mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2001 Santa Cruz Superlight rear shock and other upgrades:

I have a buddy who is looking to do some major upgrades ($2k) to his 2001 XL Santa Cruz Superlight. He generally rides cross-country but comes from a motor cross background and is pretty aggressive on the downhill. We also have some pretty good dh sections where we ride cross-country (1k drop in 1 mi). I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what rear shock he should be looking at, and what travel fork might be good. We were talking a lot about a Fox Tallas 32. I have one on my bike and I love it. Any advice/opinions would be much welcomed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Your buddy kind of sounds like me. I needed to put about $2000 into my old SL. I just waited till I had $3000 and got a Heckler. The best money I ever spent on a bike. It climbs just as well as an SL of the same weight, but it is way better in the down hill. I kept my SL for riding on smoother trails,but every time I do I just wish I was on the Heckler. Now I only use the SL for towing the bob trailer full of trail buiding tools. I think the SL is a great race bike,but the Heckler is a great trail bike. The Heckler pre-built starts at $2000, but I think the $3000 bike is the better deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    2001 SL's are prone to cracking, I wouldn't be surprise if his is cracked and he doesn't know it. Tell him to look inside the swingarm where the bearing clamping bolts attach, they usually develop hairline fractures there. If it is not cracked , tell him to keep a close eye. The SL is a fantastic bike for XC but I wouldn't use it for aggresive dh that will kill it fast. The Heckler on the other hand is bombproof without giving up too much in the performance side of things, better descender, marginal worse in climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I wouldnt put 2 grand into an 8 year old frame...I love my Superlight but if Ive got another bike for the nasty downhills...if your friend has that much saved up, def go with the Heckler...dont think youre sposed to put more than 100mm fork on the old Superlight anyway...hed be a lot better off with the Heckler...the slightly slacker geometry should be better on the crazy decents you mentioned