mtbr member

Yet ANOTHER cracked Dos Niner

I just bought it on Saturday and while cleaning and doing some final assembly, I found two cracks in the welds that hold the shock braket to the seat post. I'm super bummed, but the owner is a local bike mechanic and gave me a full refund. What a great guy!

Heres my shortlived but beloved Dos.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet ANOTHER cracked Dos Niner-gosmsphoto1381069639090.jpg  

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Seems repairable if you know a good welder. It's a nice looking bike.
    I wish they continued the development because short-travel 29ers are ideal for me - I just need 1" of cush, then happy to provide body suspension. Maybe someday it'll come back.
    M

mtbr member
    Cracks are tricky. You have to get ride of the whole crack, then fill the void with a really good weld. in doing all of this, your putting a lot of heat into the alloy, thus expanding and contracting the frame. All of this is not good and actually weakens the area, making it more subseptable to failure.

mtbr member
    I can buy the bike back, as is, for $200. Should I do it and I wonder how long it will last under my 220lbs frame?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

No. You can't ride that. It may suddenly completely fail at any time, especially since the cracks are old - some corrosion has likely taken place, and in the weld which is brittle. If you buy it back, then get it repaired.
    It's interesting that the cracks are on top, where prevailing stress would be compression, but somehow tensile stresses are created.
    M

mtbr member
    Frame guy at lbs said 300 to fix it. Owner now wants 200, with all the new parts still installed. Won't give me a price for bare frame. I think I'll pass......

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Still mentioning cracked Dos Niners, wth? Go the other way with this and lets hear from people who have ridden their Dos Niner and it is NOT cracked. Will make for a more meaningful discussion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wait - guy will take $200 for the bike as it appears in the pics above? Hell - that's a steal just for the parts.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Damn DB, thats a bummer, but exactly where I told you to check. And no, don't have it fixed, aluminum just doesn't repair well. Anyway Dambala, I've broke and cracked two now, so we still need to hear from any owners with living Dos9ers to start our meaningful discussion.