Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    emtb.pl

09 Nomad sizing - L or XL at 6'2"

I know, I know. First of all noone knows yet how these realy are.
    I know most people tend to L at 6'2" but...
    i have realy long arms and very wide shoulders.
    I have an LT2 in XL size and love it. Not a tad too long and totaly agile. I run it with 70mm 0deg and with just 3mm under the stem (36 talas@130 and 650B wheel) and 680mm Syntace Vector (just a tiny bit of rise)
    I want this Nomad to be as agile as possible (but built with coil) and always liked smaller frames but LT2 in L was just to cramped. So I am indeed very careful here plus there will be no test rides available:/
    I just made up my mind and pre-paid (comming in January) but need to call it on the size.
    Let's have it, what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I'm not a Nomad owner, so I'm sure you'll get much more accurate advice, but I always thought the Nomad had a slightly short cockpit compared to the other models.

I'm 6' 4" with a long back & wide-ish shoulders, and I looked into Nomad sizing before I bought my XL '08 Heckler - I went with the heck mainly because of pricing but also because the angles made more sense to me.

Like I said, I've never ridden an XL nomad so take my advice with a pinch of salt...

mtbr member
    What kind of riding do you intend to do with the Nomad? I tried a buddy's L Nomad (I'm 6-4) and found the cockpit way too tight for pedaling. I have a L Bullit, but use it for DH/FR. My Heckler is an XL. If you're using it for All Mountain purposes, given your physical description, I'd go with the XL.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    What kind of riding do you intend to do with the Nomad? I tried a buddy's L Nomad (I'm 6-4) and found the cockpit way too tight for pedaling. I have a L Bullit, but use it for DH/FR. My Heckler is an XL. If you're using it for All Mountain purposes, given your physical description, I'd go with the XL.
    I'll be doing epic to aggressive trail to light FR
    I'll either leave it with Evolver (if it proves right) or build it with coil. 36talas and 650B for start, might go 36van if it proves insensitive to travel adjust. I weigh 210 w/o gear and come from pure XC racing way back (and few lbs back).
    I'll try to keep my LT2 for endurance and build it around 28lbs but might sell it if I see the Nomad can take its duties - never too much coin and two kids now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am 6' 1" and very wide shoulders also, and rode the 09 nomad at Vegas dirt demo. It fit perfectly with I think a 75mm stem with a lyrik and a pearl rear shock. It is more all mountain than the old nomad, with a bit less travel and quicker feeling. It seems on paper to be very close to the LT2.

The Nomad rocks second only to the Knolly Endo. You may want to look at the Tracer VP is was very fast and agile for a 6x6 with the 5.5 option its like a cross between the Nomad and the BLT2. So you could have one bike and maybe switch wheels sets/ wheels for heavy and light.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    I am 6' 1" and very wide shoulders also, and rode the 09 nomad at Vegas dirt demo. It fit perfectly with I think a 75mm stem with a lyrik and a pearl rear shock. It is more all mountain than the old nomad, with a bit less travel and quicker feeling. It seems on paper to be very close to the LT2.
    Sweet but what size did you demoed?:P

mtbr member
    I'm sticking with my original answer. The top tube length on the L Blur LT is actually slightly longer than the Nomad (23.5 vs. 23.3), so if the L Blur LT feels cramped, the L Nomad will probably feel cramped as well. The XL Blur LT is 24.5, vs. 23.8 for the XL Nomad, so you're still tightening up the cockpit vs. what you're used to with the XL Nomad.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by brainbckt
    I'm sticking with my original answer. The top tube length on the L Blur LT is actually slightly longer than the Nomad (23.5 vs. 23.3), so if the L Blur LT feels cramped, the L Nomad will probably feel cramped as well. The XL Blur LT is 24.5, vs. 23.8 for the XL Nomad, so you're still tightening up the cockpit vs. what you're used to with the XL Nomad.
    Well... not so with the LT2 vs Nomad2:P Which makes my choice even harder:P
    Look:
    Nomad 2 TT L=23.8" XL=24.8"
    LT2 TT L=23.5" XL=24.5"

I am surprised as well but these are the numbers from the 09 catalog

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    demo'd the large 09 at Vegas. I had the 07 nomad and its close to the same TT, the 07 was 24"

brainbckt you are looking at the 08 Nomad specs. I believe the 09 large is now a 23.8 TT

mtbr member
    My bad. I should have read the fine print. This is a toughie, krolik. You're right on the border, both in terms of your size and intended use. If you were more FR/DH, I'd say go with the L. If you leaned XC/AM, I'd say go XL. You're smack in the middle. You could probably go either way and play with stem length to get comfortable. How's that for a wishy-washy answer?

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Hi Krolik,

I say try the Large. We exchanged ideas a while ago about sizing. I'm 6'3" and went with a large BLT2. I also have a 2008 Demo 7 II that feels totally short in the parking lot but just shines up at Whistler. Try the Nomad out, if you can rent one, on it's intended terrain. Flatland tests are deceptive.

Propr
    I'm 6-0 and rock the L with 711mm wide bars and switch between a 50mm & 90mm steam depending on what type of riding I plan on doing that day. The bike came with a 100mm but I found it to be too long for me and my riding style.

I'd say XL for the type of riding you plan on doing...and just for more input...my bro is 6-4 and rode my L and said it felt way too small for him...he currently is riding a Bullet XL (20.5") and is pondering getting a XL Nomad and transferring parts to go with something a bit more climbable for the riding in our area.
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

emtb.pl
    Thanks for all your input so far.
    I am leaning towards the L as it is only 20mm shorter then my LT2 and Xl would be 7mm longer and I don't think it should be.
    I might just look for some wider 710+ bars again (but with no or just slight rise)
    But haven't made up my mind yet.
    I am definietely going ccdb though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    Nomad 2 TT L=23.8" XL=24.8"
    LT2 TT L=23.5" XL=24.5"

I am surprised as well but these are the numbers from the 09 catalog
    Meh, its all to complicated. I have a similar sizing issue. ATM I'm on a XL Heckler.4 (4years old) which has a 25.3" toptube according to the catalogue. I wanted something shorter (or so I thought) so for a playbike I picked up a new Chameleon on large, with a 23.5 toptube. It was way to cramped for anything more than playing about in the woods on - I couldn't move about on fireroad climbs and standing up in technical stuff resulted in my knees meeting the shifters all to often (with a 100mm stem).

I've gone back to the Heckler now (with a 75mm stem) but I have the new bike itch and pondered a BLT2 or a new Nomad. I can't DH for **** on the XL Heckler cos my weight is to far forward (my large Bullit is spot on for proper DH, 60mm stem) so I pondered again a large, but I don't think I'd ever be happy on climbs.

Quite why the more XC oriented BLT2 has a shorter toptube then the Nomad I know not, 'cos if it were the other way rounds it would make more sense to me and I would think an XL BLT2 would fit me great, but now I wonder if I should get a Nomad.... and the ano green *drool*

Oh, I'm 6'3", long arms and 36" inside leg for trousers (no idea what crotch to floor is).

Hmm, not sure this post was helpful, sorry, but heck, you never know.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzboy
    Hi Krolik,

I say try the Large. We exchanged ideas a while ago about sizing. I'm 6'3" and went with a large BLT2. I also have a 2008 Demo 7 II that feels totally short in the parking lot but just shines up at Whistler. Try the Nomad out, if you can rent one, on it's intended terrain. Flatland tests are deceptive.
    No chance unfortunately
    btw, what stem are you running on that L?

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by al_bullit
    Meh, its all to complicated. I have a similar sizing issue. ATM I'm on a XL Heckler.4 (4years old) which has a 25.3" toptube according to the catalogue. I wanted something shorter (or so I thought) so for a playbike I picked up a new Chameleon on large, with a 23.5 toptube. It was way to cramped for anything more than playing about in the woods on - I couldn't move about on fireroad climbs and standing up in technical stuff resulted in my knees meeting the shifters all to often (with a 100mm stem).

I've gone back to the Heckler now (with a 75mm stem) but I have the new bike itch and pondered a BLT2 or a new Nomad. I can't DH for **** on the XL Heckler cos my weight is to far forward (my large Bullit is spot on for proper DH, 60mm stem) so I pondered again a large, but I don't think I'd ever be happy on climbs.

Quite why the more XC oriented BLT2 has a shorter toptube then the Nomad I know not, 'cos if it were the other way rounds it would make more sense to me and I would think an XL BLT2 would fit me great, but now I wonder if I should get a Nomad.... and the ano green *drool*

Oh, I'm 6'3", long arms and 36" inside leg for trousers (no idea what crotch to floor is).

