Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

08 Nomad for xc duties?

My nomad is being used for marathon xc races 50-100km and evening shorter xc races, It weighs 15kg and I was thinking of running as a Ibis Mojo killer???? I can't bear to part with it at present but don't want to ruin the ride either!!!!

Currently I run my nomad like this,

08 Lg with dhxa
    Lyrik Coil Uturn
    hope pro2 with dt 5.1
    Kenda Nev dtc 2.35
    Xt cranks
    XO shifters/deralier
    Carbon post and bars et.....

I was thinking of changing to this,

08 Lg with rp23
    Fox 32 Talas 150mm QR15

hope pro2 with dt 5.1
    Maxxis 500g per tyre (cant remeber name)
    Xt cranks
    XO shifters/deralier
    Carbon post and bars et....

Should get it around 13.2kg????

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ProII with a DT 4.2 rim with stans would be another good addition, I built some for my Heckler rolled super quick and where pretty strong for xc. tyres I had racing Ralphs,

mtbr member
    hi
    i think that the most importand are the tyres . On my nomad is a big riding diferrent from 2.35 to 2.1 tyres
    The bike is pedaling much more better

mtbr member
    i dont know the size of your stem but i think that for xc riding 90mm or bigger is better

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would keep the DHX air, and spend more on a good custom xc wheelset and yes 2.1 tires. Once you lighten up you're rotating mass and you'll be pleasently suprised this will increase you're avarage mileage. I changed to stans rims and went tubless and this increased my avg. speed by 1/2 to 1 mile mph by just doing that upgrade alone. Also you may want to run a longer stem makes for better climbing more room for breathing and just overall XC ridein. And another good upgrade would be enduro ceramic bearing's for those XT cranks makes them spin with much less drag.

nerfherder
    How much would it cost you to get the TALAS and RP3? You'd need a new wheel for the Q15, too. That's like a $1000+. For that money I'd rather buy an affordable used hardtail for racing and keep the Nomad as is.

Natural body armor
    I raced XC on a 36# Nomad (16.2kg) I can't say with great results, but I had fun.

I'm with scruffylooking on this one, you may be better off putting the money in a used HT, which can easily weight 24# (11kg)

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    I raced XC on a 36# Nomad (16.2kg) I can't say with great results, but I had fun.
    ZT,
    You are a better man than I. Haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    How much would it cost you to get the TALAS and RP3? You'd need a new wheel for the Q15, too. That's like a $1000+. For that money I'd rather buy an affordable used hardtail for racing and keep the Nomad as is.
    I'm thinking that I would get adaptors fpr the hope hub and sell my Lyrik and DHXA to offset the cost. I just don't have room for any more bikes.

nerfherder
    Mmm... given the constraints of "no new bikes" then I'd say keep the suspension as is and spend your money on light wheels and tires. That's where the weight makes the most difference. Regardless, at the end of the day I think you'll be making a compromise no matter what because a Nomad will never be an XC racer no matter how much money you throw at it. So keep the suspension as is so you can enjoy it for it's intended purpose and get some killer light wheels that will make the Nomad feel lighter than it really is. That's my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth.

BTW, I own a Nomad, too. Love the bike. LOVE IT.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle

I'm with scruffylooking on this one, you may be better off putting the money in a used HT, which can easily weight 24# (11kg)ZT
    Hey ZT, at least your getting pretty fit hauling that thing around!! Ha ha love the coil shock on a XC bike!! I hope you managed to beat out some of the hardtails, would pay to see the looks on their faces when you hauled by them on that beast!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

Black Dragon
    Mmm... given the constraints of "no new bikes" then I'd say keep the suspension as is and spend your money on light wheels and tires. That's where the weight makes the most difference. Regardless, at the end of the day I think you'll be making a compromise no matter what because a Nomad will never be an XC racer no matter how much money you throw at it. So keep the suspension as is so you can enjoy it for it's intended purpose and get some killer light wheels that will make the Nomad feel lighter than it really is. That's my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth.

BTW, I own a Nomad, too. Love the bike. LOVE IT.

I completely agree with Scruffy's comments throughout this thread. I also own a Nomad.
    Could I put an ultra-light wheelset on it and other similar components and race XC with my Nomad? Absolutely. Would I be still be at a huge disadvantage against true XC race bikes? Absolutely. But it could be done.

Scruffy, would you please quit writing what I'm going to say before I say it!?

nerfherder
    Black Dragon, we can be tag team wrestlers and take turns saying this stuff. I'll be the dark mysterious one in black military fatigues. You can have the cape and speedos. Tag.

Ride Good or Eat Wood
    You can have the cape and speedos. Tag.
    Hmmmmm., "speedos"...... reckon you might be an Aussie there mate!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Definitely not!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    My nomad is being used for marathon xc races 50-100km and evening shorter xc races, 08 Lg with rp23
    Fox 32 Talas 150mm QR15

hope pro2 with dt 5.1
    Maxxis 500g per tyre (cant remeber name)
    Xt cranks
    XO shifters/deralier
    Carbon post and bars et....

Should get it around 13.2kg????

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!
    Re. Fox 32 Talas 150mm QR15, Im thinking of getting one of these for my BLT2 but initially I will be running it on my Nomad Mk2. Also just for kicks I will probably run my Crossmax ST wheelset with 2.1 Maxxis ADvantage tyres. Im currently out of action for down hilling due to a shoulder injury so its a good time to play with the spec of my bikes. When I was waiting for my Nomad I had the BLT2 set up with a burly build (36 Vans, short AM stem ect) and really liked it but a Nomad dressed for XC sounds kind of nuts but fun.

Just a last thought, Im wondering if the BB will end up a bit low using the 32 150 fork???

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have to agree with some of the others keep what you have and just run a set of light wheels n tubless tyres 2.1's and 160mm discs, no power to slow you down so you go faster

mtbr member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scruffylooking

You can have the cape and speedos. Tag

Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Says OC on Scruffy's profile, maybe Orange County So-Cal???

nerfherder
    Yep, OC = Orange County, CA.

Ooh, cape & speedos...

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    I would reccomend a Float over the TALAS for a Nomad. The resale is better for a Nomad but the geometry is really spot on with 160mm fork. You'll very likely never touch the Travel adjust. And it will save you a little $.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Generation 1

I've got an original Nomad set up with a DUC32. I'm no racer but it's been around the rocks a few times during several 24hrs of Moab "races / parties". With the correct build a Nomad can be super fun for 24hrs or Enduro / aggressive events. Lets face it. most of us are not pros, or even close to our physical potential. Get out and ride when you can, bleed a little, smile & tip a cold beer.

Go for it, you'll have fun.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

mtbr member
    Yep, OC = Orange County, CA.

Ooh, cape & speedos...
    Yep, us Ozzies love wearing our "capes and speedos" when ever possible. If you dont believe me just check out the spectators next time you watch an australian cricket match or footy (rugby or Australian rules football) on satellite TV.

You dont watch cricket or footy??? Well neither do I. I would rather be out riding my bike.

mtbr member
    When I originally put the together my nomad it was an xc build. mavic 717s, 2.1 tires, dhx air, and float 36. It rode nice and weighed 29.5lbs. Since then I moved to 2.4 mountain kings and a dhx coil and it rides 10 times better, climbs so much easier with the coil. I really haven't noticed a weight penalty and actually feel faster with the better response from the bike b/c of the tires and coil. Like some of said take the weight off the wheels that will make the biggest difference. Here is a pic of the original xc build:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    How much lighter can my wheels go?

They are hope pro 2 hubs and DT 5.1 32 hole.
    As for tyres the maxxis????

I originally had float 36's but they felt a bit long on my local XC trail/races, just couldn't get them dialed and only getting 140mm travel. Thats why I thought 32 talas 150mm

I might just have to 'Harden the f&*K up'!!!

And down under we call 'speedo's', Budgie Smuglers....

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    Yep, us Ozzies love wearing our "capes and speedos" when ever possible. If you dont believe me just check out the spectators next time you watch an australian cricket match or footy (rugby or Australian rules football) on satellite TV.

You dont watch cricket or footy??? Well neither do I. I would rather be out riding my bike.
    Oh wow. I had no idea. I should move. Haha.

As for biketavious... 5.1ds are pretty solid all mountain rims. You could go 4.2d or 4.1d and some light rubber. It adds up and a couple hundred grams at the outer diameter of the wheels makes a big difference.

That said, honestly, it sounds like maybe you have too much bike in the Nomad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast