Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've got a '12 HT running original Flow EXs, float 34 stretched to 140mm. Tossed a DBinline on this season and it has been a blast. It's held up to a ton of abuse. I'm 6'4" 200lb and have 2,500 miles on the bike. Its been all over CO front range, Keystone Bike Park, Fruita (HT bench!) GJ (Lunch Loops), Moab (Whole enchilada, Ahab) and it hasn't let me down. Also put on a reverb, 60mm stem, 780 bars, 34x10 with 42 one-up, and XT brakes. Its a perfect all around bike.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo.png

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm the sizing. I'm 5'8 and usually ride a medium. The geo says I should be on a small. Any comments would help a lot.....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin....Yeti 4.5...SIR9 SS...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2015 Horsethief Carbon 1

I'll revive this old thread. Been riding a 2015 Horsethief Carbon 1 for about a month now and it gets better with every ride.WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht.jpg

I wound up with the handlebar at the top of the steerer tube and have about killed myself in wet conditions on the stock Nobby Nics, but damn is this thing fun to ride.

Coming from a hardtail 29er to the HT has been a dream. Anyone else riding the Carbon 1?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehosephat View Post
    I'll revive this old thread. Been riding a 2015 Horsethief Carbon 1 for about a month now and it gets better with every ride.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HT.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	998213

I wound up with the handlebar at the top of the steerer tube and have about killed myself in wet conditions on the stock Nobby Nics, but damn is this thing fun to ride.

Coming from a hardtail 29er to the HT has been a dream. Anyone else riding the Carbon 1?
    Nice! Is that a L or an XL? Strongly considered this over the Evil but I ended up with the Evil. It was a tough choice though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was right in between sizes and there were no XLs available in Salsa warehouses. I figured the L would feel a touch more nimble. I'm still dialing in the cockpit, but it's getting there. I made a few adjustments since I took this pic.: raised the bar to be above the last spacer, put on my old ergon grips and tilted the seat forward a bit. Those minor adjustments helped a lot. I'll ride it awhile. If I need to make any more adjustments, it would probably be to swap out the Rustler bars for something with more rise.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Anybody in a Large and wanting to size down? I've got a 2014 horsethief in Medium with pike fork and 1x11. Looking to move up to Large. I need the Reach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You may want to check out the Horsethief group on Facebook. Might be someone there who fits the bill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Can anyone confirm the sizing. I'm 5'8 and usually ride a medium. The geo says I should be on a small. Any comments would help a lot.....
    5'7" here, I ride a size small. 740 wide bars / 60mm stem. Some days I feel a bit stretched out, most days it feels spot on. I always ride a size medium stumpjumper. The small is close to a medium spez or medium Santa Cruz.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Compare the reach measurement to geo on a frame you do feel comfortable on...I got nearly 2 inches more reach out of the medium horsethief compared to my old medium tallboy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Has anyone tried a 650b+ wheel set on this frame yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Could some of you HT owners make a big favor for me: Measure your actual BB height (floor to center of BB) and report it back here? Please. And don't forget to tell what tyres you had installed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Split Pivot Horsethief doesn't seem to be generating a lot of excitement, with owners, on the internet, there's not a lot of chatter about it. I have been looking for my first FS and have been trying out several. After demoing a couple of bikes at this years DirtFest I kept coming back to the Horsethief as the bike I enjoyed the most. I just couldn't decide on a small or medium. I'm about 5'8" and according to Salsa's sizing chart I should be on the small but the guys at the demo kept putting me on a medium. I tried both and really couldn't tell the difference when riding. I'm currently on a small Karate Monkey and have been doing fine but maybe I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love my horsethief. I'm 5'11" and am happy on a medium. And don't let the lack of enthusiasm on the internet sway you, it is a fantastic bike. I did a lot of demo rides on high end bikes and ended up here

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    May I ask which high end bikes and what size stem do you use?

On paper, the Horsethief is everything I want. External cable routing on top of the downtube, external routing for my favourite dropper (LEV), the "right" geometry for my intensions, no proprietary shock etc. Salsa makes all the right choises, keeping things simple for the user and focusing on the right things it seems. Also between sizes as 5'8,5" but I'd probably go for the Medium 'cause my local dealer has one white carbon on his shelf! Would prefer the RockShox shock though. Fox has always disappointed me.

For the record, have a Pivot 429c and a Specialized Camber Evo but somehow this bike keeps haunting me!

mtbr member
    Going to pull the trigger on new carbon xtr package bike. Been saving my pennies so it has been a while to come up with the cash. SWEEEET!

mtbr member
    Only one short ride so far. This is a FUN, forgiving bike.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_0769.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow ...that is sweet!!! Spent some coin on that, but it is awesome...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Dayum, that is sweet. Such a great ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brentos - sweet whip. I have a very similar build (Carbon HT, Pike, Enve 60s, XX1, dropper). You'll love it. It's a beast! Eats babyheads all day. Post up your ride report.

mtbr member
    Where are the ride reports for these cool bikes you got.......Getting close to ordering mine...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Where are the ride reports for these cool bikes you got.......Getting close to ordering mine...
    It really is flippin' amazing. Really an intuitive, responsive, and stable bike. Compared to a Genius, Spark, Ripley, and Process 111, it's my favorite. That's saying quite a bit, as I've really loved and am still impressed, by a couple of those bikes (Genius and Process to be specific).

After 100 miles, my impression is that it pedals as well as the Genius and descends as well as the Process. I've got a 60mm stem on mine now and the fit is really good. I will be using it for trail rides, XC, XC Endurance, and Enduro races. I'm 5'11" and I'm sure a Medium would fit well, but I'm on a Large as I prefer my bikes to run a bit long.

I really am truly impressed, if I didn't like anything I'd tell you, but I can't think of a thing I'd change... I guess the cable routing could be a bit more tidy, without the zip ties. But it's far from the worst I've had.

mtbr member
    awesome Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can you guys tell me if the FOX CTD on my Salsa Horsethief 2015 has a Large Volume (LV) or Standard Volume (SV) sleeve size? I assume that it's a SV sleeve but just want to make sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    Can you guys tell me if the FOX CTD on my Salsa Horsethief 2015 has a Large Volume (LV) or Standard Volume (SV) sleeve size? I assume that it's a SV sleeve but just want to make sure.
    2013 FLOAT Large Volume (LV) Air Sleeve and Eyelet

mtbr member
    Getting my bike this week, anymore ride reports???

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The sleeve is SV sized... I got a reply from the Salsa support

mtbr member
    First ride on new HT and WOW what a great bike! Does everything really well. Can't wait to get some more time on it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Split Pivot HT Rear Shock & Bottom Bracket Guidance

After Labor Day I will be building up a '14 Horsethief from the frame up.

I will be installing XT cranks 1x10 or 2x10, I haven't decided yet and I am on the fence with running a standard Shimano pressfit BB or paying the extra freight for an Enduro TorqTite BB...any real world experiences?

Also, my HT frame came with the stock Fox Float CTD and I am thinking about immediately upgrading/ordering a Monarch RT3 and keeping the Fox for a back-up. I had horrible luck with 2 Fox Float Boost Valve shocks, having "Pushed" both rear shocks I was not overwhelmed with the outcome. Push's upgrade seems to slightly increase the small bump compliance, but lacked mid-stroke support and blew through the travel too easily.

What about the Debonair can on the HT, anyone try one?

I know that the DB Inline is a great option for the HT, but I am not that tweaky, I want to set it and forget it.

Many thanks for offering any personal experiences or opinions!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    I know that the DB Inline is a great option for the HT, but I am not that tweaky, I want to set it and forget it.

Many thanks for offering any personal experiences or opinions!
    Have you thought about the Manitou McLeod? I love mine on my 2013 HT, though I'm not sure how different it would perform with the 2014s split pivot.

There is a dedicated thread on the McLeod in the suspension section.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief - Full Squish
    2013 Trek Marlin - Hard Tail
    Motobecane Lurch - Fatty

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Wisconsinite, has Manitou upped their reliability and CS? I will research that thread as well as online.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinite762 View Post
    Have you thought about the Manitou McLeod? I love mine on my 2013 HT, though I'm not sure how different it would perform with the 2014s split pivot.

There is a dedicated thread on the McLeod in the suspension section.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There's no McLeod in 7.25 / 1.75" available

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Bonzoo, I just confirmed the same...I guess I am solving for the BB now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    Thanks Bonzoo, I just confirmed the same...I guess I am solving for the BB now
    Forgot the shocks are a different size on the 2nd gen HT.

The local suspension expert (username: Dougal) in the McLeod thread suggested adding a top-out spacer to a 7.5/2.0 shock to bring it down to 7.25/1.75. I have no idea how (or if) that would affect the performance of the shock though.

Edit: Here is the comment Manitou Mcleod Rear Shock
    2013 Salsa Horsethief - Full Squish
    2013 Trek Marlin - Hard Tail
    Motobecane Lurch - Fatty

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for digging up that comment. I briefly went through the thread but didn't see this hint.

Hmm I'm not sure about the top-out spacer? Maybe somebody should contact Manitou? I'm thinking about the Vorsprung Corset and/or Push Tuning. It did wonders for my GF Speci Enduro with a Fox shock

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the re-direct Wisconsinite, I read the whole McLeod thread and overlooked it as well, I wonder if the mod will compromise the manitou warranty? I will be calling and emailing manitou on Monday.

Anybody try the Debonair or Corset on the HT?

The local suspension expert (username: Dougal) in the McLeod thread suggested adding a top-out spacer to a 7.5/2.0 shock to bring it down to 7.25/1.75. I have no idea how (or if) that would affect the performance of the shock though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I "tried" to order a Corset for my HT from TF Tuned but they're still on backorder... I might get one directly from Vorsprung...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If your successful in obtaining one Vorsprung, please post up post ride reviews

Thanks,

I "tried" to order a Corset for my HT from TF Tuned but they're still on backorder... I might get one directly from Vorsprung...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sure thing! I'll keep you updated. I had a chat with a guy who's running a DB Inline... He's super happy with the shock. However it's expensive & the reliability issues are keeping me off :/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I spoke with Hayes/Mantou/Sun yesterday regarding the Mcleod mod...installing the top-out spacer to reduce the stroke down to 7.25x1.75 will void the warranty. Also, Manitou stated that they have no plans for a 7.25x1.75 stroke Mcleod. I guess I will be pulling the trigger for the Monarch RT3.

mtbr member
    Got my horsethief this weekend, very, very, excited! Fixing dropper routing and swapping for a pike and xt brakes this weekend

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht.jpg

Handmade in Switzerland
    Can someone tell me if the 2016 Horsethief Carbon X01 is already available?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Excited to have picked up a 2014 frame at a good price. I'm currently on a Honzo, but my body needs a bit of a rest. Geo on this bike is close to what I'm used to, and to the other bikes I was considering. I'm hoping for a solid climber, something that pedals over roots a little better, and for a little more support on the downs vs. the hardtail (particularly braking bumps and multiple hits which made the Honzo a little squirelly). The HT seems to fly under the radar a bit (as noted elsewhere), but looks to be a perfect fit for my riding and terrain.

mtbr member
    Changes are dialed in!

Easton Haven 70mm stem oversize clamp
    Santa Cruz 800mm low-rise bars
    XT M8000 brakes
    Pike RCT3

Bike rides great, had a big creak that turned out to be a loose axle nut on the drive side. Just need to find more time to ride!
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-horsethief.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New Horsetheif Build

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4299.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4283.jpg

Well I purchased the 2014 Horsethief Frameset for my 50th birthday April 2015. Two kids at at major university and trying to rebuild my retirement nest can really slow down your purchasing goals...also I did not want to compromise on any parts for my 50th birthday present to ME. Anyway following is the parts build schedule:

Medium Horsethief Frameset
    Cane Creek 40 Headset
    2016 MRP Stage Fork
    NOX Farlow rim's with Hadley Hubs, built by the best wheel builder Dave "Speeeeeed Dream" Thomas - My second build from him...highly recommended
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 front tire
    Specialized Ground Control Grid 2.30 rear tire
    XT M8000 shifter, cranks, rear derailleur, 11-42 cassette, pedals, bottom bracket, front and rear Brakes, 180mm front & 160mm rear rotors
    XTR chain
    Praxis Works 30T Chainring
    Easton Haven 70mm stem, with Haven seatpost (9point8 Fall Line dropper post was purchased in January, just waiting to dial-in the cockpit before it is installed).
    Syntace Vector Handelbar - 760mm, 12 degree sweep
    Specialized BG Countour Locking Grips
    WTB Team Saddle
    Arundal bottle cage.

The bike rides great!! I am 5'9" on a good day and I feel like the medium frame barely fits me...I am thinking about moving to a 80mm stem. The biggest surprises of the bike or build up is the MRP Stage fork and Nox Wheels. The MRP Stage is the real deal as I have demoed the Pike on several bikes and have owned just about every Fox and RS that have been made. The Stage has amazing tunability and it makes me smile every time I ride the bike. The Farlow's are super stiff and everything happens much faster...I feel like my reflexes really need to up their game. For the past 20+ years I have been an avid, aggressive, advanced mountain biker and have ridden just about every significant trail in the southwest. Also, the right tire pressure becomes much more critical with CF hoops. I started out with 28 in the front and 30 in the rear and I was bouncing off of everything. This morning I tried 25 front and 28 rear and still feel like I can drop the psi more without risking a rim strike.

The only disappointing component is the XT M8000 brakes...plenty, ample loads of power, but no modulation to speak of. I knew this going in and I thought that my riding skills would overcome the on/off characteristics of the brakes...I will give them some time. I am contemplating moving to a set of Hopes as they are well known for great modulation, but hit and miss in power band and I would hate to spend $400 and not be satisfied. Lastly, I have not owned Shimano shifters and rear derailleur's since the late 90's...I am impressed...the shifters are still not quite as crisp as the SRAM's but the rear derailleur is very impressive.

My previous bike was a 2010 Ellsworth Evolve 100mm rear travel bike. I really liked the monkey motion of the Ellsworth, but the geometry became dated quickly with the steep headtube and super long chainstays. The Horsethief climbs more spiritedly and provides me an ample level of confidence on the steep and sketchy Phoenix descents.

IMO the Horsethief is truly the swiss army knife of bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

2016 ht 27.5+

Picked up my new HT this past weekend.. in a 27.5+ format.. its still muddy here in VT so no riding the ST but its break in ride will be in Sedona in two weeks! Here are some pics:WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-1.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-2.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone in the MN/WI area Freewheel has some 2015 HT 2's left they are selling for $2,200. I just picked one up, it is sweet!

mtbr member
    Has anyone changed from the fox factory to a monarch RT3 on a split pivot HT? My fox shock won't hold air despite a rebuild and am curious if a swap would be worth it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2015 Carbon HT

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht1.jpg

Loving my 2015 Carbon HT. Pike 120, 1x, wtb vigilante/trailboss f/r. Shred sled that is incredibly capable/versatile. My hardtail buddies aren't dropping me on the ups and I sprout wings when it gets chunky!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_20160319_203840.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What do folks run for a chain catcher on the HT with 1x drivetrain? My 2015 has threaded posts around the bb seemingly for mounting such a thing but salsa doest liat a chain catcher /watcher on their site...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Build up my horsethief two weekends ago. Haven't been able to ride since I broke my hand. Staring at it is just self inflicted torture.WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast