mtbr member
    Aug 2005

'12 Blur chainline / chainstay clearance issues??

Wondering if anyone's had similar problem here. I'm having to reverse shimano's bb-spacer instructions to get a half-decent chainline, which puts almost no clearance between chainring and chainstay. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that when the previous owner replaced the linkages, something went wrong in that process?? I haven't ever worked on Blur linkages, so I don't know in what ways it could be possible to mess up lateral spacing of the rear triangle... but this chainring clearance vs. chainline non-compatibility seems crazy.

I took a look at SC's instructions for removing/installing bearings and linkages, but without actually pulling it all apart I can't quite picture if it would actually be possible to have reassembled it in a way that offsets the rear triangle too far toward the drive side? Could bearings/seals be pressed in backwards, or just not seated, or...?

Are Blurs just designed this way, to work well with almost no chain/chainstay clearance? (and no BB cup spacer on the drive side???)

Any help or insights much appreciated!!

Tree Crasher
    I've serviced my bearings several times and there's only one way to reinstall them. The seat tube should be centered in front of the rear tire and centered between the seat stays. I can't comment on clearance since I'm running 2x9 with room to spare though I do have a spacer on the drive side and none on the left. Then again mine is circa 2009(?) and the geo's been tweaked since then. Forgot what chainline I'm running but SC specs 50mm.

If no one else chimes in with better help shoot SC an email they're really good with that.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Need more info from you to help you out.
    How are you measuring or looking at chain line?
    Middle ring to middle of cassette?
    Are you setting up triple, double or single ring cranks?
    You should have no problem with Shimano triple or double cranks on your frame with a spacer on the drive side and no spacer on the non drive.
    If you are setting up a triple ring cranks and just eyeballing chain line-it can look a bit off in the middle and big ring when you are in the lowest 3 gears in back.
    Same goes for granny and middle ring when you are in the 3 highest gears in back.
    Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Chainline Concepts