mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Widest tire on a Vaya with fenders?

Hello all,

My Schwalbe Marathon HS420 622-40 tires are finally wearing out. I'm looking to try a new tire that is more forgiving but will still let met keep rolling through glass and other flat inducing debris. I never had a single flat with the Marathons, but when I ride them unloaded they are a harsh ride. I've tried Vittoria Randoneur Hypers 622-38 and they felt great, but wore out in 2k miles... I was getting new flats every week towards the end. In comparison my Schwalbe's have 8k miles and are just starting to wear thin. The price-to-durability ratio heavily favors the Marathon's here.

Currently running SKS P50 fenders and I'm looking for a true-to-width 42mm tire. That seems to be the size Salsa says is the absolute max with fenders, so I'll take their wisdom here. Where I live there is a lot of sand, rain, sandspurs, and standard road debris (think FL) so fenders are a must and so is good wet weather traction. They will be mounted a Velocity Chukker rim (same width as Dyad).

Suggestions? These tires will be seeing concrete, brick, chipseal and pavement 98% of the time, with the occasional shortcut across gravel, sand, dirt and grass.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Marathon Supremes?

Not 40c, but I've been running Panaracter T-serv (Protex) for the last couple of years in 35c. They are awesome and quick on pavement and perform extremely well in dirt/gravel apart from the very loose stuff/sand.

I set them up tubeless a month ago on Stans ZTR Arch EX and they have performed even better. Super comfy ride @ 40psi without loss of speed.