Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    ^ I don't know. Try it! Click on the link, read the thread till you get to the link, click the link and read the thread, and repeat. Get back to us when you get back to the future.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member

Bad ASS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    ^ I don't know. Try it! Click on the link, read the thread till you get to the link, click the link and read the thread, and repeat. Get back to us when you get back to the future.

As an update the bike with the 200x57 is working great. Everything is working very well. As of now the bike now weighs in at 28 pounds, 4 ounces. I am so close to breaking the 27 pound threshold. I am just 113.36 grams short of my goal. That is equal to a role of quarters

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBforlife View Post
    As an update the bike with the 200x57 is working great. Everything is working very well. As of now the bike now weighs in at 28 pounds, 4 ounces. I am so close to breaking the 27 pound threshold. I am just 113.36 grams short of my goal. That is equal to a role of quarters
    Stick on a Tioga Spyder saddle. It's about 140 grams, If I remember right and it's the most comfy saddle my sorry ass has sat on.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I just sent PUSH this email:

Hello,

Hope you guys are doing well. I purchased a Santa Cruz Nickel with a 200x50mm Fox RL shock. A lot of people are switching to a 57mm stroke shock. See here:

200 x 57mm shock on a Nickel = 142mm of travel!

I would like to do this. I have been told that the 50mm stroke Fox RL shock can be converted to a 57mm stroke, by removing a spacer. Is this true? If yes, does it need to be retuned? Can you do this for me and how much would it cost? Let me know of any other options that may be available. I would like to have an adjustable platform, but I know the RL doesn't have that.

Thanks,
    Shawn Harrington
    AKA: Mountain Cycle Shawn
    No answer from PUSH yet.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Stick on a Tioga Spyder saddle. It's about 140 grams, If I remember right and it's the most comfy saddle my sorry ass has sat on.
    The seat that is on there now is a Silverado Limited Edition Lopes 55 saddle. That saddle works great. For me, when it comes to saddles comfort trumps weight.

I have heard really good things about the Spyder.

I am very picky about saddles and the one on there now is the best I have used in a long time. The only saddle I have had that I liked better is a old Sella Italia Flight Prolink seat with Carbon rails, which I bought back in year 2000. That is my favorite saddle of all time. That saddle lasted me seven years and it only got better with time. To bad they discontinued that model, I would have ran that saddle forever if I could have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    How does the Roco LO compare to the Float RL that comes on the Nickel? I have found a few still new 2011 Roco Lo's for sale on Ebay for 169 bucks and thought I would check before jumping on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I should say, in ride quality and adjustment. It obviously has the extra travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingnome View Post
    How does the Roco LO compare to the Float RL that comes on the Nickel? I have found a few still new 2011 Roco Lo's for sale on Ebay for 169 bucks and thought I would check before jumping on it.
    I frame originally came with the Fox RL. I rode the bike and everything functioned OK. When I put the ROCO LO on, it took the bike to another level. The ROCO really complements the frame well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thanks! Shock ordered

mtbr member
    I got tired of PUSH effing around for the last five days and not being able to give me an answer. So, I just purchased a new RS Monarch RT3 200 x 57mm, from Suspension Experts, for my Nickel. From the initial contact, it took them about 15 minutes to get back to me and tell me that they have the shock in stock and what tune and which reducers that I need. And, the price was right! I will be sending my new RS Revelation RLT to get NUDGed, by them, once I get the shock on and broke in. It was really nice doing business with Chris at Suspension Experts!
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I frame originally came with the Fox RL. I rode the bike and everything functioned OK. When I put the ROCO LO on, it took the bike to another level. The ROCO really complements the frame well.
    I'm running the roco tst R and have to agree that it is a great match for the nickel. The roco is so plush it is making my lyrik seem a bit harsh . The lyrik felt like a great match on my knolly endo with a rp23 and my Turner rfx with a Pushed fox dhx (MX tune).

mtbr member
    Fox, Marzocchi, Rockshox, Manitou all use the same hardware. So if you replace that Fox crap for some good old Marzocchi love the hardware is the same.
    Actually the Fox hardware is 22 x 8mm and the RS is 21.8 x 8mm.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Does going to the longer stroke shock alter the geo much?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfboy View Post
    Does going to the longer stroke shock alter the geo much?
    No, the eye to eye length of the shock is the same. Technically you could say that things will slacken out a little when you get into that last 7mm of shock stroke.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 11-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    No, the eye to eye length of the shock is the same. Technically you could say that things will slacken out a little when you get in to that last 7mm of shock stroke.
    Thats pretty cool, would make it similar to a BLT but with better geometry. With a 150mm fork it would be nice and slack too.

