mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Which '07 SC for Whistler?

I apologize in advance for the rambling post...

My wife is going to strangle me the next time I stick our kid in front of the TV so I can drool over pics of the new '07 Heckler and Bullit on the web, so I figure I might as well buy one! Besides Whistler most of my riding involves long fire road climbs with long, rough descents. I am willing to give up some of the DH performance of my 40+ pound Stinky for something a bit lighter that can climb better. I think a new Heckler or Bullit would be sweet on Freight Train and A-line.

I am leaning toward the new Heckler, but it seems that the '07 is a little less burly than the previous generation. The largest drops on GLC or Joyride Jump park are good examples of how big I will usually go (yeah, I know this isn't big for freeriding, but I am old and have no skills!). The new Bullit seems like it might be overkill for what I need, but I have heard that they can climb well when built relatively light. According to SC's website either bike could be built in the low 30lb range with coil Lyrik and X9 AM kit (although the posted weights seem too light to be true)

Trail testing both would be ideal, but no LBS has one available. I can't remember if there are any SC rentals available in or near Whistler (it seems most rentals are CDN bikes) - any input would be great. I think the Nomad might be ideal, but I really prefer the simplicity and reliability of the single-pivots. Any .02 cents appreciated...

mtbr member

go with the bullit

For Whistler and for rough descents I know that the bullit is a better choice. After watching my buddy get bounced around on his heckler at Whistler, a little more weight isn't a bad thing. For climbing, either bike is a good choice, but as long as you are careful about the setup the bullit can climb like a goat.

My 2 cents says go with the bullit.

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh-sometimes a riders weight will tip the scales in one direction or another; heavy rider= heavy bike; end of story. Where do you live; let me know if you're up there in the Pacific Northwest, there's a lot of Santa Cruz riders up here. I'd email or call some of the shops in Whistler if I were you; ask them if they can hook you up with VP Free or a Bullit.

The VP Free is going to give you more beef and it pedals better than a Bullit; the VPP design is awesome; problem is you'll have to wait till 08 unless you buy one used. If you're used to pedaling a 40lb Kona, you'll be a happy camper on a VPP bike; the V-10's are pretty nice too. If I could afford a big bike, I'd get one with VPP suspension; they pedal really well. If I had to settle for a non-VPP design, the Bullit would be second choice. There's no way I'd take a Heckler to Whistler; you owe it to your family to ride with a bigger bike; especially so for us older riders. Good luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I own a last-gen Heckler and '06 light (33 lb.) Free. I can't imagine anywhere I'd choose the Heckler, which weighs about the same. I did a 4 hour ride on it this w/e with lots of steep climbing. It goes up as well as the Huckler and kills it on the downs.

I can't wait to get it up to Whistler.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I live in the NW - you are right about there being a lot of SC owners up here. I only weigh 175lbs, so that shouldn't be an issue. I really dig the Nomad and think it would be a good choice, my only concern being all of the pivots and maintenence ( a super light VP free or Uzzi VPX would also be sweet, but with the same concerns ). Maybe I should try to stop talking myself out of a VPP bike and just get one and deal with the theoretical maintence concerns. thanks for your .02 cents

Older & Slower
    May 2006

Go with the Bullit...

I went to Whistler 4 years ago with an old Bullit (Vanilla RC and a Vanilla 125 R). I currently ride a new Heckler.5 (2007). The new Heckler and old Bullit are very similar. I wish I had more bike when I was riding Whistler.

I'm just guessing, but the new Bullit seams perfect for Whistler. Seven inches at both ends...long travel single crown fork...ability to run a single or double chainguide...the simplicity and durability of a single pivot frame...

The review of the new Bullit in Mountain Bike Action claims their medium test bike weighed 34 pounds. A bike that should be able to handle everything you want to do at Whistler and still be pedaled uphill...sounds good to me.

Members who have read this thread: 0