mtbr member
    Aug 2006

160mm fork for 2006 Heckler?

I have a 2006 Heckler with a 140mm Minute Absolute but need a biger fork.
    Opinions please for the best 160mm fork on a Heckler?

Thanks

Setra

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I put a Van 36 RC2 on mine and think that it is a great match. I am tall, so the extra height in the front is a benefit rather than a liability for me on anything but the steepest climbs. I am a big guy, so more than anything I just wanted the rigidity of a 20mm thru axle.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    A reduced price 07 Talas is a great way to go too. Then you get the best of both worlds.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've just changed froma Pike 140mm to a Lyric 160mm and its a great improvment going down , just more work going up, if I wind them down to around 130mm the A-C is the same as the Pike at 140 so climbing can be easier, great fork coil version

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Floggus
    I put a Van 36 RC2 on mine and think that it is a great match. I am tall, so the extra height in the front is a benefit rather than a liability for me on anything but the steepest climbs. I am a big guy, so more than anything I just wanted the rigidity of a 20mm thru axle.
    I am pretty tall and heavy (6' 5" x 250 lbs) , currently have a 07 heckler with a 07 Fox 32 float rlc. I was thinking in switching to a 36 even though I never tried a 160 fork. How will it compare to the 32 while climbing? Any advice?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Have a Fox Talas 36 R-- Great Fork makes the heckler bomb proof.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    definitely a little hard climbing at 160 and makes the heckler a little too slack/slow for most trail riding, but if you get one adjustable it is awesome. only time i'm at 160 is on steep DH shuttle/lift trails, otherwise its usually 140-150.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orkaccio
    I am pretty tall and heavy (6' 5" x 250 lbs) , currently have a 07 heckler with a 07 Fox 32 float rlc. I was thinking in switching to a 36 even though I never tried a 160 fork. How will it compare to the 32 while climbing? Any advice?
    Thanks

I find that for most climbing I am more comfortable with the higher front end. At 6'6", I am on the large side for the XL, so it is just a better fit for me now. I do have to shift weight forward a little to keep the front wheel on the ground during really steep stuff, but I used to spin out more on the 32. I used to get a sore back from leaning over too far on the 32 during long fire road grinds, but now I am always comfortable. Before I did the upgrade, I was looking at other options to raise the front end such as longer/steeper stem and higher bars because it always felt a little low in the front. If you are feeling the same, then I would definitely recommend the longer fork.

Otherwise, if you dont mind fiddling with stuff every ride, the adjustable travel options may be better for you. Personally, I deliberately chose a fork with no travel adjust and no lock out because there was nothing I hated more than starting my decent only to realize I had to stop to change something on my fork. I prefer to suffer a little on the climbs than have my descents ruined. I love my van 36 and wouldn't go back even if I only did XC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just swopped back to my Pike ,climbing is so much easier, Lyric much better down hill but on my normal rides Pike is enough