Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2.35 Nevegals for snow

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  idig2000 
#1 ·
The snow is falling here in N. UT and I'm ready for a tire change. The last couple of years it's been a set of Mythos 2.1s on my '08 Superlight for winter, but they were worn to the point of being tossed in the trash at the beginning of this season. I run Python Air Lights w/tubes late spring thru fall. They're great when it's dry and dusty here, but not as good in the slick mud and snow (I'll ride in up to average 3" snow - deeper than that and it's not really fun for me anymore).

Has anyone run the 2.35 Nevegals in mud and snow? Any issues? I'm looking at the DTCs with Stick-E, and will need to ride them at 25-30lbs. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
D

#2 ·
Im not from santacruz, but did ride them alot in VT snow...

the ones I used were actually pretty worn down after a season or two's use and I ran them at low pressure more like 20-25 so thay would float over rather than dig in... I used 2.1 and 2.35... stick-e does not matter as much as pressure...

Great tire, I matched them with 2.1 spechy captain's out back cause my winter bike had no clearance...

#3 ·
I've run Neve's for 2 years until I bought High Rollers a couple months ago. Neve's are junk compared to the HR's. I haven't run the HR's in snow yet, but they're WAY better than Neve's on everything else so far. Not as much volume and roll a little slower, but overall a way better tire.

#4 ·
I guess it's where you ride. I found the HR's to be too rigid of a knob and not wanting to hook up on wet roots and rocks. Here in the Northwest we ride in the wet....a lot. Nevegals, the stick-e's work great but they don't make them tubeless. They are my and my buddies tire of choice for winter. I did have a good experience with the HR's on dry stuff though.

#6 ·
I used Nevegals on hard-packed snow and soft over hard-pack. They corner and brake okay but the ramped knobs lose grip too easily powering and climbing. When I first started using ramped knobs on dirt I noticed this a little but it's pronounced on snow.

Verdict: Usable but not advisable.

Recommendation: Continental Mtn King II 2.4" looks good. A little wider casing and larger, sharper knobs. I'm getting a set to use this winter.

#7 ·
mtnbikej..........I think the J stands for Jerk. In Northern Illinois, I will be ridding tomorrow morning in the upper teens with poss snow/sleet/wintery mix. We won't see the 70's for about 5 months. Back to the topic, I think any knobby tire will work in the snow, just run a little lower pressure. That's my 2 cents.

#10 ·
I've ridden a fair bit in the CO winters. Mostly mixed conditions, dry trails with long sections of snow and patches of ice, frozen slop, etc. I mostly ride in the mornings before things start to melt to much.

So far my Big Betty's with low PSI seam to be my tire of choice for winter.

I can't justify the $$ to purchase a high end studded tire. Reminds me of being a kid and making my own studded BMX tires in the Minnesota winter. Colorado is a cake walk in comparison.

#11 ·
kinda random but the new bike I got has 26x2.2 conti trail kings. Did a Downieville 2 weekends ago and the shuttle couldn't make it up, so we had to climb ~700-1000ft of granny gear snow/ice climbing, and they were perfect, even on ice! Traction going down was really good, although the rear would slip on wet roots if I was powering out of the saddle. Pointed downward, they were good with snow upto the hub!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.