mtbr member
    Mar 2006

1st Generation Blur: Shock Dimensions and Modern Tunes?

I found a very reasonably priced 1st generation blur for my girlfriend. It is equipped with the stock 5th element shock, which felt less than awesome, though every other component on the bike was upgraded nicely. I might try tearing it open, though I'm not optimistic as service kits are non-existent.

I'm currently contemplating a Monarch or Manitou Radium as an economical replacement in the <$200 range (not a Fox fan as I like to work on my own stuff).

What kind of shock tune should I shoot for in an early VPP bike like this? I'm also out of town and don't have the bike on hand to measure shock dimensions, can anyone provide me with i2i and stroke lengths?

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Shock measurements should be: 7.875x2"

Sold my first-gen Blur Classic last year but I also upgraded from the 5th element shock. I first upgraded to a Fox Float R with pro-pedal then to a Fox RP23. I know you are looking for non-Fox options but both of these shocks can be had very cheaply these days and the air sleeve service was all I really needed to do on the 5+ years I was running these on my Blur which is something you can definitely do yourself.

With the RP23 I mostly ran it with the pro-pedal off except on the longer steeper climbs since the VPP suspension minimizes bobbing.