Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 70
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420

    08 Nomad for xc duties?

    My nomad is being used for marathon xc races 50-100km and evening shorter xc races, It weighs 15kg and I was thinking of running as a Ibis Mojo killer???? I can't bear to part with it at present but don't want to ruin the ride either!!!!

    Currently I run my nomad like this,

    08 Lg with dhxa
    Lyrik Coil Uturn
    hope pro2 with dt 5.1
    Kenda Nev dtc 2.35
    Xt cranks
    XO shifters/deralier
    Carbon post and bars et.....

    I was thinking of changing to this,

    08 Lg with rp23
    Fox 32 Talas 150mm QR15

    hope pro2 with dt 5.1
    Maxxis 500g per tyre (cant remeber name)
    Xt cranks
    XO shifters/deralier
    Carbon post and bars et....

    Should get it around 13.2kg????

    Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,385
    ProII with a DT 4.2 rim with stans would be another good addition, I built some for my Heckler rolled super quick and where pretty strong for xc. tyres I had racing Ralphs,

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: demrgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    hi
    i think that the most importand are the tyres . On my nomad is a big riding diferrent from 2.35 to 2.1 tyres
    The bike is pedaling much more better

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: demrgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    119
    i dont know the size of your stem but i think that for xc riding 90mm or bigger is better

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    34
    I would keep the DHX air, and spend more on a good custom xc wheelset and yes 2.1 tires. Once you lighten up you're rotating mass and you'll be pleasently suprised this will increase you're avarage mileage. I changed to stans rims and went tubless and this increased my avg. speed by 1/2 to 1 mile mph by just doing that upgrade alone. Also you may want to run a longer stem makes for better climbing more room for breathing and just overall XC ridein. And another good upgrade would be enduro ceramic bearing's for those XT cranks makes them spin with much less drag.

  6. #6
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    How much would it cost you to get the TALAS and RP3? You'd need a new wheel for the Q15, too. That's like a $1000+. For that money I'd rather buy an affordable used hardtail for racing and keep the Nomad as is.

  7. #7
    Natural body armor
    Reputation: Zen_Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,153
    I raced XC on a 36# Nomad (16.2kg) I can't say with great results, but I had fun.

    I'm with scruffylooking on this one, you may be better off putting the money in a used HT, which can easily weight 24# (11kg)


    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla --- Savvy Bike

  8. #8
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    I raced XC on a 36# Nomad (16.2kg) I can't say with great results, but I had fun.
    ZT,
    You are a better man than I. Haha.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    How much would it cost you to get the TALAS and RP3? You'd need a new wheel for the Q15, too. That's like a $1000+. For that money I'd rather buy an affordable used hardtail for racing and keep the Nomad as is.
    I'm thinking that I would get adaptors fpr the hope hub and sell my Lyrik and DHXA to offset the cost. I just don't have room for any more bikes.

  10. #10
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Mmm... given the constraints of "no new bikes" then I'd say keep the suspension as is and spend your money on light wheels and tires. That's where the weight makes the most difference. Regardless, at the end of the day I think you'll be making a compromise no matter what because a Nomad will never be an XC racer no matter how much money you throw at it. So keep the suspension as is so you can enjoy it for it's intended purpose and get some killer light wheels that will make the Nomad feel lighter than it really is. That's my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth.

    BTW, I own a Nomad, too. Love the bike. LOVE IT.

  11. #11
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Turtle
    I raced XC on a 36# Nomad (16.2kg) I can't say with great results, but I had fun.

    I'm with scruffylooking on this one, you may be better off putting the money in a used HT, which can easily weight 24# (11kg)ZT
    Hey ZT, at least your getting pretty fit hauling that thing around!! Ha ha love the coil shock on a XC bike!! I hope you managed to beat out some of the hardtails, would pay to see the looks on their faces when you hauled by them on that beast!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  12. #12
    Black Dragon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Mmm... given the constraints of "no new bikes" then I'd say keep the suspension as is and spend your money on light wheels and tires. That's where the weight makes the most difference. Regardless, at the end of the day I think you'll be making a compromise no matter what because a Nomad will never be an XC racer no matter how much money you throw at it. So keep the suspension as is so you can enjoy it for it's intended purpose and get some killer light wheels that will make the Nomad feel lighter than it really is. That's my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth.

    BTW, I own a Nomad, too. Love the bike. LOVE IT.

    I completely agree with Scruffy's comments throughout this thread. I also own a Nomad.
    Could I put an ultra-light wheelset on it and other similar components and race XC with my Nomad? Absolutely. Would I be still be at a huge disadvantage against true XC race bikes? Absolutely. But it could be done.

    Scruffy, would you please quit writing what I'm going to say before I say it!?

  13. #13
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Black Dragon, we can be tag team wrestlers and take turns saying this stuff. I'll be the dark mysterious one in black military fatigues. You can have the cape and speedos. Tag.

  14. #14
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    You can have the cape and speedos. Tag.
    Hmmmmm., "speedos"...... reckon you might be an Aussie there mate!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  15. #15
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Hmmmmm., "speedos"...... reckon you might be an Aussie there mate!!
    Definitely not!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    My nomad is being used for marathon xc races 50-100km and evening shorter xc races, 08 Lg with rp23
    Fox 32 Talas 150mm QR15

    hope pro2 with dt 5.1
    Maxxis 500g per tyre (cant remeber name)
    Xt cranks
    XO shifters/deralier
    Carbon post and bars et....

    Should get it around 13.2kg????

    Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated!
    Re. Fox 32 Talas 150mm QR15, Im thinking of getting one of these for my BLT2 but initially I will be running it on my Nomad Mk2. Also just for kicks I will probably run my Crossmax ST wheelset with 2.1 Maxxis ADvantage tyres. Im currently out of action for down hilling due to a shoulder injury so its a good time to play with the spec of my bikes. When I was waiting for my Nomad I had the BLT2 set up with a burly build (36 Vans, short AM stem ect) and really liked it but a Nomad dressed for XC sounds kind of nuts but fun.

    Just a last thought, Im wondering if the BB will end up a bit low using the 32 150 fork???

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,385
    I have to agree with some of the others keep what you have and just run a set of light wheels n tubless tyres 2.1's and 160mm discs, no power to slow you down so you go faster

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote:





    Originally Posted by scruffylooking


    You can have the cape and speedos. Tag

    Quote Originally Posted by Red PeeKay
    Hmmmmm., "speedos"...... reckon you might be an Aussie there mate!!
    Says OC on Scruffy's profile, maybe Orange County So-Cal???

  19. #19
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Yep, OC = Orange County, CA.

    Ooh, cape & speedos...

  20. #20
    Au'Right!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    396
    I would reccomend a Float over the TALAS for a Nomad. The resale is better for a Nomad but the geometry is really spot on with 160mm fork. You'll very likely never touch the Travel adjust. And it will save you a little $.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

  21. #21
    ...
    Reputation: Porchsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    605

    Generation 1

    I've got an original Nomad set up with a DUC32. I'm no racer but it's been around the rocks a few times during several 24hrs of Moab "races / parties". With the correct build a Nomad can be super fun for 24hrs or Enduro / aggressive events. Lets face it. most of us are not pros, or even close to our physical potential. Get out and ride when you can, bleed a little, smile & tip a cold beer.

    Go for it, you'll have fun.

    Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Yep, OC = Orange County, CA.

    Ooh, cape & speedos...
    Yep, us Ozzies love wearing our "capes and speedos" when ever possible. If you dont believe me just check out the spectators next time you watch an australian cricket match or footy (rugby or Australian rules football) on satellite TV.

    You dont watch cricket or footy??? Well neither do I. I would rather be out riding my bike.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tboned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    156
    When I originally put the together my nomad it was an xc build. mavic 717s, 2.1 tires, dhx air, and float 36. It rode nice and weighed 29.5lbs. Since then I moved to 2.4 mountain kings and a dhx coil and it rides 10 times better, climbs so much easier with the coil. I really haven't noticed a weight penalty and actually feel faster with the better response from the bike b/c of the tires and coil. Like some of said take the weight off the wheels that will make the biggest difference. Here is a pic of the original xc build:
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    How much lighter can my wheels go?

    They are hope pro 2 hubs and DT 5.1 32 hole.
    As for tyres the maxxis????

    I originally had float 36's but they felt a bit long on my local XC trail/races, just couldn't get them dialed and only getting 140mm travel. Thats why I thought 32 talas 150mm

    I might just have to 'Harden the f&*K up'!!!

    And down under we call 'speedo's', Budgie Smuglers....

  25. #25
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    Yep, us Ozzies love wearing our "capes and speedos" when ever possible. If you dont believe me just check out the spectators next time you watch an australian cricket match or footy (rugby or Australian rules football) on satellite TV.

    You dont watch cricket or footy??? Well neither do I. I would rather be out riding my bike.
    Oh wow. I had no idea. I should move. Haha.

    As for biketavious... 5.1ds are pretty solid all mountain rims. You could go 4.2d or 4.1d and some light rubber. It adds up and a couple hundred grams at the outer diameter of the wheels makes a big difference.

    That said, honestly, it sounds like maybe you have too much bike in the Nomad.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Oh wow. I had no idea. I should move. Haha.


    That said, honestly, it sounds like maybe you have too much bike in the Nomad.
    Yeah, its horses for courses and for the kind of money your thinking of spending you could just buy an XC hardtail, maybe a nice little chrome moly frame like Im getting soon.

    Re.Scruffy moving to Oz, we (the peoples of Oz) would probably be interested in letting you emigrate to Australia but you need to do something to show you are made of the "right stuff"...

    ... Can you please post a a picture of yourself wearing speedos and cape

  27. #27
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    Yeah, its horses for courses and for the kind of money your thinking of spending you could just buy an XC hardtail, maybe a nice little chrome moly frame like Im getting soon.

    Re.Scruffy moving to Oz, we (the peoples of Oz) would probably be interested in letting you emigrate to Australia but you need to do something to show you are made of the "right stuff"...

    ... Can you please post a a picture of yourself wearing speedos and cape
    1. I'm thinking about a nice steal hardtail, too. Transition TransAm, Dialled Bikes Alpine, On-One 456 Summer Season, Chromag Samurai... so many great choices out there. What are you thinking about getting?

    2. I'm thoroughly disturbed by your request.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    Seems to me that if you did XC races from time to time that you could run some super light weight stuff with all that squish to cushion the impact on light stuff. Here is what I'd do:

    6" rotors on uber light weight wheels.
    The bb is pretty high, so a slightly shorter air sprung shock and the 150mm talas QR15 fork
    XTR and/or X-0 everything
    light and narrow carbon bars

    You can change out the fork, air shock, bars, and wheels/brake adaptors in about 10 minutes the night before the race.

    The rest of the time, run carbon DH bars, 8" rotors on heavier duty wheels/tires, a coil shock, and a Float 36.

    Easy, and way cheaper than 2 bikes.
    "It looks flexy"

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    1. I'm thinking about a nice steal hardtail, too. Transition TransAm, Dialled Bikes Alpine, On-One 456 Summer Season, Chromag Samurai... so many great choices out there. What are you thinking about getting?

    2. I'm thoroughly disturbed by your request.
    Ive only just started looking for a steel hardtail so thanks for a few promising leads. I may not be able to get any of these bikes locally except for maybe the Transition TransAm but I can definitely get an Orange P7 . Its got the right geometry but is over priced for a fairly "plain Jane" frame. Any more clues???

    Re. dress ups, I forgot to mention that you also need to be wearing thongs Thats the feet kind not the other kind of thong

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    ...
    ...uber light weight wheels.The bb is pretty high, so a slightly shorter air sprung shock and the 150mm talas QR15 fork
    XTR and/or X-0 everything
    light and narrow carbon bars...


    ...Easy, and way cheaper than 2 bikes.
    uber light weight wheels +150 Talas + custom air shock + XTR/XO everything + carbon bars = about two pretty good production hardtails or one good big brand 120mm travel XC bike. Save a bit extra and buy a BLT2.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by other aardvark; 02-27-2009 at 04:08 AM.

  31. #31
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    Ive only just started looking for a steel hardtail so thanks for a few promising leads. I may not be able to get any of these bikes locally except for maybe the Transition TransAm but I can definitely get an Orange P7 . Its got the right geometry but is over priced for a fairly "plain Jane" frame. Any more clues???

    Re. dress ups, I forgot to mention that you also need to be wearing thongs Thats the feet kind not the other kind of thong
    I think Sinister makes a nice one. Evil Sovereign. Cotic BFe. Or custom...

    I prefer to call my footwear "flip flops" as "thongs" just invite too much confusion. And that's already a part of my daily footwear rotation here in So Cal.

    Oh, and sorry for the total threadjack here.

    Back on topic: I say buy a nice affordable hardtail and sell a couch to make space.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    I think Sinister makes a nice one. Evil Sovereign. Cotic BFe. Or custom...

    I prefer to call my footwear "flip flops" as "thongs" just invite too much confusion. And that's already a part of my daily footwear rotation here in So Cal.

    Oh, and sorry for the total threadjack here.

    Back on topic: I say buy a nice affordable hardtail and sell a couch to make space.
    Yeah, back on track, I probably will be running a Talas 150 and my Crossmax ST wheels on my Nomad Mk2 in a few weeks time so I will post a ride report here.

    Re. 160 brakes, I cant see a its going to make bugger all differance to your bikes weight and acceleration and what do you want to be mucking around with your brakes at 11pm the night before a race. Trust me as Ive been there.

    I know some people just have to ride their bike everywhere whether it be to the shops for milk or over a mountain range. thats because their bike is "the bike". I see guys who commute to work on down-hill bikes so whats practical is not important.

    RE, "FLIP FLOPS", that name would never catch on in Oz. i have never had any confusion personally with "thongs". When I say "I chucked a "thong" at that bloody noisy cat next door" its pretty clear what Im on about. Saying that 'I chucked my flip flop at .." just sounds wrong.

    Maybe if I said "lets wear our "thongs" down the beach" there may be some confusion but it would be a given that we would be wearing our "flip flops " anyway so every one would realize I meant I wanted to be wearing my rather sparse swimwear.

    Ps even im disturbed by where this is going

  33. #33
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark

    Maybe if I said "lets wear our "thongs" down the beach" there may be some confusion but its would be a given that we would be wearing our "flip flops " anyway so every one would realize I meant I wanted to be wearing my rather sparse swimwear.

    Ps even i am diturbed by where this is going
    It'd be really awkward if your friends understood you to mean "wear sandals" and you showed up in your extra special swimwear.

    Wait, what was this thread about again?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    It'd be really awkward if your friends understood you to mean "wear sandals" and you showed up in your extra special swimwear.

    Wait, what was this thread about again?

    Only if I was wearing socks with my "thongs"...





    ps thanks for steel hardtail sugestions, I will check em out

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,540
    I'll put my few cents.

    Used DHAir can be swapped for slightly used RP23 with no issues (hey I even have RP23 spare laying around) and zero money. If you DHAir is '08 you may even save some. $250 for DHAir vs $200 for RP23

    Lyric vs. Talas 32 150 is another wash sale (for some reason Lyrics are overpriced) as long as you accept that AC on 150 would be same as Lyric/36 in 140 setting. Personaly I would go for Nixxon 160 for all around geometry with wight in mind.

    Wheels, 5.1s are anchors. Set of ST's is great all around deal and may hold for some abuse. However the flexibility of Hopes is hard to beat so it's tough call.

    The tires are easiest out of all of this and you don't need to go for 2.1 to save weight. Set of Conti Race Kings 2.2 SuperSonic (only this version uses Black Chili rubber) would put you at 480g per tire and its a really big tire (as big as Maxxis 2.3s). Their only weak spot is if you ride in sharp rocks areas.

    If I had only one bike that would be the route and I actually started this transformation on my Nomad back in fall. But since I have full DH bike, Nomad was just to close to it so I sold Nomad and got Mojo frame instead (hence that's how I ended up with RP23 spare)
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,620
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    uber light weight wheels +150 Talas + custom air shock + XTR/XO everything + carbon bars = about two pretty good production hardtails or one good big brand 120mm travel XC bike. Save a bit extra and buy a BLT2.
    I thought he wanted to keep his existing bike and 'has too many bikes now'?
    "It looks flexy"

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalk
    I'll put my few cents.

    Used DHAir can be swapped for slightly used RP23 with no issues (hey I even have RP23 spare laying around) and zero money. If you DHAir is '08 you may even save some. $250 for DHAir vs $200 for RP23

    Lyric vs. Talas 32 150 is another wash sale (for some reason Lyrics are overpriced) as long as you accept that AC on 150 would be same as Lyric/36 in 140 setting. Personaly I would go for Nixxon 160 for all around geometry with wight in mind.

    Wheels, 5.1s are anchors. Set of ST's is great all around deal and may hold for some abuse. However the flexibility of Hopes is hard to beat so it's tough call.
    Hey Stalk, (Check your pm)

    Thanks for your input, So a 150mm 32 Talas has the same a2c as a lyrik at 140mm.... I can live with that.

    I really don't know much about manitou, what does a 160mm weigh and how does the adjustment work? Also what are ST rims??



    SOoooooo many questions!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I thought he wanted to keep his existing bike and 'has too many bikes now'?
    Yeah I curently have a

    commuter merida hardtail
    Giant Road bike
    2.5m long, homemade chopper
    wifes nrs giant
    Sons 20' mongoose rockadile
    Daughters 16' barbie bike
    and Nomad which is my 'one' bike.

    I realise I should probably sell the Nomad, but it pedals so bloody well!! I would swap it for a GT Carbon Force......(Thats another whole thread unto itself!)

  39. #39
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    Can you make the Merida commuter into a race bike for cheap? And I know this is just my humble worthless opinion and I don't get a vote, but I say, "HECK NO" to the GT Carbon Force/Nomad swap.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Can you make the Merida commuter into a race bike for cheap? And I know this is just my humble worthless opinion and I don't get a vote, but I say, "HECK NO" to the GT Carbon Force/Nomad swap.
    I probably could as merida has duke sl's et.. but 50-100km on a hardtail.....no thanks! Plus the merids has a slick and a pannier rack et....

    Looking at the ibis Mojo, Gt Carbon Force and various other light weight long travel bikes, I thought why not with the Nomad?

  41. #41
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    I can't speak for the Force as I haven't ridden it but I can for the Mojo. Completely different bikes in my opinion. The Mojo may have five inches of travel but it feels like a twitchy xc bike to me (w/ 140mm Fox Float on the front). The Nomad feels nothing like an xc bike to me. That said, I think it might be more what you're after. It was a fine ride. Climbed like a goat on crack and actually descended decently for a bike that made me feel like I was about to endo all the time.

    I don't think I'd want to do 100KM on a Nomad, either.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Well suck me dry and call me dusty...

    I have a set of juicy ultimates and FSA k Force cranks to go on. Cant decide about the talas 32 150mm or not???????

    Unless of course anyone wants to swap a blt2??

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    uber light weight wheels +150 Talas + custom air shock + XTR/XO everything + carbon bars = about two pretty good production hardtails or one good big brand 120mm travel XC bike. Save a bit extra and buy a BLT2.
    Where did you get your BLT 2 from?? Are those 150mm Talas Standard in dark colour?

    Would you like an 08 Nomad with 08 lyrik Coil for your BLT2 and Talas? (can only ask I guessed?)

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    Where did you get your BLT 2 from?? Are those 150mm Talas Standard in dark colour?

    Would you like an 08 Nomad with 08 lyrik Coil for your BLT2 and Talas? (can only ask I guessed?)
    Hi mate
    thats a great bigNO re. swapping.
    Last edited by other aardvark; 03-04-2009 at 05:03 AM.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    Where did you get your BLT 2 from?? Are those 150mm Talas Standard in dark colour?

    W
    At the time this pic was taken I was running 160 travel 36 Tallas on my BLT2 . While I was waiting for the Nomad Mk2 to arrive my Blur was set up to handle just about everything. I now have a 32 Talas on it but will be swapping it for a 15 QR 150 Talas soonish. As I said before I am wanting to try the 150 on my Nomad first just to for the sake of diversity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    I now have a 32 Talas on it but will be swapping it for a 15 QR 150 Talas soonish. As I said before I am wanting to try the 150 on my Nomad first just to for the sake of diversity.
    Isnt a 15 qr 150 talas 32mm?? Are wanting to try a 32 talas 150 on the Nomad or an older 36 talas 150???

  47. #47
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I thought he wanted to keep his existing bike and 'has too many bikes now'?
    Oh come on......... one can NEVER have too many bikes!!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    Isnt a 15 qr 150 talas 32mm?? Are wanting to try a 32 talas 150 on the Nomad or an older 36 talas 150???
    The new 32 150 Talas is what I mean. I have tried my Blur with a heavy duty build so now Im trying out a light weight thing on the Nomad. Its not a big job swapping forks complete with brakes and front wheel. As of this saturday all my wheels will be cross compatible between my bikes so so I can pop on whatever wheelset takes my fancy' on which ever bike. I have light XC Crossmax ST, all mountain SX and cheep but very heavy DH wheels.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by other aardvark
    The new 32 150 Talas is what I mean. I have tried my Blur with a heavy duty build so now Im trying out a light weight thing on the Nomad. Its not a big job swapping forks complete with brakes and front wheel. As of this saturday all my wheels will be cross compatible between my bikes so so I can pop on whatever wheelset takes my fancy' on which ever bike. I have light XC Crossmax ST, all mountain SX and cheep but very heavy DH wheels.
    I'd love to know how the Nomad feels with the 32 Talas???? Shoot me a picture if you do it? pclanham@bigpond.com

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: other aardvark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by biketavioumaximus
    I'd love to know how the Nomad feels with the 32 Talas???? Shoot me a picture if you do it? pclanham@bigpond.com
    It might be awhile as included on the laybuy is my new bike, a Transition Trans Am
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •