banned

New question here. 2007 Superlight vs Blur XC

I am thinking about getting a FS bike. My current rides are two Kona steel HTs which I thouroghly enjoy. But due to a number of factors I am going to get a FS bike and Santa Cruz is on my short list.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the '07 Superlight versus the Blur XC aside from price? Ride quality, efficiency, biopacing/pedal feedback. Any issues with squeaks or creaks?

My riding style is XC, doing distance.

Thanks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SNPete
    I am thinking about getting a FS bike. My current rides are two Kona steel HTs which I thouroghly enjoy. But due to a number of factors I am going to get a FS bike and Santa Cruz is on my short list.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the '07 Superlight versus the Blur XC aside from price? Ride quality, efficiency, biopacing/pedal feedback. Any issues with squeaks or creaks?

My riding style is XC, doing distance.

Thanks.
    Hey you guys are a lot of help. 30 views and no one knows the difference between the two frames in queston. Pretty sad.

mtbr member
    Hey you guys are a lot of help. 30 views and no one knows the difference between the two frames in queston. Pretty sad.
    Pot, meet kettle...

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Pot, meet kettle...

Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like my XC

I've never been on a Superlite. MBA did a comparison a couple of years ago, when the Blur was the older version. Search this on MTBR, you might find something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    I've never been on a Superlite. MBA did a comparison a couple of years ago, when the Blur was the older version. Search this on MTBR, you might find something.
    They both would have been older versions.

I've never been on the XC. I have an 07 Superlight that I love though. I demoed a Cannondale Rush, Specialized Epic, and Fisher HiFi before getting the SL. I found the SL better then all of those. It seemed to be the most similar to the Rush in ride quality. It's very quick and responsive, great when climbing and real fun going downhill. I've got nothing bad to say about the SL, it's been a great bike for me.

banned
    Pot, meet kettle...
    So much for simple answer. It seems you don't know either. Otherwise you would have given a straight answer.

You'll be happy to know that I demoed both bikes today. Both were good.

I've read the reviews, I know what is written. I was hoping to get information from real riders.
    Last edited by SNPete; 05-20-2007 at 05:46 AM.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Hey SNPete,

I read F88 occassionally and know you from there (well, sort of. I never post ANYTHING on that forum though, for my own protection), so I'll offer this up to you as my opinion.

I have a Haro XLS R7 which is a copycat of the Superlight from a few years ago. I also have an Intense Spider which is a lot like the Blur XC. I don't want to type a bunch, so I'll sum it up like this... if equipped with equivalent shocks and parts, the only difference you'll really notice is the pedal feedback in the small chainring on the SL, but really only when on very bumpy climbs. In my opinion this is not a big deal and it's something you get used to and don't notice after a while. Both bikes climb great and do very well when sprinting (if that's of concern).

With the stiff frame and a good shock, the new SL will do very well for you as an all-around bike... it can do anything XC related and won't let you down. In my opinion the "performance" is as good as the Blur, it just has slightly different riding characteristics in certain situations (bumpy climbs in the small ring).

One other non-performance issue I should mention is the maintenance. The lower pivot bearings on my Spider are a constant worry for me. In wet conditions they get pummeled with tons of water and crud and need to be checked, cleaned, and regreased MUCH more often than the single pivot on the SL. The single pivot bearings don't see a fraction of the crud and will go on and on without much attention.

So I think with the SL you get 97.5% of the performance of the Blur XC, but with only 22.3% of the maintenance and worry.

Again, just my take on things.
    I read that on the internet.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich A.
    Hey SNPete,

I read F88 occassionally and know you from there (well, sort of. I never post ANYTHING on that forum though, for my own protection), so I'll offer this up to you as my opinion.

I have a Haro XLS R7 which is a copycat of the Superlight from a few years ago. I also have an Intense Spider which is a lot like the Blur XC. I don't want to type a bunch, so I'll sum it up like this... if equipped with equivalent shocks and parts, the only difference you'll really notice is the pedal feedback in the small chainring on the SL, but really only when on very bumpy climbs. In my opinion this is not a big deal and it's something you get used to and don't notice after a while. Both bikes climb great and do very well when sprinting (if that's of concern).

With the stiff frame and a good shock, the new SL will do very well for you as an all-around bike... it can do anything XC related and won't let you down. In my opinion the "performance" is as good as the Blur, it just has slightly different riding characteristics in certain situations (bumpy climbs in the small ring).

One other non-performance issue I should mention is the maintenance. The lower pivot bearings on my Spider are a constant worry for me. In wet conditions they get pummeled with tons of water and crud and need to be checked, cleaned, and regreased MUCH more often than the single pivot on the SL. The single pivot bearings don't see a fraction of the crud and will go on and on without much attention.

So I think with the SL you get 97.5% of the performance of the Blur XC, but with only 22.3% of the maintenance and worry.

Again, just my take on things.
    Thanks for the info. As you may have noticed (on F88) I am big on reliability. This is good to know.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Rich A., that's a good review of the practical differences between the two frames and it reassures me I made the right choice in ordering a superlight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

does anyone know the weight difference between the two?

The weights are listed in Colorado cyclist with the blur xc being 5 lbs even and the superlight being 5.2 lbs (both size medium). Has anyone weighed their frames?

Thanks

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

here's another review that should inspire you...

Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Rich A., that's a good review of the practical differences between the two frames and it reassures me I made the right choice in ordering a superlight.
    I hate to cross link cross posted links , but here it is anyway...
    SC Superlight - Underrated Race machine?
    I read that on the internet.

banned
    Decision made. '07 SL.

All things considered. The SL is the better choice for me.

Thanks to those who provided useful info.

mtbr member
    Nice... frame with swapping parts, or whole new kit + fork?

banned

Not 100% sure, but...

Nice... frame with swapping parts, or whole new kit + fork?
    Leaning towards the XC R kit due to the fork (a step up from the '05 Duke on my #2 HT) and overall cost. I would do some major swapping and a couple of upgrades to drop some weight. For example swapping my Conti Vert Pros for the wire bead Nevegals will cut a half pound to start.

........on the other hand a total custom build is tempting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    pete- great summary! also, you have $600 to spend on a better fork and wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    im debating whether to do a custom build or the R package. I know if i do i a custom build the cost will probably get it out of hand, but it will be a perfect bike for me. ah decisions decisions.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blantonator
    im debating whether to do a custom build or the R package. I know if i do i a custom build the cost will probably get it out of hand, but it will be a perfect bike for me. ah decisions decisions.
    I did the math. A custom build with the anno frame and RP23 shock, XT/mavic 717 wheels from Colorado Cyclist, Avid BB7 brakes, Nice seat post, stem, and XT fd, was gonna run about about $1800 to $1900. Then a bit of labor cost to prep the frame and install the headset and fork.

Then off comes the usable stuff from my #2 HT. I then complete the package with stuff from my spare parts stash. The result is an XT bike with an estimated weight of 25.5 lbs. Value of added parts: about $1000. And a bike that is exactly what I want for about $3000.

R package $2000 plus sales tax; about $2150. I really value a good wheelset so I order the same wheels, as above, from Colorado Cyclist. $240 with shipping and I save 150 grams of rotational weight. I trade parts off my #2 HT and end up with a mostly LX bike that weighs an estimated 26lbs. Cost about $2400, plus I have an intact, but heavier HT that I can sell.

So yea, the question is the extra $600 (or for you more like $1000) worth it?

Without a doubt the answer is maybe.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a feeling i will just go with the R package. Most the stuff on my hardtail is old and wouldnt transfer, plus that leaves me with a thousand bucks in my bank account, and a hardtail backup. When stuff breaks or I find doesnt cut it anymore you can always upgrade and put the old stuff up on flebay.

mtbr member
    the d build i looked at was going for 1600 out the door. xt derailluers fr/rr, deore cranks/shifters, tora fork and fox shock.

i have a fork, cockpit, wheels and maybe cranks to swap. sell the left over bike, get a very nice sl build for 1600 minus resale. probably around 1k.

a frame alone is about 1100.

for you, the $400 difference between the d and r kit could go towards a very nice fork. the primary differences in d and r kit are the cranks and brakes. deore cranks are very nice, comparable weight to lx depending on the bb. i have no exp with avid hydros so cant say, but since neither avid 3 or 5 are on anyone's lust list, i'd call it a wash.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    actually the R has the upgraded Fox Float R fork.

mtbr member
    actually the R has the upgraded Fox Float R fork.
    whoops, forgot about potential fork differences...

if that's a good fork, then it certainly seems worth it... only air and rebound adjustment? 5.5" travel on a 4" bike? i was leaning towards a reba if i had to make the choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yep, r package and another $400-600 for a wheelset and you'll have a pretty light and bling bike worthy of posting a pic on mtbr.

i don't mean to complicate things further, but sc makes the decision difficult with the d package since it comes in ano. if i had to do it all over again, i'd probably get the d package and upgrade the fork and wheelset spearately. it's been said many times on this forum about the beauty of sc ano frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle

if that's a good fork, then it certainly seems worth it... only air and rebound adjustment? 5.5" travel on a 4" bike? i was leaning towards a reba if i had to make the choice.
    good point on the travel. doesn't going over 4" void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    to answer my own question, the 2007 is designed for a 100-125mm fork.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    good point on the travel. doesn't going over 4" void the warranty?
    The Float forks can be set up from the factory with 100mm travel- that's probably how SC is buying them for this bike. They wouldn't offer a 5.5" non-adjustable fork on a complete Superlight.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkle

The Fox fork is a 100mm model

That fork is a real factor to consider when thinking about the R package. (Along with the LX crank and better brakes.) The thing about the RS Tora is it's weight. It appears to be a decent fork, but it weighs over 4.5 pounds, which is about a pound more than the Fox.

Research the Fox and Sram wedsites for details

mtbr member
    May 2007
    what do you guys think of this idea. Pick up this bike http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...338069900.html strip the parts and sell the frame. Slap on a medium sized SL frame for me and have a XTR bike with crossmax for just over 2k?

banned
    what do you guys think of this idea. Pick up this bike http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...338069900.html strip the parts and sell the frame. Slap on a medium sized SL frame for me and have a XTR bike with crossmax for just over 2k?
    A gamble worth trying. The steerer looks pretty long on the fork. The only question is whether the shock will fit. But you can buy a new one for $260.

mtbr member
    damn, its gone

banned
    damn, its gone
    Ya snooze, ya lose.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What, are you stting around watching the 'views' and just waiting for the answer? Get a life and go ride.

From a BLUR XC owner...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i checked it out. it was a scammer. oh well.

Members who have read this thread: 0