Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

We don"t need no stinking Split Pivot!

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  ejj 
#1 ·
Although the new one looks really cool, I'm bummed to see the old Spearfish design go. It was simple, cheap, sturdy and super fun. It's a shame that there are less ways to get out there for less than 3k these days.

Here's mine on a ride in Prescott, AZ this week.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I said the same thing to my rep. I am keeping my 2013 Horsethief another year. It is bombproof and simple in it's design! I did get a quick ride on the new one, it is very much a marketing hype to increase market share which is understandable but still, from a simplicity standpoint it makes little sense...... They put a SRAM specific BB standard in the new Beargrease as well. Still great products , just not the happiest with them this season.

#3 · (Edited)
Agree original Spearfish is cheap - it's made offshore. Not in a good sense: derailer hanger attachment on mine frequently became loose; graphics are cheap; finishing of brake caliper attachment, BB shell, headtube all poorly done with paint on threads, non-flat surfaces, etc. I liked my Spearfish, but it wasn't a fun bike. Also, it didn't climb steep stuff better than my Mamasita - the suspension action became locked-up and did not help traction.

I agree they could have solved my quality gripes and lack of fun without SplitPivot, not sure about the climbing.

Also agree bikes are getting expensive - there are some good inexpensive forks (Xfusion) and 1x10 or 11 should also cut cost, but seems these configs are self-build only.

#5 ·
I am unsure how I feel about their DW hoopla as of late. In all fairness, I haven't ridden one but to Salsa own admission a few years back, it is more expensive and not better. Everyone raves over the new model but I reserve judgement and suspect that any improvements are in geometry and/or maxles and not a BS patent that is an elementary theory every engineering text book for the last 100 years. The old design is what drew me to the Spearfish in the first place. Historically Salsa filled a niche that nobody else did, and quite frankly, I think just got it right with the intro of the Spearfish era. I go to the demos of other manufactures and their bikes just don't feel alive to me, in any price range. I hope they haven't shot themselves in the foot and ruined a true gem in an effort for more market share. When I need a new bike, I will find out.......until then, I don't have much of a reason to care.

#9 ·
Probably best to reserve judgement till you've ridden one. I agreed the original design had something great about it. On the other hand, I think the new design has something to do with Dave Weagle so it might be very good indeed. In 26" FS bikes I rode a Superlight for 18 months and then tried Heckler, Titus Racer-X, Nicolai Helios CC and Turner Flux over the subsequent year. The DW-link Flux was a true winner and combined the best of the rest, so a DW designed Spearfish may yet shine. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.