mtbr member
    Sep 2007

07 Heckler to 09 Nomad is it going to be a good upgrade?

Hi Guys,

Thinking of changing my 07 Heckler for a new Nomad at the end of the year, do you think this will be a good move, I've loved riding my Heckler its been awsome, will the Nomad be even better ??
    I would just buy a frame and swop my parts over 08 Lyric U turn and 08 Push'd DHX-5 and wheels etc....I would like improved traction and handling and if possible better climbing

has anyone had a ride of the new Nomad yet?

cheers

Jeff

mtbr member
    look at the pic of mark weir in the '2009 nomad here' thread. That should answer your question about being fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Has ayone changed from Heckler to Nomad, was it a huge improvement? will I be blown away by the difference?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Think it depends on what you'll be using the bike for. Terrain? Aggressiveness? Style of riding?

In general, I the Nomad is considered the Heckler's VPP big brother, so if you like the Heckler and want a bigger bike and some improved pedalling, then yes it will be better for you.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffus
    Has ayone changed from Heckler to Nomad, was it a huge improvement? will I be blown away by the difference?
    I was a Heckler ('04) rider for over 3 1/2 years and have just built up an '08 Nomad. I have had it out on about 10 rides (4 longer and 6 shorter ones). My Nomad is built up almost the same as my Heckler including having a Cane Creek Double Barrel and most of the components from it. I made a few changes including a new wheelset, bar/stem and saddle and it weighs almost the exactly same as my Heckler. I think my comparison is pretty valid.

I will list a few traits about the Nomad that I think are indeed superior to the Heckler. 1. The rear is much stiffer and it has a very solid/planted feel pedaling in or out of the saddle. 2. Pedaling anyway you like feels the same; the tiny amount of suspension movement remains the same and is not bothersome. 3. Climbing feels like you just scoot right up the trail without feeling like you are diggin in or trying to find that sweet spot for traction. 4. VPP suspension to me feels like you are on a magic carpet ride. It has a cool other-worldly feel to it like you can just float over everthing; you do. No harshness, ever. 5. Heres where it gets really cool...descending you feel like you are on a big DH bike that handles better; like a freight train that can turn on a dime. As big and burly as the bike is (mines 35.5 lbs) it is very nimble and balanced in the air.

Now I never felt out-gunned aboard my Heckler and I think the Hecklers handling is just as good. The only time I ever felt like I wanted more bike was doing some of the really long super gnarly descents in Switzerland where a bigger more laid back bike would have left me not as beat up. The VPP suspension is the best I have ever tried (I have tried them all) and specifically improves the descending and climbing feel over the Heckler's single-pivot. Then again the Heckler is so damn good its hard to find fault with it. The Nomad does turn it up a notch. Mother-truckin' Hellbelly says "Hell yeah!"
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks guys for the input, I'm only thnking of the change because I've been away in the Alps for two weeks and for the first time the Heckler seemed pushed to its limits and a few times I felt like I needed more bike,, I was riding some fantastic single track in the swiss part just over the border from France, it was so gnarly and technical , never come across the same in the UK, the Heckler was really soaking most of it up and was in its ellement, and I thought about a Nomad , would it be better? went down a black down hill by mistake , used all my travel and could hear the forks bottoming out and my wheels pinging , it was great fun , scared me good , probably in the Uk the Heckler is more than I need , but I would love to go back and ride the Alps again