mtbr member
    Jul 2004

2001 SL: better with 80mm fork ?

Hi,

Just finished assembly of my 2001 Superlight.
    Awesone bike (a bit of flex in the rear...), just wondering if I should change the 100mm fork for a 80mm ?

I'm mostly cross country / singeltrack .

Thx for the advice !
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    It'll steepen the head and seat tube angles by about a degree, depending on the wheelbase and crown to axle lengths of the forks. I may be wrong, but so far as I remember the old Heckler/Superlight/Juliana have always had 71 degree head angles. So, other things being equal, you'd switch the handling to something comparable to a Giant Anthem.

You might also check out this thread. I'm toying with the idea of picking up a 2007 Superlight and stopping down the fork to 80mm---I like the handling of the Anthem better than any other bike I've test ridden, but I like the Superlight's rear suspension behavior better than any other bike I've test ridden---but won't be ordering the bike anytime soon even if I do decide to do it. Then add another three month for Santa Cruz to ship it...

banned
    Dec 2006
    I have a 2002 marz Marathon 80mm. In Colorado it seems to be not enough. I have beaten it on the resorts and a few small, 2' drops..... Great fork, just bottoms out a little much plus I want more squish.

I think 100mm would be good. Or get the XC700 with 130mm, keep the travel short until I get an 07 SL.

DILLIGAF
    I have an 05 superlight with a 80mm Fox F80X and it handles great.

Members who have read this thread: 0