Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wood chipper

fux
    Scooterist

Wood chipper

Are these things out yet? I`m looking to try some on my laCruz.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by fux
    Are these things out yet? I`m looking to try some on my laCruz.
    Not out yet but they are in production. We are hoping December 09. Here is a link to a blog entry on the Woodchipper's on the Salsa Amigo's blog. I will be following up with set up and delivery once we have a confirmed shipping date.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

fux
    Scooterist
    hmm, that was unexpectedly personal. Streight from the horses mouth.

Well, at least I know what to ask for, for christmas

Thanks Jason
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

Self-defeatist
    Hmmm. I know I'm opening a can of worm when I ask about measurements, but...

Where are the measurements of 42 and 46 cm taken? It looks like the hooks (where the brakes are mounted) are actually narrower than the tops, then flare out to the ends. Does that mean the tops are 46-50cm?

I know it's not an entirely accurate assessment of usability, but how wide are these bars at the tips?

TIA.

I'm very excited about the prospect of these bars having recently declared my WTB's unsuitable for my MTB (too much reach/drop).
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member

I'll get the skinny

Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    Hmmm. I know I'm opening a can of worm when I ask about measurements, but...

Where are the measurements of 42 and 46 cm taken? It looks like the hooks (where the brakes are mounted) are actually narrower than the tops, then flare out to the ends. Does that mean the tops are 46-50cm?

I know it's not an entirely accurate assessment of usability, but how wide are these bars at the tips?

TIA.

I'm very excited about the prospect of these bars having recently declared my WTB's unsuitable for my MTB (too much reach/drop).
    I'll grab a couple of bars later today and do the physical measurements and repost.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member

How are Woodchippers measured?

This is a great question...One of which requires a little explanation.

First, the Woodchippers are measured center to center at th widest part of the forward bend. We are making these in both a 42 and a 46.

Second, the way the bar is bent, it appears that there is a small bend inward where you attach the levers. This is minimal, as in a couple of mm's, but it does have a slight inward bend.

Third, the flat section after the drop is long. This is intentional as in our opinion, the current bars are not long enough. You can cut to fit if you wish. At the very widest point (outside to outside) the 46cm bar I have in my hands measures 645mm, or just shy of 26inches. Remember, if you use bar ends, it will add even more width.

Hope this helps.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

Self-defeatist
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Holy cow I like the sounds of this bar.

The widest point of the drop is a great spot for open cruising when you don't need to cover the brakes, but I usually put my hands up in the hooks for technical riding...so I guess that's an 80mm reach on these bars.

I gotta say, I appreciate the long flat section (top and bottom) and lack of ergonomic gadgetry. I guess I wont cut my steerer after all.

How do I find Salsa parts in Canada? I only see dealers listed on the website.
    I'm covered in beer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Holy cow I like the sounds of this bar.

The widest point of the drop is a great spot for open cruising when you don't need to cover the brakes, but I usually put my hands up in the hooks for technical riding...so I guess that's an 80mm reach on these bars.

I gotta say, I appreciate the long flat section (top and bottom) and lack of ergonomic gadgetry. I guess I wont cut my steerer after all.

The drops are very long, much longer than any dropbar I have seen, so that tip-to-tip width can be misleading. But nobody is ever going to complain about not having enough room.

The "official" width at the forward most point really does make sense functionally with a flared bar and is also used with the other Salsa dropbars.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What kind of riding are these bars capable of? Last night I snapped my offroad drop bars (manufacturer to remain unnamed for now) hopping down a loading dock on my rigid. I'd like to stick with drops but aluminum sort of gives me the willies now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm not asking for a guarantee, I just want to know if these are fairly beefy bars... carpal tunnel means straight bars mess my wrists up and it would be a shame if bar choice dictated my riding style.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypecans
    I'm not asking for a guarantee, I just want to know if these are fairly beefy bars... carpal tunnel means straight bars mess my wrists up and it would be a shame if bar choice dictated my riding style.
    these are listed under the mountain handlebars on their website. they are made for off road use. hope this helps.
    Drew
    __________________________________________________ __
    Rides in Minneapolis, MN.

No Woodchipper knowledge to share.

I have had some pretty thick walled dropbars sag severely over the years. Yet to have any break while riding, though I bent one or two in crashes.

I measure the width across the tips every couple of months. When it is 1cm narrower than new, I replace the bar.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was only riding my bars for about 8 months when they snapped; they're 6061 aluminum, so I guess a 7075 bar would be sturdier.

It doesn't look like Salsa plans to respond to my question- I'm sure they're worried about liability if they make any claims about durability. It would be nice if they came up with some kind of response, though... I'm certainly not inclined to buy any bars (or anything else for that matter) from them if they're not even going to dignify the question.

drew k.: Mine were rated for offroad use as well, although the manufacturer clarified it as "only light xc and cyclocross" when I described the breakage incident. They suggested I needed freeride risers...

Too busy looking good
    I just got a new Fargo (stock build), and I'm really enjoying it, however I have some tweaking to do regarding handlebar and stem setup before I'm 100% happy. The Woodchipper bar sound very interesting, but I'm confused about the reach dimension specified on the Salsa website. I've heard the Woodchipper described as having less reach and a shallower drop than the stock Moto Ace Bell Lap bar, which is exactly what I need, however the specs list the reach of the Bell Lap bar as 82 mm, and the Woodchipper as 110 mm. This makes me wonder:

1) How is reach measured for the Salsa bars? And are they measured the same for these two bars?

2) Are the specs correct, does the Woodchipper bar really have 3 cm more reach than the Bell Lap? That's a huge difference, I would expect the off-road oriented bar to have less reach to give a more upright position and make the drops more usable.

For comparison, the Junebug bar (http://www.somafab.com/bar_junebug.html) which Doug_ID uses (as mentioned in the eminent Fargo thread at The Salsa Fargo Thread, post #480) is listed as having a much shorter reach of 65 cm, however the Junebug and Woodchipper don't look radically different. Reach must be measured differently between these bars.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has to share!

Follow up:

I think the specs on the website (http://www.salsacycles.com/handlebars_mtn.html) are incorrect, the reach of the Woodchipper is listed here as 110 mm, but at http://www.salsacycles.com/amigos/la...odchipper.html it's described as 80 mm. If Jason (Salsa crew dude) is reading this, you might want to fix this inconsistency. Thanks, and assuming 80 mm is correct, I'm looking forward to trying the Woodchipper!
    http://www.salsacycles.com/amigos/la...odchipper.html

i heart singletrack
    They are 100-percent designed for off-road riding.

i heart singletrack
    I was only riding my bars for about 8 months when they snapped; they're 6061 aluminum, so I guess a 7075 bar would be sturdier.

It doesn't look like Salsa plans to respond to my question- I'm sure they're worried about liability if they make any claims about durability. It would be nice if they came up with some kind of response, though... I'm certainly not inclined to buy any bars (or anything else for that matter) from them if they're not even going to dignify the question.
    You will get a response... Don't worry. But if you require a more immediate response from Salsa, I'd recommend sending them a direct email. They are always very prompt with customer (or simply public) inquiries, based on my experience.

And I have to say that, if you were riding a bar rated for "cyclocross or light off-road use" and you broke it riding it on a mountain bike, you should have known. The Woodchipper is designed to be a mountain bike handlebar. That much I know. It is not a freeride part, but it is a XC mountain bike handlebar, and can take all of the riding and rigor that goes along with that type of riding. The prototype of the Woodchipper survived the Great Divide Route under Joe Meiser, the bar's designer, so I think that fact alone can stand on its own merit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The bend on the Wood Chipper looks very similar to a randonneur bar. Is that about right, or is there I difference I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    The bend on the Wood Chipper looks very similar to a randonneur bar. Is that about right, or is there I difference I am missing?
    It is very different. No up curve, it flares two ways, the reach curves in, much wider (even the narrower version. measured at the forward most point rather than the tips), and the drop section is very long. The reach and drop are much less on the WC.
    Wood chipper-hb1021.jpg

Wood chipper-hb8106.jpg
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Off Road Dirt Drop

The Woodchipper is an off road dirt drop bar. I'm with you, straight bars are not working for very well for me.

OH...And there is a misprint in the new Dirt Rag, Joe Meiser did not ride the Woodchipper in the Tour Divide, he used a Salsa Bell Lap bar.

Jason
    Salsa Crew
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    It is very different. No up curve, it flares two ways, the reach curves in, much wider (even the narrower version. measured at the forward most point rather than the tips), and the drop section is very long. The reach and drop are much less on the WC.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HB1021.jpg 
Views:	3520 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	500051

Name:	HB8106.jpg 
Views:	3623 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	500052
    Great pictures. Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

Name:	HB8106.jpg 
Views:	3623 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	500052

Dreeeewwllllll!

Trans Iowa bar, anyone?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Well DUh you find them at canadian dealers. I'd suggest phat moose cycles myself.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Dreeeewwllllll!

Trans Iowa bar, anyone?
    Yeah, no kidding. Any sort of fire roading, gravel, or light off roader running a road, cross, monstercross, or drop bar 29"er ought to give these a serious look.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Yeah, no kidding. Any sort of fire roading, gravel, or light off roader running a road, cross, monstercross, or drop bar 29"er ought to give these a serious look.
    A 46 is going on the Karate Monkey as soon as they get off the boat.

May 2009
    And on my Mariachi. QBP did not show them in stock as of today.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast