mtbr member

Warbird 3 for road/gravel newb?

Primarily a mountain biker here and lately begun to have the urge for a bit of gravel road and potentially regular-ole road riding. I'm not ready to fully commit and don't want to sink a ton of dough into a bike.

I'm wonder if the Warbird 3 might make a good starter bike to get onto the roads a bit? I like the cost, the disc brakes and the carbon fork. Any thoughts? Other recommendations?

Harmonius Wrench
    There is no reason why a Warbird 3 wouldn't make a great ride on roads with maybe a swap to a 28mm road tire. Heck, even the stock rubber should handle road riding fine.

You won't have that big ring speed, not ideal for "racing", but you would be fine with the bike as is on the road.

Other recommendations: Any cyclo cross bike, any touring bike, a Salsa Vaya, and there will be a gravel specific bike from Raleigh called the Tamland 1 at the same price point as the Warbird 3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Go for it. I traded in my road bike and my cross bike for my Warbird Ti. I use it for both. 28c for road and whatever the course requires for gravel or a little CX. It's a great bike. It's not the fastest bike on the road, but it moves along in the mid-20's with ease. I can still sprint to a bit over 30 on it, but doing a 30+ mph paceline isn't as sustainable as with a full road bike. You sit up a little higher and hit more wind. Longer rides are way more comfortable, however.

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    What's the price point on the 3 going to be?

mtbr member

Bikerumor listed the msrp at around $1700 I believe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The worst part about it is 9spd Sora. The new Giant Revolt 1 is MSRP $1380 (likely less in the shop) and is 10spd.

Rider down under
    Im in the same position as the OP.
    I notice the frame weight of the ti warbird is the same as the ti colossal, so it should be possible to build a complete bike of comparable weight but more relaxed geo.
    Could a warbird be road race worthy with a few changes? Considering a Ti Warbird with high end wheels, full ultegra etc. The new carbon Zipp disc wheels come to mind. Is there any reason why this couldn't be a fast light stable and comfortable road race bike?
    The stock wheels could be swapped in for occasional gravel duties.

mtbr member
    I'm also interested in this same topic! The Giant Revolt 1 is looking pretty good also. I'm waiting for a LBS to get some in stock to check them out. The Salsa Warbird 2 and 3 seem nice too but a little more $.

mtbr member

...and now the Niner RLT! Decisions, decisions!

AZ
    banned
    Specialized AWOL is another possibility, available as a frame and fork.

Warbird 3 for road/gravel newb?-2872005f.jpg

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    ...and now the Niner RLT! Decisions, decisions!
    The RLT is a CX bike geo with a bit longer chain stay and slightly larger tire clearances. That said, it is basically a CX bike.

For 16-1700 the Raleigh Tamland should be part of this conversation. Reynolds 631 steel, disc, true gravel geo. Room for big tires. (40's are stock, could go bigger)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    The RLT is a CX bike geo with a bit longer chain stay and slightly larger tire clearances. That said, it is basically a CX bike.

OK, I'm confused. Looking at several CX bike geo's, the RLT's chain stays are quite a bit longer and the bottom bracket is lower by at least 7-10mm's. Head angle too steep? What is this "true gravel geo" you speak. TIA

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    OK, I'm confused. Looking at several CX bike geo's, the RLT's chain stays are quite a bit longer and the bottom bracket is lower by at least 7-10mm's. Head angle too steep? What is this "true gravel geo" you speak. TIA
    I curious about geometry too. I don't think the Tamland geometry is public yet, is it? I'm rocking a steel Vaya as my gravel & road bike, and admittedly, every year I check out the new bikes for something lighter, made with "better-riding" steel and/or "faster handling." (All things the internets has me believing I might want.) So far I haven't liked anything else well enough to make a switch!

mtbr member
    GT,
    I am looking for a gravel & CX rig, I prefer steel which is why the Straggler is my first choice BUT I rode my steel Colossal 2 to CX practice yesterday and it did pretty well, albeit on tiny 28 nubbie Kenda Karvs! So it got me to thinking about the Warbird for CX & gravel instead so it would be closer to my Colossal in weight and handling. Between those 2, which would be your pick? Can the Warbird be SS?
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy