Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2007 Blur XC

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Wheeldog 
#1 ·
I have a chance at getting a deal on a 2007 Blur XC. What should I look for as far as any issued that will be cause for alarm. It looks good in the photos but I have not seen it in person, It has full XTR with an asking price of $1900. Does this sound like a good deal?

#2 ·
I'd make sure to take a good look at all the linkages to make sure that they all operate smoothly and that there is no side to side play in the rear triangle. You can always order replacement axle and bearing kits from SC, but they aren't cheap. I have a 2006 Blur XC, and haven't had any issues that required replacement other than a bent rear derailleur hanger. So unless the bike has been abused or neglected it should be fine. Price seems a bit high for a bike that's potentially close to being 4 years old, but you can always do a comparison to recently completed auctions for Blur XC's on eBay.

#3 ·
From what I have heard is that the linkage on the Blur XC was more proned to linkage problems than the older models, and ofcourse the VPP2. I agree with ssbn742 in that 1900 is a bit steep for it even w/ full XTR. Sure XTR is good, but i wouldn't let that grp be the buying point.

I would say for that price, you may look at getting an LT instead, or let patients pay dividens and hold out for the Blur XC Carbon. It is much much more bike than the Blur XC regardless if it has a XTR kit on it.

Just out of curiosity, what type of riding will you be doing? XC trail, XC race, back country, AM? If you were looking for that sweetspot between XC 100mm (115 in Blur XC alum.) to 140mm..there is also the new Nickel which is also nice, otherwise, a Chainlove special Blur LT could be built up in a budget! I just want to reiterate that XTR shouldn't be the reason to buy that bike, buy the bike because you like the frame and the way it rides!

#4 ·
It was sold before I had a chance to see it, so I am still in search of a bike. I will be doing cross country riding ,no racing. I am in my mid fifties so my aggressive riding days are over. I want something light enough to be able to climb well. Descending fast is not my main concern as I will be conservative with my downhill speed. I just want a good dependable mountain bike to ride four or five times a month. Price point is max $2000. It looks like you need to spend at least that much to get a bike with decent components. I am wary of buying used unless it is a killer deal and the bike is in excellent condition.

#5 ·
You are right to be wary.
I just bought a 2007 Blur XC. It has full XTR and Crossmax SLs for 1300. King Headset, Easton Carbon and Thomson stuff. New chain and no skips. The works. The linkage, as I suspected, has some play in the bottom area so I spent 65 to get new bearings and the tool to do it from www.santacruzbikes.com. Everything else seems OK for now so I think I did alright.

#6 ·
jsmil4901 said:
It was sold before I had a chance to see it, so I am still in search of a bike. I will be doing cross country riding ,no racing. I am in my mid fifties so my aggressive riding days are over. I want something light enough to be able to climb well. Descending fast is not my main concern as I will be conservative with my downhill speed. I just want a good dependable mountain bike to ride four or five times a month. Price point is max $2000. It looks like you need to spend at least that much to get a bike with decent components. I am wary of buying used unless it is a killer deal and the bike is in excellent condition.
My two-cent's worth: The best SC match for what you just described is a Superlight. I'm saying that based on the word 'dependable', and on the fact that downhilling is not a big priority. A used frame would leave plenty of $ for a good build or buy a new R XC package and call it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.