Hmm, not sure this post was helpful, sorry, but heck, you never know.
    It's sooo confusing:P
    Another bit to think of is the wheelbase on these. I know Nomad has a tad longer chainstays but XL nomad has 46.1" wheelbase compared to the 44.8" of the XL LT2 and together with the longer TT it could make the bike really big:/
    I am 188cm so 6'17" to be exact, 200cm(79") arm reach tip-to-tip, 35.5" croach to floor (normaly wearing 34" trousers)
    Light FR is the worsed this bike will see so I don't need a pure play bike, more abusive trail or AM. I need to climb on it as well.
    XL LT2 with 70 0deg stem is the shortest I would like on that particular frame and feels perfect.
    So I would need the nomad2 either XL with 50 or L with 90 I guess (theory here)
    Gosh, it really is a hard one - I need to make up my mind till sunday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    We're pretty much the same height and weight, I'm 6'2" and about 200lbs, and the same riding style. I don't know if my arms are very long and all that, but I have an XL Nomad. I've never been on a large, but have wondered if a large would fit better at times. Riding up hills and all that I think it fits great for me. Somtimes on the downhill and with drops and jumps I've thought it feels too big. I also BMX so it might be that I get comfortable with a clown bike and then go ride my nomad. I rode my buddy's large Bullit around a trailhead once, and that felt like it would fit as well. All in all, I'm happy with the XL but I've wondered if a large would feel better. Hope this helps even with all the caveats.

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    Currently a 100mm Thomson (with Float 36 RC2) & set back seatpost. I think the original 110mm (with Pike 454) & no set back seatpost was better.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzboy
    Currently a 100mm Thomson (with Float 36 RC2) & set back seatpost. I think the original 110mm (with Pike 454) & no set back seatpost was better.
    I'm against setback on SC bikes like nomad and lt as long as you use it uphill too.
    I always felt like sitting behind the bike when on setback with my cranks in front of me:/
    I will use straight for sure.

mtbr member

new nomad

demo'd the large 09 at Vegas. I had the 07 nomad and its close to the same TT, the 07 was 24"

brainbckt you are looking at the 08 Nomad specs. I believe the 09 large is now a 23.8 TT
    Not to derail the thread but how was the 09 compared to the older nomad? I have an 08' and at 5'11" I am thinking of switching the frame out for an 09' for the longer top tube if the thing is as good as SC claims.
    I am dying for a ride report on that thinng!

mtbr member
    You may want to look at the Tracer VP is was very fast and agile for a 6x6 with the 5.5 option its like a cross between the Nomad and the BLT2. So you could have one bike and maybe switch wheels sets/ wheels for heavy and light.
    This is the most useful single piece of information I've ever had about the new Tracer. I was wondering how this bike would compare with VPP2 SC bikes, and you kinda gave away the hint I wanted to hear. Could you PM me with more comments about your impressions of the Tracer, general feel, set-up on the bike you rode, etc? I just don't want to piss off the guys here with questions about non SC bikes! Thanks in advance!

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by KO21
    We're pretty much the same height and weight, I'm 6'2" and about 200lbs, and the same riding style. I don't know if my arms are very long and all that, but I have an XL Nomad. I've never been on a large, but have wondered if a large would fit better at times. Riding up hills and all that I think it fits great for me. Somtimes on the downhill and with drops and jumps I've thought it feels too big. I also BMX so it might be that I get comfortable with a clown bike and then go ride my nomad. I rode my buddy's large Bullit around a trailhead once, and that felt like it would fit as well. All in all, I'm happy with the XL but I've wondered if a large would feel better. Hope this helps even with all the caveats.
    It is helpful. Can you measure your arms span - just stick'em out 90deg from your body to the sides and let someone measure it tip-to-tip? For comparison sake:P tia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KO21
    This is the very same feeling I get on my XL Heckler. I've tried laybak posts and short stem, inline posts and long stems and combinations of both. I've tried diff sweep/rise bars and even diff length cranks (well, why not ). In the end I'm inline post, 75mm stem, 2" rise pars and just accepting that its not so nice on the downs.

I shall have to ponder wheelbases as suggested I think. Or a longer fork...

I should say, I have ridden a lot of other bikes too, and none ever feel better. As to trying a large Bullit XC, I did that, but the post was so far out I was sat behind the rear axle! (not literally, but you know what I mean).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When comparing the published specs between the new Blur LT and Nomad remember that they are based using different a2c measurements. With the same fork a2c you may find some of the numbers more similar.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by GTV8
    When comparing the published specs between the new Blur LT and Nomad remember that they are based using different a2c measurements. With the same fork a2c you may find some of the numbers more similar.
    agreed but only angles - lenghts won't right? Ok, wheelbase will but tt is constant:P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast