Human Test Subject

Why isn't there a Marrakesh thread?

I don't have one, or really even want one, but I want to look at yours.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    agreed. I test rode one before I got my 2017 fargo and it was a very sweet bike. If I didnt want the more upright position of the fargo and it it could have taken a bigger tire than a 29x2.0 I would have been REALLY interested in it. My adventures just take me off the beaten path a bit too much for the Marrakesh. That being said it was the most stable feeling bike I have EVER ridden! and the really cool thing is that it didnt feel cumbersome either.
    2500 mile goal for 2016

1,381.6 miles ridden in 2015

1067.7 miles ridden in 2014

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    funny, i just started googling the marrakesh today. that, the disc trucker and a couple of others are slowly lapping around my head as i think about quitting the world and going bike-about. i'm obsessing, so it's bound to happen. this looks like a good way to go about it....
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yes start a thread. I just ordered the flat bar Marrakesh frameset. Will have it this Saturday. I plan to build with 700c wheels, jones loop bars, salla anatomica saddle, Axiom and tubus racks. I'll post pics for ya.

mtbr member
    Why isn't there a Marrakesh thread?-15403874_1332350273471245_4995276630752058683_o.jpg

The Marrakesh is an impressive bike that doesn't scream look at me! I got one a couple months back, but then I found a used Fargo for a great deal. I have a soft spot for the Fargo so the Marrakesh was put on hold. I thought of selling the Marrakesh but I havent really given it a chance yet. It is a very capable and comfortable bike, but so is the Fargo. Can I justify both? I'd love to see this Marrakesh built with down tube or bar end shifters and a 1 or 2x11

Also... it will clear 2.1 small block eights with ease...

Why isn't there a Marrakesh thread?-15356557_1332240136815592_1846093374619017566_n.jpgWhy isn't there a Marrakesh thread?-15326529_1332240240148915_6118705943807968673_n.jpg
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    My Marrakesh/rohloff build/velo orange:

Salsa Marrakesh by jon_baler, on Flickr

Salsa Marrakesh by jon_baler, on Flickr

Swift bag was awesome by jon_baler, on Flickr

Leaving Swan Island by jon_baler, on Flickr

Nice to ride empty by jon_baler, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm curious about your handlebars. They are close to what I want. How have they been for you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have started building my Marrakesh. The headset is installed, Cane Creek Forty EC44 bottom and ZS44 Top. TRP Spyre brakes are on the frame. Frame saver applied.

With this build I have had several setbacks, which has been unusual. When I ordered the frame, it was two weeks delayed by a major snow storm here in the PacNW.

Once I had the frame home I found that the incorrect cable guide had been installed on the bottom bracket. The one that was included caused the r.d. cable to rub against the kickstand plate. Salsa sent me the correct one which has 3 setscrew holes, not 2. Now the cable is a full 5 mm away from the kickstand plate.

Issue number 2; the shifter bosses on the downtube required a lot of cleaning and modifying just to properly mount the Shimano cable stops!! The bosses were oddly shaped and covered in paint. I have never seen such sloppy work! It took awhile to get the cable stops to sit flush with the downtube. I had to literally grind away paint and metal on the bosses.

Issue number 3; The right side Alternator Swing plate/dropout was badly bent, meaning the derailleur hanger was bent inward beyond 10 degrees, as well as bent forward causing the axle cradle to be smaller than an axle. I believe that either it was highly impacted during shipping or the plate got past inspection after manufacture. Salsa refused to replace this part unless I could take it to the LBS I bought the frame from, so they could inspect it. Problem is the LBS is a 2 hour drive from me.

The plate is only $29, so instead of driving 4 hours round trip, I waited till an online source had it in stock. I'm hoping this build will move forward with more ease than what I have experienced. I'm disappointed with Salsa. I have several framesets from them and this is the first to have problems from the factory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    My Marrakesh/rohloff build/velo orange
    ya know, Renegade, you've pretty much built the bike i've been thinking about. the main reason i asked about the crazy bar is to support a rohloff build. good looking rig, you have there.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerGal View Post
    I'm curious about your handlebars. They are close to what I want. How have they been for you?
    I've enjoyed them. Had them on this bike and a previous build for over 2 years now, including a 5 week/1700 mile pavement tour.

One advantage over Jones bar is the center area is open and allows use of the traditional handlebar bag.
    The other is they make a good place to hang clothes at camp.

Sorry you had so many issues with your build. I built mine up, and had no issues. Except the frame didn't come with the fender version of the alternator drop-outs, which I got salsa to replace based on their website spec listing them.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    ya know, Renegade, you've pretty much built the bike i've been thinking about. the main reason i asked about the crazy bar is to support a rohloff build. good looking rig, you have there.
    thanks! Any questions, let me know. For me, the Marrakesh checks all the boxes of what I wanted in a dedicated, touring frame:
    -Rohloff compatible
    -Flat bar geometry for VO crazy bars/jones bars
    -Enough tire clearance for 40-50+ mm gravel tires, but small enough for normal fit of 50 mm fenders and 38 road touring tires.
    -fork bottle mounts
    -Stout frame to handle my 220 lbs (6'4") and fully loading touring bags
    -kickstand plate (not essential, but comes in handy)

The frame is definitely built for heavy, duty touring. It handles heavy loads really well, but I feel it may be too stiff for unloaded, every day riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like and dislike the Jones bars. I miss having bar ends for the leverage they provide and there doesn't seem to be bar ends out there that fit a 45 deg sweep.

What is the distance between the front extensions? Do you use the front extensions for climbing with loads or are they just a different hand position.?

Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    I've enjoyed them. Had them on this bike and a previous build for over 2 years now, including a 5 week/1700 mile pavement tour.

One advantage over Jones bar is the center area is open and allows use of the traditional handlebar bag.
    The other is they make a good place to hang clothes at camp.

Sorry you had so many issues with your build. I built mine up, and had no issues. Except the frame didn't come with the fender version of the alternator drop-outs, which I got salsa to replace based on their website spec listing them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerGal View Post
    What is the distance between the front extensions?
    400mm.
    Casey's Chromoly Crazy Bar, Noir - Handlebars - Components

the Renegade clued me in on this interesting Surly bar:
    Handlebar | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    May 2015
    just found out, my order recently came in, waiting to pick up from lbs next week, having it built with jones h bar.

what else have peeps done to their rides? just curious what accessories or what not people have put on.