Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wished I had known that a few weeks ago when I ordered the fork cut to 130mm. Will hopefully receive my HT frame next week. Even though I with my 175lbs I will be far easier on the frame with a 540 A2C than a 300lbs rider at 530 I guess I have to remove another 10mm to not void the warranty...

Got 3 tokens now. Did you bottom out or why did you change to 4?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter E View Post
    Got 3 tokens now. Did you bottom out or why did you change to 4?
    I prefer to run slightly lower air pressure with more LSC damping to get a really supple feel but keep the fork tall. The extra token helps it ramp up more at the end of the stroke since my initial starting pressure is lower that recommended. (We're talking all of 5psi)

-pk@salsa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarf View Post
    528-532mm A2C x 51 offset is the acceptable, tested, and certified fork range for the new Split Pivot Horsethief
    Are there any 34mm stanchion options out there besides the Pike, Revelation and Fox that fit in that range?

mtbr member
    528-532mm A2C x 51 offset is the acceptable, tested, and certified fork range for the new Split Pivot Horsethief frame. Unlike the previous version of the frame, we did not test or certify the new frame for a 140mm length fork. Please do not use a fork resulting in a longer A2C than stated above. Doing so will void your frame warranty.

Pike, Revelation, & Fox 34 must be run at 120mm travel.
    Fox 32 & Reba should be run at 130mm.

Pike @ 120 is real good, in my testing experience. Be sure to use at least 3 bottom out tokens.

-pk@salsa
    Does this mean the 2015 Fox Float 36 would be acceptable at the right travel?

The A2C is 557.1mm on the 150mm travel.

That means this would be 537.1 or 527.1 at 130mm or 120mm. (+/- 5mm)

Any reason this would be a particularly good/bad fork? It's lighter than even the Float 34 and supports 20mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    Does this mean the 2015 Fox Float 36 would be acceptable at the right travel?

The A2C is 557.1mm on the 150mm travel.

That means this would be 537.1 or 527.1 at 130mm or 120mm. (+/- 5mm)

Any reason this would be a particularly good/bad fork? It's lighter than even the Float 34 and supports 20mm.
    Yes, 120mm would technically be OK, although crown clearance has not been verified for this new model. Just keep it under 532mm. Shorter is always OK in terms of frame integrity/warranty, but at some point the rider needs to consider the effects of a shorter fork on the intended ride characteristics and BB height. 527mm will not be a problem.

-pk@salsa

mtbr member
    Yes, 120mm would technically be OK, although crown clearance has not been verified for this new model. Just keep it under 532mm. Shorter is always OK in terms of frame integrity/warranty, but at some point the rider needs to consider the effects of a shorter fork on the intended ride characteristics and BB height. 527mm will not be a problem.

-pk@salsa
    Awesome! The 2015 36mm Fox Float is actually lighter than the Float 34, and both 15mm and 20mm axles (and adapters) come with the fork. I'm going to try to speak with Fox, but I'm hoping it will work at least as well as the Float 34.

You mentioned crown clearance has not been verified. What would I need to confirm with Fox to know there won't be any issues?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    We check components like this for fit in the computer and then again physically before we can officially say they are "compatible". Neither has happened for the new 36 yet. It's ultra-new and a little off our radar being a longer travel fork. I'm not even sure it can be down-converted to shorter travel without messing up the spring rate curves. I would assume it could be, but like Pike, would probably need a new 120-specific length air spring piston assembly and spacer to adjust the spring rate curve appropriately???....good luck, hope you get it sorted.

-pk@salsa

mtbr member
    We check components like this for fit in the computer and then again physically before we can officially say they are "compatible". Neither has happened for the new 36 yet. It's ultra-new and a little off our radar being a longer travel fork. I'm not even sure it can be down-converted to shorter travel without messing up the spring rate curves. I would assume it could be, but like Pike, would probably need a new 120-specific length air spring piston assembly and spacer to adjust the spring rate curve appropriately???....good luck, hope you get it sorted.

-pk@salsa
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I spoke with Fox on the phone and it sounds like they tried to make the Fox 36 match the geometry of the Fox 34 as much as possible.

