Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Run a race face narrow nice and you will be fine

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    OGs allowed?

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Anybody try a 29x2.6 tire on the Horse Thief? I'd like to try the new Nobby Nic 2.6.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    All you horsethief owners out there, HELP!

Long story but I may end up getting a BOOST frameset due to a cracked BB on the 2015 non boost carbon bike I have (waaah). Question is, can I put the 2015 rear triangle on a Boost frame to hold off moving to BOOST for a little longer??? Did the pivot point dimensions/width, etc change when Salsa moved to BOOST?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Back2,

Yes, you can bolt up the old 142 C/S & S/S to the New F/T and Control Link. Hardware is even the same. Be sure to use blue thread lock on the pivot hardware when re-installing and follow the torque spec on page 7 of this document: http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/18...t_Update_F.pdf

-PK@SALSA

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks very much PK, that's great news. Hopefully you all can find me a bare front triangle and I'll be the happiest old guy around 👍🚲💥💥

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Anybody try a 29x2.6 tire on the Horse Thief? I'd like to try the new Nobby Nic 2.6.
    Are you asking about the pre-2016 models or the new ones? The new ones are identical frames to the Pony Rustlers so they can clear up to 3.0" in 27.5+, not sure about max width on 29" though.

I'm really curious what the max clearance is on the pre-2016 models though, mine came spec'd with 2.35 nobby nics and I'm curious how much (if any) wider I could go.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    Are you asking about the pre-2016 models or the new ones? The new ones are identical frames to the Pony Rustlers so they can clear up to 3.0" in 27.5+, not sure about max width on 29" though.

I'm really curious what the max clearance is on the pre-2016 models though, mine came spec'd with 2.35 nobby nics and I'm curious how much (if any) wider I could go.
    I do mean the new configuration. Yeah, I know that 27.5 x 3.0 works, but still wonder about the reasonable max width for 29er.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post

I can fit a 27.5 x 2.8 WTB Ranger in my non boost carbon HT but I do hear occasional tire rub BUZZ.... though it happens rare enough to ride them IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

This is my new setup with eagle and 27.5x3.0 NN and RoRo on i40 rims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Shock choice

Hey All,

Quick question on rear shock options for the pony/horsethief. I have a fox ctd factory on the bike now and I'm fairly happy with it. I also just got a new monarch rt3 that I'm thinking of trying out if it might be an upgrade OR just selling it brand new to get the $ for other things. How does the monarch compare to the fox on the split pivot? Anyone think I'm crazy for not immediately putting the monarch on and putting the fox on the bench?

Fork is a 130mm Pike RCT3 and both shocks have 3 position mode so either matches fairly well.

EXORCIZE
    I thought most brands tune the shock for use with a particular frame. If Salsa did that with this bike, the monarch probably won't match up as well as the ctd.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I thought most brands tune the shock for use with a particular frame. If Salsa did that with this bike, the monarch probably won't match up as well as the ctd.
    Agreed, but long story both shocks are oe takeoffs for this bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Hey All,

Quick question on rear shock options for the pony/horsethief. I have a fox ctd factory on the bike now and I'm fairly happy with it. I also just got a new monarch rt3 that I'm thinking of trying out if it might be an upgrade OR just selling it brand new to get the $ for other things. How does the monarch compare to the fox on the split pivot? Anyone think I'm crazy for not immediately putting the monarch on and putting the fox on the bench?

Fork is a 130mm Pike RCT3 and both shocks have 3 position mode so either matches fairly well.
    I've ridden both extensively (on my 3rd frame in 2 seasons due to warranty claims is why). Started with the Fox Float CTD Boost Valve Factory Series Kashima coated, then went to the Monarch Debonair RT3. Have both shocks in my possession right now and the Fox is back on as it's my preferred unit. Feel the Fox is just more plush across the travel range, although I still can't tune it to prevent bottoming out on the bigger hits. I know I can add more PSI, but that negatively affects upper range travel feel.

The Monarch is a great shock. I've tuned it for a few months, but can't get it just right. I like it in 'pedal' mode for tame trail riding, but the 'unlocked' position just isn't plush enough for me. Feel light I'm getting bucked around too much on the rowdy descents.

I'll probably put the Monarch on again this spring/summer and fiddle with the settings some more, but the Fox will be my primary shock.

FYI - front end has 120mm Pike. I'm 165ish with gear. Primarily ride rocky trails in PA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    I've ridden both extensively (on my 3rd frame in 2 seasons due to warranty claims is why). Started with the Fox Float CTD Boost Valve Factory Series Kashima coated, then went to the Monarch Debonair RT3. Have both shocks in my possession right now and the Fox is back on as it's my preferred unit. Feel the Fox is just more plush across the travel range, although I still can't tune it to prevent bottoming out on the bigger hits. I know I can add more PSI, but that negatively affects upper range travel feel.

The Monarch is a great shock. I've tuned it for a few months, but can't get it just right. I like it in 'pedal' mode for tame trail riding, but the 'unlocked' position just isn't plush enough for me. Feel light I'm getting bucked around too much on the rowdy descents.

I'll probably put the Monarch on again this spring/summer and fiddle with the settings some more, but the Fox will be my primary shock.

FYI - front end has 120mm Pike. I'm 165ish with gear. Primarily ride rocky trails in PA.
    Super helpful response, thank you! I guess for now I'll keep the Monarch as a backup and maybe send one of the two out to push/avalanche at some point when one of them is due for a full rebuild. I agree on the fox, I feel it's way more plush/smooth than any other shock I've ridden and I typically ride it in open mode with trail being more than firm enough to climb with on more buff, steep, long climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    I Feel the Fox is just more plush across the travel range, although I still can't tune it to prevent bottoming out on the bigger hits.
    I weight 160 lb and added a volume spacer to my Fox on my Horsethief. Then adjusted pressure to set the sag the same as it was before the volume spacer was installed. It resolved the bottoming issue and propped the back of the bike up a bit better on sustained climbs.

mtbr member
    Super helpful response, thank you! I guess for now I'll keep the Monarch as a backup and maybe send one of the two out to push/avalanche at some point when one of them is due for a full rebuild. I agree on the fox, I feel it's way more plush/smooth than any other shock I've ridden and I typically ride it in open mode with trail being more than firm enough to climb with on more buff, steep, long climbs.
    Funny. I had an aluminum horse thief XX1 with the fox factory ctd. I was never able to set it to give less feedback on g-outs and tinkered with it often but it was also my first full suspension. It felt like it somehow had too much rebound and not enough at the same time.

The bike was stolen and now I have a carbon pony rustler with the monarch rt3. It has performed much better for me but I can't say if any of it has to do with the different from materials or larger air can but I've been happier with every aspect of the shock.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Horsethief Fox CTD Rear Shock Upgrade or Rebuild?

Horsethief Owners - Looking for opinions and perspectives relating to a rear shock upgrade or rebuild (which company?) for my 14' HT Fox Float CTD. I have had Push rebuild two rear shocks for me (different bikes) with ho-hum results. Granted the rebuilds occurred 5 & 10 years ago, I am sure that their execution and technology has improved? Also looking at Avalanche Suspension but I believe that their turn-around times are long? Is there a different approach between the two and are their any other companies that will custom tune Fox Float shocks?

Alternatively has anyone experimented with a coil-over shock application with the DW Horsethief? MRP can custom build their Raze coil-over shock for the HT, but it is a $500+ proposition. I am not willing to gamble $500 on a configuration that could deliver regrettable results.

Experiences, opinions or anecdotal stories are welcomed!

mtbr member
    I am looking at getting a new old stock 2014 Horsethief. It comes with 2.35 Nobby Nic tires. I saw earlier in this forum that some said it will hold a 27.5 3" tire. I haven't found any confirmation of this on Salsa's site. It just says fits 2.35 tire. Has anyone had success going 27.5 3". I like this bike, but would like to be able to add plus tires for certain trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaSalsa View Post
    I am looking at getting a new old stock 2014 Horsethief. It comes with 2.35 Nobby Nic tires. I saw earlier in this forum that some said it will hold a 27.5 3" tire. I haven't found any confirmation of this on Salsa's site. It just says fits 2.35 tire. Has anyone had success going 27.5 3". I like this bike, but would like to be able to add plus tires for certain trails.
    The new 2016 and 2017 Boost spacing Horsethiefs def can fit 3s. The older ones, I am not sure but strongly suspect they cannot.

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a purdy white 16 Carbon HT and I run a trailboss 3.0 in my Pike up front. Out back I can run a WTB ranger 2.8 no problem, even if the wheels gets knocked a little out of true it's OK. 3.0 won't fit and even an aggressive side knob 2.8 (like Nobby Bic) r
    ubs. This is talking 650b wheels, of course. It's cool though because the NN 2,8 is a shit tire.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2014 frame coming and am trying to determine fork selection.
    From what I have read I should run a Pike at 120 mm or a Reba at 130 mm. From the Salsa site it says, similarly, Fox 32 130 mm or Fox 34 120mm.

Does this sound correct and why the difference?
    Thanks,

Joel

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I ran a pike at 120 with 51mm offset and just upped to 130. Liking 130, I just run a touch more sag and bottom out less.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks. Seemed like Salsa was saying that for warranty teasons (and warranty wouldn't apply to me).

If I read that correctly it sounds like you can increase the travel of a stock 120mm Pike to 130? Would give me the option to start with 130 & change later if I wanted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Changing travel on a Pike requires just a $30 airshaft, some snap ring pliers and new fluid. If you buy a 130 Pike I've got a 120 air shaft sitting around I'll sell you for $20.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sounds good--thanks!
    Thinking I may get a 120 to start.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    One other question--since the warranty doesn't apply in my case (not original owner) is there any reason not to start with a 130mm Pike?
    Looks like some people have been running forks up to 140 for a while and haven't heard of frame failures here.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anyone on the above question? Just want to have more options if I happen to find a used 130 vs 120 and want to run as-is.
    Doesn't seem like anyone's frame has self-destructed from running the longer forks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    Anyone on the above question? Just want to have more options if I happen to find a used 130 vs 120 and want to run as-is.
    Doesn't seem like anyone's frame has self-destructed from running the longer forks...
    I spoke to someone at Salsa a while back when I noticed they started speccing the 130mm Pike. Basically he said that the previous years frame weren't tested at that AC so they could not warranty it.

He said no changes were made between the aluminum frames other than the boost rear end...

Long story short, you should definitely run 130mm. I did on my Horesthief for 1000 miles without issue. Then the bike was stolen.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Great, thank you for that, it's very helpful.

It would be kind of cool if you could buy the boost rear end separately to upgrade an old frame but that's a whole other item.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg View Post
    Great, thank you for that, it's very helpful.

It would be kind of cool if you could buy the boost rear end separately to upgrade an old frame but that's a whole other item.
    I asked that too haha. I'm pretty sure you can but I might be wrong on that one.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    This is a bit of an older post but no way you'd able to run 27.5x3.0 on a 2014 HT. That's only for the 2016 and newer (boost) versions. The largest I've heard on the non-boost is poster earlier on this page who said he got 27.5x2.8 with some occasional rubbing.

The post about buying the AL boost rear end separately is interesting too but I'd guess an overall costly prospect especially if you don't already have a 27.5 wheelset lying around. As much as I'd love some extra rear end traction for my 2015 HT Carbon 1 I've accepted that 2.35 is as good as I'm going to get (and still a pretty great size overall).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Does anyone know if my XTM8000 1x non boost specific crankset will clear the Pony Rustler rear triangle....?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if my XTM8000 1x non boost specific crankset will clear the Pony Rustler rear triangle....?
    Not sure if this helps, but I'm running a standard RF Next SL crank on my mine.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

tightness

Well, it fit but it's close. With the suspension compressed it improves the clearance and I run 25-30% sag. I'm planning to ride it and see, thoughts?

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_20170505_191350.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well, it fit but it's close. With the suspension compressed it improves the clearance and I run 25-30% sag. I'm planning to ride it and see, thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170505_191350.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	1135670
    No clearance issues but under load in the largest 3-4 cogs the chain skips/shifts down. Chain, cassette, derailleur are all unchanged. Seems like it's most likely a chainline issue. Boost spacing crank should fix the problem or at least make it better?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Looking at a 2016 HT for my wife that's 5-4. I'm concerned it maybe too big for her. Website list 5-5 for small. No size range.

I assume that going to 27.5 would lower standover.
    Last edited by fiveo; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Looking at a 2106 HT for my wife that's 5-4. I'm concerned it maybe too big for her. Website list 5-5 for small. No size range.

I assume that going to 27.5 would lower standover.
    27.5 wheels with 2.6-2.8 tires might be just perfect

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Looking at a 2106 HT for my wife that's 5-4. I'm concerned it maybe too big for her. Website list 5-5 for small. No size range.
    Looks like a screw-up on Salsa's website. They normally give size ranges, and have for pre-2017 HT models. It should say 5'5" - 5'9". If you look at the 2016 model (which you said you were shopping) in their archived pages, it lists this range.

This frame was designed with a moderate reach and relatively long stem, so would probably be fine with ~40mm stem (stock is 60mm). Standover is another issue - not the HT's strong suit (to put it nicely).

If Salsa makes a XS FS bike, I'm unaware of it, so I feel free to suggest something like the S Tallboy: shorter headtube/seat tube/standover/chainstay, available in alum or carbon, more kit options, well reviewed, lifetime warranty I think.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks. I was a little worried about the stand over. Thinking maybe start looking at 27.5 or 27.5+ bikes instead of a 29 for her

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123