mtbr member
    Dec 2009

02/03 bullit fork options

Hi all,

I'm currently riding a 02/03 bullit, actually not too sure which is it, can anyone tell me if there are any vast differences between the 2 year's bullits?

anyway, im currently running a DSP dueler 8.75x2.5 shock and 36 van 160. i was thinking of increasing the front travel and wonder how much more i can go with the travel? 180-200mm?

thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    You can run whatever you want.
    Bullits of that vintage are commonly scene with dual crowns and single crown 180s.
    a 180 single crown will allow you to get the most out of the bike on both the up and the down.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Is your Bullit the late '02 and more commonly referred to as an '03 with the headtube gusset? If it is, you can run just about any fork with a reasonable degree of durability. Many...including me...even ran the older model...no gusset...with a dual crown fork with no issue. I ran a Monster T on my '03...gusset model...with great results and currently run an '06 66SL Marz 170mm fork for a lighter setup. The adjustable shuttle allows an amazing range of shocks and forks to be run on a Bullit. I've run forks as short as 130mm and as big as the Monster T while running rear shocks from 7.5 X 2.0 to 8.75 X 2.75. You just need to find the balance of headangle and travel that suits you best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    hmmm tt being said... it means i can actually run a 200mm fork on wat i assume to be ~160mm rear travel based on my shock measurement, without getting that weird unbalanced feel that some bikes get from running too much travel? that is, provided i set up my fork properly to match the rear right?

im not sure whether it has the gusset... bike currently sent for servicing, but it has a slightly kinked seat-tube if that helps to ID the year...

mtbr member
    Matching the rear isn't necessary - seen plenty of bikes rawk with either longer front or rear travel. The big thing is what does it do to the geometry when you rake her out? Bullits are best paired with Totems or Domains if you ask me - 180mm beefy single crown that can take all the abuse you can dish out and then some.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    ok! thanks for all the advice! time to go searching for cheap forks to test out the difference...