Thread: XX1 Dos Niner

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

XX1 Dos Niner

Just built up my Dos with an XX1 kit! I've had the frame for several years, and it is my favorite frame I've ever owned. It was my main ride for about a year, but it has been hanging on my wall for the past 2 years (unacceptable, I know.) It was time to give it some love, and the XX1 kit was perfect for this frame and my riding intentions.

The build...

Dos Niner frame
    White Brothers Loop
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    DT Swiss 240s hubs laced to Stans Arch rims
    Kenda Slant Six tires, tubless
    XX1 drivetrain
    Hope Stainless Bottom Bracket
    XX World Cup Brakes
    Thomson post and stem
    WTB Shadow V saddle
    Truvative Noir Bars
    XTR pedals
    ODI Silicon Grips
    Red Bell Pepper Bell
    Ti Bolts throughout

Weight with pedals, and bottle cage
    23lbs 7ozs

So hows it ride? Thats where it gets interesting. The build went great, and relatively uneventful. Dialing in the shifting was a bit tedious, but I got it done with a little patience in the stand. Get to the trailhead this morning, do my final adjustments to the cockpit, tire pressure, fork pressure etc. As I am riding around the TH parking lot shifting through the gears disaster struck. As I was shifting into the pie plate that is the 42 tooth ring, something inside the shifter snapped. Now there is no shifting whatsoever. I spent a few furious minutes trying to diagnose the problem to no avail. At this point I am fuming, but I refuse to let this ruin my ride. I put the chain on the 21 tooth cog, fixed the der. in place, and off I went on my very expensive single speed.

After all that, I had a great ride. I rode lots of ups and downs on very rough and technical terrain. The chain control is simply amazing, although I wasn't doing any shifting to really test. It was great to not hear all the chatter of the chain slapping around. I reminded me of why I love single speeding. I can't wait to get this shifter replaced, and give it a ride the way it was meant to be ridden.

A few lousy pre-ride phone pics...
    XX1 Dos Niner-1209121058.jpg

XX1 Dos Niner-1209121059.jpg

XX1 Dos Niner-1209121058a.jpg

Sup
    Sorry about your shifter
    I always thought that was a sharp frame
    Nice build

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Birthday Collector
    It may be just the spring and pawl mechanism that controls the shifter, or the cable was not inserted correctly when it was assembled at the factory - I have seen them pop out on new X0 and X9 shifters. If the XX1 is the same design, it is possible that your LBS may be able to pop the pieces back into place. Hopefully nothing is broken, but I would bet that SRAM will get this replaced asap on their new flagship MTB system if something is busted. Bummer, but nice kit!
    Last edited by ATBScott; 12-10-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    I've always had a crush on that orange Dos frame.......still do.

mtbr member
    Let us know how it goes with the shifter and another review after a few more rides please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    SRAM came through as I expected. They are overnighting a new shifter. Can't wait to get some ride time. I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Beautiful Dos Niner. I love to see newer parts on an older chassis. How is that XX1 holding up so far?
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    Beautiful Dos Niner. I love to see newer parts on an older chassis. How is that XX1 holding up so far?
    Thanks, got the shifter from SRAM right away, and installed it yesterday. Unfortunately it was raining the last couple days, so I missed my opportunity to ride this weekend. I should be able to get out on Tuesday for a quick ride. I'll post back.