COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

08 Chameleon fork/travel choice

I have a Chameleon frame on the way and I plan on selling my P2 bike to help finance the new build. I got a sweet deal, never built frame for $450. shipped. I will be using as an all purpose bike. From riding it to work, to some trail riding, to a little playing around on jumps.

I'm looking at keeping the cost down, so I'm looking fro a used fork or a deal on a new fork. I want to keep my options open from 130mm to 150mm, but I don't want to throw off the geometry too much for what I'm using it for. Not sure I want to go 150mm or more travel or keep it down around 130mm.

I want a thru axle and I'm looking at used Pikes or Marz Z1 and new Nixon Super Intrinsic.

What travel do all you 08 Chameleon riders recommend for my intended use?

Thanks
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A fork with adjustable travel from 100 to 140 mm such as :
    Rock Shock Pike or the new Magura Thor.
    100 mm to climb and 140 to downhill.
    I actually have a Marzo all mountain 07 with 140mm, but i'll go for the Magura Thor next year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've been running a Pike coil 140 on my 08 Chameleon, and its been great, just swopped the Lyric of my Heckler to try it at 160 , it looks insane :-) should be fun on the down hill

mtbr member
    I've got a Marz Z1 Light with two coils on mine (130mm -150mm adj) and I just run mine at 140 all the time, works great as a height for an all around bike.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

3D guy
    I have a 100-140 TALAS and use 120 mm almost all the time. Going to 100 mm on the climbs does not give me anything I need and going to 140 on the downhill is still just a nice to have for me. I was religiously using 100 climb, 120 trail, 140 downhill for a long while then decide to try just 120 and I like it a lot.

Notes:
    - This is on a single speed and like standing with 120 mm front end setting, if you are seated on all climbs it might be a different story
    - I am not big on slack bikes more of an XC/trail balanced bike kind of person, so you may love 140 on the front.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road

Thanks for all the replies guy. My P2 sold already. I want to hold out for a Pike dual air u-turn, but they can be pricey.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey, I installed a 2008 FOX 140 mm. it's just perfect !

Manitou Nixon Super 145 Air

What do you guy think about the Manitou Nixon Super Intrinsic air 145mm. Axle to crown is right around the other 130mm (marz) - 140mm (pike ,forx) forks. Air preload, bottom out and rebound adjustable.

It can be had for around $300. new and that would save me $130. for the other parts to complete my build (seat,post cogs).

I ened up getting a Sherman Firefly 130mm with TPC+ and what I beleive is a TI spring in really good shape for $150. shipped.

With the lower A2C height (492mm) should put the head angle around 69* for more of a quicker steering street ride like I wanted, but not to steep for some FR ability.

I will post pic later this week, I'm waiting for a headset to come in at the shop. It should be a pretty decent budget build (out of pocket cost $775.) with all the left over parts I had laying around.

A few pics.

Here are a two pictures of the bike. Not sure what the head angle is, but it's steeper than what I'm used to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spacoli; 09-15-2008 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey Spacolli,
    Is that a size large frame? Looks good...

Quote Originally Posted by bee-man
    Hey Spacolli,
    Is that a size large frame? Looks good...
    Thanks, Yes it's a large.