Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....

It seems this bike ducks under the radar quite a bit. I really love mine and would love to hear what other owners have to say about theirs. I also would like to see what upgrades and set ups guys are running.

I pitched the avid brakes for a set of XT's and switched too a salsa rustler bar. stans tubeless conversion and a new saddle are in the works.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_2277.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_2301.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_2598.jpg

Lets see some more...
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member

Re: WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....

I'm glad someone started this thread. I've only got a few rides on mine and like it a lot. swapped rear tire to a ikon 2.2 exo and set it up tubeless, got some xt brakes on the way also. WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-uploadfromtaptalk1396879402339.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have been riding my '14 Horsethief 1 for 6 weeks+ and really enjoy it. Still making component changes.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=lweilenman;11117198]I'm glad someone started this thread. I've only got a few rides on mine and like it a lot. swapped rear tire to a ikon 2.2 exo and set it up tubeless, got some xt brakes on the way also./QUOTE]

Thats the first HT 3 I have seen besides my own! I have only seen 2 others on my local trails since january, both being the HT 1's

I was actually considering the maxxis ikon for tubless myself. how well did it work out with the Sun inferno 27 rims. What product did you use for the conversion Stans, slime, ect?

mtbr member
    I used stans and no leaks so far. I used an air compressor to seat the bead and lots of soapy water. the tire looks really good on there haven't had a chance to ride on it yet been a lot of rain. how's that rustler bar working out I was thinking of going wider with mine?

2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....

I like them a lot I mainly put them on for the rise. I like to be in a more up right position coming from a motocross background. The extra width seems to add some more leverage moving the front end around. My only complaint is from the flow killing tree gates in the tx trails.

Good to hear about the Stan's. I will be running the same set up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

In the Den of Thieves

2013 Horsethief 2 here. Love this bike! It was a leftover from Universal Cycles. Tried a Spearfish 3 and it was nowhere this good.

In the 3 or so weeks I have had the bike I had two flats already. I do not need to run low psi for our local conditions and I despise flats so I think I am going to put the Stan's goo into the tubes. Stan's pump and core remover on the way.

Pic is immediately after assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-bike-compressed.jpg  

mtbr member
    that's a good looking bike I thought about the horsethief 2 but decided to save some money to spend on upgrades. hope the stans sealant works out for you in your tubes flats always suck.

2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    What upgrades are you planning?

I added Ergon GS1 grips. Like them. Had Welgo Magnesium platforms on for my first few rides but swapped over the Shimano clip less pedals from my recumbent. I may try the platforms again once my 5/10 shoes arrive.

I've heard folks complain about the brakes but I find them to be fine.

JH

mtbr member
    I have shimano xt brakes on the way and also a slx shadow+ rear deraillure coming, i'm thinking of putting an slx double crankset on and i really want carbon wheels but that will have to wait for a while. Speaking of 5/10 shoes i have a pair with some spike spank pedals and I like that combo a lot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jherrman3 View Post
    2013 Horsethief 2 here. Love this bike! It was a leftover from Universal Cycles. Tried a Spearfish 3 and it was nowhere this good.
    What didn't you like about the Spearfish (compared to the Horsethief)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got a 2013 Horsethief 2 from Universal cycles. The Elixir brakes had to be warrantied (bad master cylinder) so my LBS put on a set of Shimano Deore brakes. It's a hell of a bike! The local trails are still pretty sloppy, so I just road around the streets. I will get it off road this weekend and see how it does.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-horsethief.jpg
    Last edited by thecreeper23; 04-11-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thecreeper23 View Post
    I got a 2013 Horsethief 2 from Universal cycles. The Elixir brakes had to be warrantied (bad master cylinder) so my LBS put on a set of Shimano Deore brakes. It's a hell of a bike! The local trails are still pretty sloppy, so I just road around the streets. I will get it off road this weekend and see how it does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horsethief.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	884436

Got mine from Universal as well. Horsethief 2. No issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

To Gartenmeister,

It was the lower spec shifter that was not so good. Remainder of the bike was fine. I should have clarified that in my post because I made it sound as if I felt the 'Fish was not good.

I will say that since there is so little weight penalty with the Horsethief vs the Spearfish I thought why not get the longer travel bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Took my Horsethief on the trails near my house yesterday afternoon. Could only do the first few ridges because it gets muddy higher up. This is my first FS bike and my first new bike since my 2002 GT hard tail. This bike is much easier to ride. And it is comfortable at much higher speeds. Very pleased so far.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The full susp and 29 wheels take a little getting used to. At least they did for me coming from 1990s 26 hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I agree--it's a big change. But the new bike is way more comfortable. And seems to go way faster...

Rear suspension, disc brakes, 29 inch wheels and a functional front fork. It's a whole new world for me!
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Since you have an HT2 as I do, let me ask how you feel about bike mods. Other than pedals I am experimenting with from my other bikes and grips that I changed to Ergon GS2, I think this bike has everything! OK, everything I need at this point.

Are you contemplating bike mods?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The only mod I made so far is the brakes. The Elixir master cylinder for the rear was dead on arrival. If you pumped and pumped the lever it would build enough pressure for one stop, but two bleeds didn't fix it and my LBS sent it back in for warranty. I had them add a set of Shimano brakes. The saddle is the other change I'm going to make. I think it's just a matter of personal preference, but I find it very uncomfortable. I'm a tall skinny guy and my tailbone just sits on the factory saddle. Everything else is A-OK for me, though.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Here's my 2013 Horsethief 2. Only mod so far is the KS eTen dropper I moved from my 29er hardtail. Waiting for the new FSA Gravity Light 60mm stem and 777 handlebar to come in and that will be all until something breaks.
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-1979268_790227690990320_548037213163090413_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jherrman3 View Post

In the 3 or so weeks I have had the bike I had two flats already. I do not need to run low psi for our local conditions and I despise flats so I think I am going to put the Stan's goo into the tubes. Stan's pump and core remover on the way.

Pic is immediately after assembly.
    I am wondering how you get 2 flats already (with normal psi) as my HT2's already tubeless (and I presume yours is as well). I have used Continental Revo instead of Stan's sealant.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    For the two on here with the 2013 salsa 2s, can you tell me if the continental tires that it comes with are tubeless. My buddy also picked this up, and I've been looking for any signs of it being TR but It doesn't say so. My buddy wants to get a set of tubeless valves but not if he's going to have to buy new tires as well. Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just had some thorns that poked thru. Heard so much positive testimony on tubeless I plan to try it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24 View Post
    For the two on here with the 2013 salsa 2s, can you tell me if the continental tires that it comes with are tubeless. My buddy also picked this up, and I've been looking for any signs of it being TR but It doesn't say so. My buddy wants to get a set of tubeless valves but not if he's going to have to buy new tires as well. Thanks for any info!
    The Conti tires may not be TR but the wheels are TR. The wheels came in with the tires mounted with no pressure and I didn't see a tube and the rims already has the yellow rim tape. I initially pumped air in it with a floor pump without sealant to see if it will hold air and it did. I put in Continental Revo on both after 3 days of the tires holding pressure and it's now on it's 3rd week and tire pressure still holds.

mtbr member
    sounds like the horsethief 2 was a pretty good deal with those wheels. the more i ride mine the more i like it, it makes me want to get out and try new trails and do the bigger jumps and drop offs that i didn't want to on my hardtail. I hope everyone else is having as much fun with theirs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast