Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Getting back into MTB and coming from a 26" HT. I haven't had the time to fully put it through a good workout, but here she is....

'14 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester7677 View Post
    Getting back into MTB and coming from a 26" HT. I haven't had the time to fully put it through a good workout, but here she is....

Very nice. I wish the frame only option had been a brighter color, that bike looks good.
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tye View Post
    I went from a Giant Reign 2 to the 2014 Horsethief 2 recently and wow this bike is confidence inspiring! This is my first 29er and I was comfortable the first ride.
    Great climber and awesome downhill bike. Perfect bike for Tahoe area trails.
    This is still all stock , I plan on putting a low rise bar and maybe a seat dropper soon.
    I have a creaking sound in a lower pivot or the bb I will have to bring it to the shop and have them squash that soon it can be annoying on climbs. Attachment 907557Attachment 907558Attachment 907559

I had a creaking as well, and found it to be Page 3, Item 18 found within this document...

http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/77...it_INST_V5.pdf
    '14 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My Horsethief was a demo bike at my LBS that looked practically brand new. It was a bit out of my intended price range but the discount being offered was impossible to resist. It's my first real mountain bike and I'm extremely happy with my choice!

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_20140725_194515974_hdr.jpg

tye
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Interesting, thanks for the link! Did you just replace it and the creaking went away?
    I had a creaking as well, and found it to be Page 3, Item 18 found within this document...

http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/77...it_INST_V5.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tye View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the link! Did you just replace it and the creaking went away?
    Nah, just tightened the hex bolt a little. Try and flexing the frame, putting side to side stress at various points. For me I first noticed it when pushing the crank inward. Then pushed and pulled on rear shock and gave that a shot.
    '14 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Pic from steamboat enduro x

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-10367747_699094466826939_6969570700959436195_n.jpg

mtbr member
    I have a '13 HT2, and the more I ride it, the more I love it. I know it isn't the current design, but it works great for me. Plus I like the simplicity of a single pivot.

I'm still learning to ride the bike, I haven't gotten to hit the trail as much as I'd like to, maybe twice a month.

For a while I was convinced that the bike didn't handle that great, but I realized it was my technique. I've always been a more neutral rider, I tended to just guide the bike. I've realized with the HT, you have to manhandle it a bit and really force it into the corners. Once I got more aggressive with it, I've noticed my cornering and speed has greatly improved. I still have a slight problem with traction in the front ned, I think the wide tire wants to cause it to wash out in the looser stuff. Shifting me weight a tad forward and getting out of the saddle combats this.

I LOVE the suspension... I hit a very rooty trail the other day, with the roots and washed out ground making basically stairsteps, and this thing climbed right up. In fact, if I stayed seated and pulled back on the bars, I could cruise right over the roots w/out even feeling them.

I'm still amazed at what this bike will get over. The other day I was on an unfamiliar trail and picked a bad line...the trail went down and back up a steep gully. Coming up I was slightly to the right, I really needed to be to the left. The left had a nice clean line, the right had this giant tree root at the top of the gully, it must have been at least a foot tall and looked like a wall at the top of the climb. I realized I couldn't turn quickly enough to get away from the root, so I just pulled back a bit and hoped for the best, and then....nothing. I cruised right over it like it wasn't even there.

I'm also getting used to the Queen Mary-esque turning radius. Tight trees are still a problem, I still need to cut down the bars a bit. It's a good thing the guy in front of me stopped at a narrow tree gap on my last ride...if he hadn't I'd have had a nasty surprise. My bars were at least an inch wider than the gap.

I also like the fact that it's different, I've never seen another one on the trail, and I always get asked questions about it.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

tye
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nah, just tightened the hex bolt a little. Try and flexing the frame, putting side to side stress at various points. For me I first noticed it when pushing the crank inward. Then pushed and pulled on rear shock and gave that a shot.
    Great! Thanks for the tip it will be nice to climb in silence for once.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just thought I 'd weigh in on converting the Conti Mtn. Kings that come on the '13s to tubeless. I DON'T ADVISE. I ran mine for a few months and had 3 different burps on the front. The last of which resulted in a pretty bad crash that I remarkably made it out of. The rear sidewall ripped on that one too rendering me with a double flat (and twisted stem, ripped out Reverb hose, etc) in the middle of nowhere.
    Those tires are not tubeless ready. The sidewalls are thin and the bead is not strong.
    All that said, I am 90% strength and 10% finesse rider in the Rock Mountains that likes speed. A more graceful rider on smoother trails might be fine...
    Last edited by teartags; 08-14-2014 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I agree with above, have had a number of burps and leaks due to tires not being tubeless ready
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lweilenman View Post
    I agree with above, have had a number of burps and leaks due to tires not being tubeless ready
    I had similar problems with those Contis. If you get the ones with the protection sidewalls, no problem. I'm running them and have been very satisfied. The sidewalls on the stock tires are way too thin.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....

I'm 44, 6'2", 185 and getting back into riding after 20 years away. After 100 miles of easy riding, I did 6 miles of intermediate today with the 2014 Horsethief 2 (Large). I've added a Gravity Turbo LP Dropper post, ODI grips, Hylix Carbon Riser Bar (720mm) and a new WTB saddle.

Bike was fantastic and god bless 29er, FS! I had it in full travel and didn't feel I was being robbed of any power. Front end was light or coming up when I was really pedaling hard. Handles great, but the rider needs more skill and get used to maneuvering it a bit more (pedals got creamed more than once). Cruised through rocky/rooty downhills.

Dropper post was amazing. I got the 400mm, 2.5" and 5" drop version with left switch from Price Point, for a great price. Dropping 5" on the downhills really, really, really helped. Kept it at 2.5" most other times, full height on the easy stuff. Worth every penny being able to adjust on the fly. Putting pressure on the seat to release the pin or move the seat is not a big deal at all. No fluids is good with me!

Fox knee/shin pads and elbow pads were awesome too. Bit it 3 times but not a single scratch, and at my age, that means something.

Bike has been christened with some good blemishes but I couldn't recommend this bike more. But then again, I haven't ridden a ton of different bikes. I chose this over a Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er (just too above the bike) and a Scott Genius 27.5 (didn't move me that much more than the 96 Cannondale f700 I came from to pull the trigger). I liked a Carbon Scott Genius but too much money and still a little eh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Jester7677; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:09 AM.
    '14 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teartags View Post
    Just thought I 'd weigh in on converting the Conti Mtn. Kings that come on the '13s to tubeless. I DON'T ADVISE. I ran mine for a few months and had 3 different burps on the front. The last of which resulted in a pretty bad crash that I remarkably made it out of. The rear sidewall ripped on that one too rendering me with a double flat (and twisted stem, ripped out Reverb hose, etc) in the middle of nowhere.
    Those tires are not tubeless ready. The sidewalls are thin and the bead is not strong.
    All that said, I am 90% strength and 10% finesse rider in the Rock Mountains that likes speed. A more graceful rider on smoother trails might be fine...
    I haven't had issues with burping or torn sidewalls, however I still run pressures right around 30psi.

They don't hold air very well though. I had no problem seating the bead on the Stan's wheels with just a floor pump, but every time I ride I have to add air.

Maybe I need to add more sealant, I don't know.

I love tubeless though, I've pulled some nasty stuff out of the tires and they've sealed right up. Just the other day I pulled a sharp stick that must have been 1/8" out of the tread, and it sealed.

Still LOVING the bike though. Now that I can corner better, I'm trying to learn how to jump. I've never been much good at that, but it seems like this bike begs for it.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

'14 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r66 View Post
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Race Face 32t. Did you just do the ring, with a clutch rear derailleur?
    My creak started when the bike was 3 months old. Had the headset removed and greased. The noise went away. Here we are after 3 more months, and it has returned. My lbs thinks it's the fork. White Brothers says it's probably an OEM crownrace with a slit in it. I'm gonna try a new race. It's not a "bad" noise, it's just that crap like that drives me nuts.
    I just fixed a creak today. Turns out the bearing for the suspension pivot was loose. Of course it was a bit of a PITA as I had to remove the crankset and chain guide to get at the bolt.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I just fixed a creak today. Turns out the bearing for the suspension pivot was loose. Of course it was a bit of a PITA as I had to remove the crankset and chain guide to get at the bolt.

Booo, but I can relate. I'm finding that the Shop probably didn't put any Grease on some of the Outside Diameters that they should have. What do you expect. That'll be my winter tinkering.
    '14 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Reverb dropper for mine!

I think I got a pretty good deal if anyone else wants one..... Merlin cycles had them for $262.50, with an additional 10% off and free shipping = $236 shipped.

I can't wait to get it! Every ride I go on I think at some point "wow, this section here would be great with a dropper". I also just entered a 25mile race next weekend, I'm psyched for that as it's my first one. I't pretty flat, but mostly all rocks and roots. This bike will be great for that.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've had my 2014 horsethief 2 for a few months now so I'll give a quick review.

I'm just under 6'2" and feel the large fits great. I love the roomy feeling of the long top tube.
    This is my first 29er. Coming from a 120mm travil 26" bike the horsethief does everything better. It took me a few rides to get used to the big wheels but now I can't see myself going back. I've fooled around with the rear shock and right now I'm running almost 30% sag. The bike still climbs great, I'm more of a "sit and spin" climber and I don't notice any loss of power transfer. I do use the climb mode on smooth fireroads and the street.The rear suspension feels bottomless when going downhill. I like to think it feels more active when braking compared to my last bike. My local trails range from high speed rock gardens and blown out corners to smooth flowy trails. The long and slack geometry gives me confidence when speed picks up but the bike still feels lively and flickable when I need it to be. I think the 51mm offset fork and shortish chainstays attribute to this.
    Coming from 26" wheels one of the first things I noticed was the gain in grip. The rear tire never spins out on steep loose climbs and the front wheel feels planted in the loose corners.

I've swapped out a few components.
    I'm running a 60mm stem and 780mm wide bars. The cockpit is very comfy for me.
    I threw on my gravity dropper post and swapped the saddle.

The stock avid elixir 7's have been decent. I like the feel of them but they lack power compared to the shimanos on my last bike.
    The weakest component has been the fox fork. I've found it feels best to leave it in trail mode and run a bit less pressure than normal. It still blows through its travel but ramps up and I rarely use the last 20mm of travel. Think I'll send it to Push when it needs to be serviced.

A few weeks back I raced the local XC race on the 'thief and it felt great. It's not going to be as efficient and fast as a race bike but for a sport class racer like myself it was great.

Overall I've been super happy with this bike and recommend it to anyone in the market for a do-it-all 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

780mm bar! Wow, that's really wide!!

'14 Salsa Horsethief 2

mtbr member
    Just got a few more goodies for mine...

As stated above, the Reverb is on the way, I als picked up some Serfas ergo style grips from the LBS, and I have a EA70 685mm / 20 degree rise bar coming as well. It's about an inch and a half shorter than the stocker, which will hopefully cure the Queen Mary feeling on tight trails. And it's white too, which I think is gonna look great with the blue bike and white fork!

Unrelated question:

For those of you still running the stock Contis (tubeless), what pressures are you running?
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interested in the carbon frame coming out this fall. Does anyone know if it's a full carbon, or just front triangle? Looking at the pics, the rear triangle looks the same as the current frames - aluminum.

mtbr member

Winter Park Florida Horsethief!

This bike is just plain sick!!!WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-20140912_161358_5_bestshot.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Interested in the carbon frame coming out this fall. Does anyone know if it's a full carbon, or just front triangle? Looking at the pics, the rear triangle looks the same as the current frames - aluminum.
    You are correct. Front triangle is carbon and the rear triangle is aluminum.

There is a demo in my area this weekend. Can't wait to get on the carbon Horsethief and really looking forward to jumping on a Bucksaw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

my 2012

here is mine from Labor Day, rode part of segment 14 of the Colorado Trail at the Chalk Cliffs near Mt Princeton hot springs. All these 2014 split pivots are making me jealous...

Love the bike and BIG ups to Salsa, early this June I completely toasted the freehub body and contacted them, I was afraid my warranty was over since i got the bike on closeout. Had my LBS (Levi at YAWP!) take it apart and they sent a new rear hub free of charge and even paid to have the wheel relaced! Couldnt ask for better service!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4