mtbr member
    May 2013

2004 V10 Rear Shock Question!

Hey guys, if any of you read my thread in the DH/FR section, you'll know that I am just getting back into the FR scene!

Initially I was a little weary about the V10 I was looking at, but after speaking to the owner a little more I am pretty confident in the bike he is selling. I also talked him down to a great price! $700.00

I plan on getting the bike tuned, new fluid in the Dorado DH and throw in some new seals, as well as getting a heavier rear spring. Everything total will be less then a grand which is what I budgeted for.

I know for a fact I need to increase the weight of the rear spring, I'm just having difficulties finding the right size / weight. I reviewed the spring calculator website and it was saying around 600 - 650 for a 2.75" stroke. I am confused because I don't know if they were asking for the stroke of the rear shock 2.75" or the size of the spring which I believe is 3.25".

Questions

Will a rear spring of 3" fit? Or will I need a 3.25" spring.
    Also can you help me confirm the weight of the spring?

I'm currently 240. I let myself go the past year... I plan on getting back down to 200lb by the fall, but I dont' mind replacing the spring again at that time. So lets focus on a spring that will work for 230 - 240LB.

I'm going to be doing single track trail riding and freeriding. I will hit the odd cliff, nothing higher then 10 feet. I don't want any more sag then 30%

Also the current spring on the bike is black, the 5th element shock no longer has a titanium spring, I am thinking I will just replace it with a black spring as Titanium springs are far more expensive.

Thanks for your help guys!

PS here is a picture of the bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 V10 Rear Shock Question!-img_0083.jpg  

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly your bike will take a 8.75 x 2.75 shock.
    Manitou springs are the cheap replacement for 5th elements due to their wider inner diameter than Fox springs.
    You are probably right in the 600-650LB spring range as the calculator said.
    More info here:

5th Element Spring Replacements & Weight Variances?

That's a cool bike. Classic DH. It will still perform very well. You can still get linkage parts and bearing kits from Santa Cruz, so it won't be hard to get it running "like new".

You're smart to budget several hundred for repair and dialing the bike in.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This is exactly the information I was looking for.
    Thank you so much kind sir!