mtbr member

Warbird on singletrack and rough road?

Just how much of a hit can that Warbird take, especially the fork?

I've been riding a Generation 1 Fargo as my "road bike" that I take out on mixed up rides including pavement, rough dirt roads, old doubletrack, and sometimes scraps of short singletrack of the sort you find in rural areas connecting adjacent neighborhoods.

The Warbird seems like a more suitable bike, at least a bit more road-oriented. But what about that fork? The Fargo's steel fork inspires confidence. If I fly down a gravel road on the Warbird and smash into a bunch of braking bumps or potholes, will I need to worry? What about a few roots on those short stretches of singletrack? Will the fork hold up to some hard hits?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Just how much of a hit can that Warbird take, especially the fork?

I've been riding a Generation 1 Fargo as my "road bike" that I take out on mixed up rides including pavement, rough dirt roads, old doubletrack, and sometimes scraps of short singletrack of the sort you find in rural areas connecting adjacent neighborhoods.

The Warbird seems like a more suitable bike, at least a bit more road-oriented. But what about that fork? The Fargo's steel fork inspires confidence. If I fly down a gravel road on the Warbird and smash into a bunch of braking bumps or potholes, will I need to worry? What about a few roots on those short stretches of singletrack? Will the fork hold up to some hard hits?
    As far as bumps and potholes, or a few roots, I wouldn't have any worries. I'd bash away. You'll pinchflat long before you break the fork.

In reality, it is too soon for anyone outside of Salsa to tell...but based on ENVE's previous reputation and prior products, I wouldn't have any worries about anything you'd reasonably encounter on gravel roads, light singletrack, etc. I've put my Vaya through the paces with 2 different composite forks, with no ill effects...and that's a straight steerer.