchan
    Guys, need help to choose between the 2008 Nomad and Blur LT please.

I don't do a lot of DH and doesn't do any big drops. Mainly just to find a frame that is around 6" to build up a good all mountain bike. Any advice and/or comments would be much appreciated.
    i think you cant go past the nomad, ( although both choices are pretty rad ). At least with a nomad, like gallorady said, if you want to push your riding to the next level, it will be up for it. You never know what the future might hold . Im riding an 08 nomad and its better than me at the moment!

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Sold my 08 Nomad once I got my Blur LT2. With a Float 36 it does all the same moves at a lighter weight. Both are killer machines...flip a coin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Still can't decide........I guess the LT2 is much lighter then the nomad but on the hand the nomad can be build to climb as well with the right parts.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    depends on the trails you ride and want to ride. if you're more on the trail riding, i think the blt2 is funner and better suited. nomad will kill it on bigger mountains, though.

pin it to win it
    Nov 2005
    the blt2 will kill it wherever you point it. northstar..no problem, pining it down the downieville downhill... no problem. i also think the blt2 look way better than the nomad.

KEEP ROLLING
    I have not tried the BLT2 or the new 09 nomad but i would like to give my 2 cents worth from what i have read.
    BLT2 if you are going to keep at the same technical riding level you are now long AM trips improving your cornering and flow with potential to jump and do some small drops, more of a XC weight bike so those long days in the saddle will give you a little more play time before the sun goes down.

Nomad or heckler if you are doing more aggressive stuff and want to add on bigger forks and shocks in the future.
    i have the 08 nomad and my riding has improved a great deal. i am trying more technical trails and am managing some really gnarly descents. I feel that i am still reserved in many skills but my nomad has given me the confidence to push my self further and try things i would shy away from with previous bikes i have owned. There is nothing better than punching a berm perfectly and popping out at the other end with a cloud of dust and stones streaming out from behind you, or going down a steep rocky cliff and thinking to your self OH $%^% !!! what have i gotten my self into now !! and a bit later you are safely at the bottom thinking that was not to bad let me try it again a bit faster this time. As i discovered this weekend this is not the best thing to do, i am now sitting with a pretty sore arm from kung fu tiger roll into a rock garden but hey i survived and i am sure i will feel a little more confident on my next challenge with my trusty steed beneath me.

high ho silver nomad !!!!
    Last edited by congarong; 08-18-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Soy Chingon
    Well put congarong!
    Soy Chingon

HIKE!
    Your original post says it:

"I don't do a lot of DH and doesn't do any big drops. Mainly just to find a frame that is around 6" to build up a good all mountain bike. Any advice and/or comments would be much appreciated."

And that pretty much defines the choice of a Blur LT2 over a Nomad

KEEP ROLLING
    true......

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great advice guys...much appreciated. Probably the LT2 will suit my riding style better. To further this thread what is your thought between the Giant Trance X and the LT2? I think the LT2 will be able to take a long travel fork.

mtbr member
    I had already decided on blt2 when I got the opportunity to ride a blt2 and a Nomad back to back.

Very nearly changed my mind on what to order. Not quite though - I'm not tough enough to ride a Nomad up hill all day.
    Too Old to Die Young

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Huph
    I had already decided on blt2 when I got the opportunity to ride a blt2 and a Nomad back to back.

Very nearly changed my mind on what to order. Not quite though - I'm not tough enough to ride a Nomad up hill all day.
    I had similar experience as well but with a Giant Reign. Riding uphill with a Giant Reign isn't fun at all. Probably I'm not that fit to ride bikes with long travel fork (Reign with Lyrik) even with adjusted travel to 115mm. I guess the fork is too heavy for me. I have riden the Trance X and this bike suit my style of riding but have not try out the LT2. Just need to compare this two bike and need to find out if the LT2 is suitable to build up a light all mountain bike with up to 140mm travel fork.

HIKE!
    I just moved from the latest 1.5" head tube Nomad with a 36 Float RC2 and RP23 rear shock (not the "2009" newest version just announced, duh, those are not shipping yet). Built up around 34lbs. Was a great riding bike, I certainly do hit drops, aggressive in the rock gardens, jumps, etc. Love to go fast down hills from mild to wild.

Swapped out that for a Blur LT2 about a month ago. Got a Pushe'd Pike 454 Air, and a Pushed Float R on it. I certainly don't miss the Nomad! I do everything I did on the Nomad on the Blur LT2, and that's with the Blur LT2 at 30lbs. Plus XC riding is a lot more fun now.

In fact, had the new Blur LT2 come out, the newest release of the Nomad would have me salivating for the bit lighter, lower bb, less travel! But the Blur LT2 is a better evolutionary leap "backwards" for me! Sounds funny, eh? But I also dropped from 225+ pounds to 160lbs from Feb to this spring.

I do have a big 40+ pound coil sprung Kona Stinky for big travel DH and freeride duty, so the Nomad is certainly not missed with the Stinky and Nomad to choose between!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    I just moved from the latest 1.5" head tube Nomad with a 36 Float RC2 and RP23 rear shock (not the "2009" newest version just announced, duh, those are not shipping yet). Built up around 34lbs. Was a great riding bike, I certainly do hit drops, aggressive in the rock gardens, jumps, etc. Love to go fast down hills from mild to wild.

Swapped out that for a Blur LT2 about a month ago. Got a Pushe'd Pike 454 Air, and a Pushed Float R on it. I certainly don't miss the Nomad! I do everything I did on the Nomad on the Blur LT2, and that's with the Blur LT2 at 30lbs. Plus XC riding is a lot more fun now.

In fact, had the new Blur LT2 come out, the newest release of the Nomad would have me salivating for the bit lighter, lower bb, less travel! But the Blur LT2 is a better evolutionary leap "backwards" for me! Sounds funny, eh? But I also dropped from 225+ pounds to 160lbs from Feb to this spring.

I do have a big 40+ pound coil sprung Kona Stinky for big travel DH and freeride duty, so the Nomad is certainly not missed with the Stinky and Nomad to choose between!
    That 1.8 Kg (3.98 lbs) does make a lot of difference. What's your current setup for the LT2?

HIKE!
    I'm running mostly straight up XT. 26, 36 bash ( a thin Salsa bash guard), XT wheels with XTR Centerlock rotors (140mm in the rear), Float R rear shock, and Pike Air 454 fork. Size large. Nothing crazy light, nothing crazy heavy.

But again, the Blur LT2 suits all the drops, log rides, jumps, berms, and Super-D aggressive riding I like to do. For anything bigger, shuttle DH runs, etc, I've got that Kona Stinky on standby. The Blur LT2 is certainly NOT a freeride bike, not even close, whereas the Nomad can be, and sort of is. So get the frame that suits your riding.