Sizing is an issue for me, i am right on the border between L and XL but typically ride smaller frames ( currently a L bandit).

The nickel is so cheap right now i am tempted to give it a shot.

mtbr member
    ^ Go for it. I think it's a great bike. I think this frame with a longer stroke shock is one of the best kept secrets in mountain biking. I think I'll probably reduce my new Revelation down to 140mm. There is a lot climbing where I live, so I don't need it to be over slack.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    ^ Go for it. I think it's a great bike. I think this frame with a longer stroke shock is one of the best kept secrets in mountain biking. I think I'll probably reduce my new Revelation down to 140mm. There is a lot climbing where I live, so I don't need it to be over slack.
    I rode Chilao CG and there is a ton of climbing. With my 150mm fork the bike handled great on the climbs and handle Silver Moccasin trail with no issues.

I hope to climb Mt Pinos soon.

By the way my bike is down to 28 pounds 5 ounces. Im so close.

mtbr member
    As of now the bike now weighs in at 28 pounds, 4 ounces.
    By the way my bike is down to 28 pounds 5 ounces. Im so close.
    Are you corn feedin' that thing?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain cycle shawn View Post
    are you corn feedin' that thing?
    lol!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How do you guys think a Nickel with the 200x57mm shock paired with a 160mm fork and angleset to slacken out the front would work for lift access DH runs? I know it wouldn't be able to handle crazy drops or huge jumps, but I got this crazy idea in my head a few hours ago and wanted to run the idea by some others.

I'm currently building a 650b Nickel and thought a slackened out Nickel 26er with 160f/140r travel would be awesome too.

mtbr member
    As long as you don't have to climb steep stuff.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    ^ I think this frame with a longer stroke shock is one of the best kept secrets in mountain biking. .
    X2, I'm trying to get a buddy to buy a nickel for a 650 build before they're gone. These frames are just a great platform for the do it all bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    How do you guys think a Nickel with the 200x57mm shock paired with a 160mm fork and angleset to slacken out the front would work for lift access DH runs? I know it wouldn't be able to handle crazy drops or huge jumps, but I got this crazy idea in my head a few hours ago and wanted to run the idea by some others.

I'm currently building a 650b Nickel and thought a slackened out Nickel 26er with 160f/140r travel would be awesome too.
    I tried mine out with a 160mm travel Marzocchi 55 with a A-to-C length 546mm and I thought the bike did not corner or climb very well.

I decided to use the 44 RC3 Ti150mm travel because I think this fork offers the best of both worlds that fit my riding style

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    As long as you don't have to climb steep stuff.
    This setup would be for lift access DH stuff only, no climbing.

I tried mine out with a 160mm travel Marzocchi 55 with a A-to-C length 546mm and I thought the bike did not corner or climb very well.

I decided to use the 44 RC3 Ti150mm travel because I think this fork offers the best of both worlds that fit my riding style
    I'm curious as to why you thought it didn't corner well, was it the BB height change? I can understand why it wouldn't climb very well though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DYI01 View Post
    This setup would be for lift access DH stuff only, no climbing.

I'm curious as to why you thought it didn't corner well, was it the BB height change? I can understand why it wouldn't climb very well though.
    I found the bike was great going straight but corning the bike felt to tight and I was not able to flick the bike the way I wanted. I also had an issue with the front wheel not hooking up the way I wanted because I had difficulty putting enough weight on the front wheel. The bike did not feel comfortable climbing too. I found I was using extra energy trying to keep the front stable on steep climbs.

When I went to a 44 RC3 Ti I only lost 10mm of travel and lowered the front of the bike by about 20mm.

My head angle is around 67.5 degrees now

Now the bike climbs great and desends like a bat out of hell. I built this bike to be an all around trailbike versus others who are building it up as an All Mountain Bike.

I did build this bike to suit my needs where I ride and riding style.

What I learned with this build is less is more with the exception of putting on a 200x57 rear shock.

Your riding style and location my require different geo.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast