mtbr member
    Jul 2013

1st gen Nomad bearings-the truth

well i'm seeking the truth and some objective opinions. On my quest to buy a nice used AM bike the Nomad is on my short list, a 2007 to be exact. All I hear is that I will need to replace the bearings 1-2 times a year. While I know this probably isn't true, how often can I expect to realistically change or service the bearings. I don't mind doing the work, but they aren't cheap. thanks

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    I have one since 2006, have not replaced the bearings yet. No play, squeaks, nothing. I'm a 165 rider, in dry Bay Area conditions. Fortunate to have a few bikes to cycle through though so the Nomad is used when I feel like it. But the first year and half (I got it used) it was my main ride and I rode it a lot. Still no play or squeaks to this day. Maybe I got lucky...

mini clyde
    IMO Blur Classic/BLT1/4x were worse about squeaking/popping from pivots than Nomads. The only pivot that ever made any racket on my v1 Nomad was the front shock pin, it seized up in the shock reducers. I don't think that bike ever had a bearing replaced, whereas my BLT1 was on its third set when I quit riding it.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Currently riding a 1st gen Nomad and have been for about 4-5 yrs, (w/ some of that time on a VP Free too), but I have to replace the bearings at least every 1 to 1 1/2 yrs. Two yrs is the most I've gotten out of a set of bearings. I ride some really nasty rides too. Nasty as in the type of dh/freeride (gnar/tech) AND th weather. I'm thinkin that's about average.....hope so anywayz.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand View Post
    Currently riding a 1st gen Nomad and have been for about 4-5 yrs, (w/ some of that time on a VP Free too), but I have to replace the bearings at least every 1 to 1 1/2 yrs. Two yrs is the most I've gotten out of a set of bearings. I ride some really nasty rides too. Nasty as in the type of dh/freeride (gnar/tech) AND th weather. I'm thinkin that's about average.....hope so anywayz.
    Did you replace because they were worn or just noisy? Has there ever been any sort of upgraded bearings? The 1gen use sealed bearings right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eedavis View Post
    IMO Blur Classic/BLT1/4x were worse about squeaking/popping from pivots than Nomads. The only pivot that ever made any racket on my v1 Nomad was the front shock pin, it seized up in the shock reducers. I don't think that bike ever had a bearing replaced, whereas my BLT1 was on its third set when I quit riding it.
    This sounds like a lack of lubrication (to fend off corrosion). The shock pins (or bolts on other models) should pull the frame/link tabs onto the mounting hardware pin - which should be held tight; and the shock eyelet and bush then rotates around the stationary pin

The original VPP bikes all used the same size bearings with that wider inner race, although they did change over time to improve reliability. This includes the Nomad1 and all Blur1s. Maybe the construction of the Nomad1 improved the frames' bearing reliability due to extra stiffness, for example

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2007, and the only bearings I have to replace every year are the bigger ones on the upper link. I just replaced the rest this past winter.

Oh, and they are about $30 from RWC if you need to buy them, not sure you would get the free ones for life since you are not the original owner.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Yes as far as I know 1st gen bearings, no noise, no grinding...just worn out. The rear triangle gets "wallowy" & "flexy", nothing like a new bearing set feels.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This is great info for me as well. I will be starting a build of a 1st gen nomad in January.
    And it seems that there is a fair amount of riders w/experience on this frame design.
    It'll be spec'd w/some new, some used parts. I didn't have an open budget, but I'm stoked!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shedside View Post
    This is great info for me as well. I will be starting a build of a 1st gen nomad in January.
    And it seems that there is a fair amount of riders w/experience on this frame design.
    It'll be spec'd w/some new, some used parts. I didn't have an open budget, but I'm stoked!
    If it's a 2nd hand frame check it carefully. The early first gens had a lower link with a slot machined in it between the bearings, this let in the mud/water and the bearings soon died. After about 6 months SC released a revised lower link without the slots and the bearings would last a bit longer. The bearings are easy to change provided you use the correct tools. If you try to go ghetto and bash them in and out using a socket set you risk a nightmare. Also, check for cracks, especially around where the upper link pivot axle goes through the toptube - this is a known weak point. The 1st gen frame also feels way better with a coil shock, most of the air shocks wallow in the mid stroke.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Volcano last, thanx for the info. The frame seems fine. I have access to presses and will probably be swapping out bearings each year. Next season I plan to install a coil shock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Used to have a late 2006/early 2007 not sure. Rode it for 5 years in all kinds of conditions (a lot of mud) and no issues with bearings.