mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Smile 1996 First Generation Heckler value?

Greetings Santa Cruz fans. I am trying to sell a 1996 Heckler, which I'm fairly sure was the first year for Hecklers. It has all the original parts except for saddle, grips and pedals.
    The bike is in very good used condition, having had three owners in 12 years, the first one being Suzanne Cengia, an Australian Team Santa Cruz female dual slalom champion back in 1998. The bike was also featured in Australian Mountain Bike Magazine back then. (yes I am an Aussie now living in the US)
    So my question is what would this bike be worth on the open market? Does it have vintage value or is it just an old mountain bike? I would like it to go to someone who appreciates its pedigree but maybe I'm just being nostalgic. Appreciate your opinions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Im gonna go ahead and say its worth about 50 bucks.....cuz thats all i could probably secretly spend without the girl noticing....but i wouldnt be surprised to see this going on ebay for a good chunk...Id say its probably worth a bit and I wouldnt sell it short (unless you wanna sell it to me for 50 bucks)...not sure how much but to the right buyer itd be somethin pretty cool (especially if you throw in the magazine it was it)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

its not worth much, and probably not worth selling...

if it is your size, why not turn it into a singlespeed? Your profile says your ride a Reign. As a former Reign rider, and now Anthem rider, my old '98 Heckler sat in the corner of the garage, unused, until one day I just started taking parts off until it was down to bare essentials. Now it gets more use than the Anthem, well, at least for cruising around town and to the beach. It costs very little to convert, and is a blast to ride- much different than a geared bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    I would say it's worth............1 million doll hairs.
    No paper mache bikes allowed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's an update. I put the bike on Ebay and a nice gentlemen from Santa Cruz CA (?!?!) offered me $600 bucks on the spot. The bike is now headed home to its alma mater to spend its days riding the same trails it was born on. I'm happy with that.

P.S. I'm trying to thin out my collection. I'm down to 5 bikes now from a peak of 7. I still have a 99 Heckler which rocks. Next to go is my 1998 GT LTS. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    After googling myself one day I came across this message thread. Interesting to know what happened to my old and much loved Heckler!