They will have spacers, and the person I spoke with was of the impression that the volume spacers (come with the fork) for the air chamber and travel spacers (do not come with the fork) are all all you would need. You do move the inner shaft up a slot for each spacer, but it sounds fairly easy to get the Fox 36 to run at 120mm with, within a few millimeters, the same geometry as the Fox 34.

Sounds like it might be worth waiting a few weeks for?

mtbr member
    I'm considering a HT as my next 29er the geo seems to be spot on and all the other details are great. The only thing that I'm a little unsure about it the available fork options. I would like to buy the frame only and get a fork that doesn't change the bikes geometry but still is a decent trail fork. I would consider the RS Revelation RCT3 as being the right choice but the 130mm version still has an axle to crown of 539mm which is 9mm higher than recommended..
    Any comments/recommendation on this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bliz2z View Post
    I'm considering a HT as my next 29er the geo seems to be spot on and all the other details are great. The only thing that I'm a little unsure about it the available fork options. I would like to buy the frame only and get a fork that doesn't change the bikes geometry but still is a decent trail fork. I would consider the RS Revelation RCT3 as being the right choice but the 130mm version still has an axle to crown of 539mm which is 9mm higher than recommended..
    Any comments/recommendation on this?
    You're outside of the warranty at that point. I looked at a lot of Fox options, as well as the Revelation and Pike, and after the time/cost/effort that goes into making the Fox 34 or 36 or the Revelation 120mm, it was worth it, for me, to just buy a 120mm Pike.

Tree Fort Bikes sells a 120mm Revelation:
    Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 120 29" MaxleLite15 Diff Black Tapered 51 Offset in Tree Fort Bikes Forks (cat82)

But their price was actually a little bit more than I was able to get my 120mm Pike for.

I'd recommend going with an A2C that's both within the warranty and geometry design. Not sure the 9mm would be a noticeable difference for you, but I want to make sure I'm covered should I ever experience any issues.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input.
    I wasn't aware that a 120mm Revelation with 51mm offset exists. Anyway I sent two shops over here (Europe) an inquiry if they can lower the travel of a Pike RCT3 51 to 120mm for me. I think that would be the perfect fork for the frame.
    The A2C should be 531mm in that case, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bliz2z View Post
    Thanks for your input.
    I wasn't aware that a 120mm Revelation with 51mm offset exists. Anyway I sent two shops over here (Europe) an inquiry if they can lower the travel of a Pike RCT3 51 to 120mm for me. I think that would be the perfect fork for the frame.
    The A2C should be 531mm in that case, correct?
    I thought the 51mm offset Pike was 530mm with 120mm of travel, but we're talking about a rounding error or acceptable variance at that point.

The following from Zarf from Salsa should make you feel good about a Pike if that's what you're considering:

528-532mm A2C x 51 offset is the acceptable, tested, and certified fork range for the new Split Pivot Horsethief frame. Unlike the previous version of the frame, we did not test or certify the new frame for a 140mm length fork. Please do not use a fork resulting in a longer A2C than stated above. Doing so will void your frame warranty.

Pike, Revelation, & Fox 34 must be run at 120mm travel.
    Fox 32 & Reba should be run at 130mm.

Pike @ 120 is real good, in my testing experience. Be sure to use at least 3 bottom out tokens.

-pk@salsa

mtbr member
    Have I mentioned that my Horsethief goes up technical rocky stuff amazingly well? I just felt like saying that. Still happy!

mtbr member
    mine does to and I'm glad I got my horsethief
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-13.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-12.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-8.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-9.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-10.jpg2013 Horsethief 2, bought in January, from Big Kahuna Bicycles. Couldn't resist the fantastic deal on the leftover model. Probably have over 1000 miles on it now. Immediately (like, before I even sat on it) dumped the Elixirs for SLX. Now set up with tubeless Racing Ralph 2.25. If your riding conditions allow, I recommend this setup. This bike will really haul the mail now! Super fast downhill, and much easier to lug up climbs than the OEM Contis. Great, great bike. Really like the White Brothers fork too, though I'm chasing a small creak, which I actually think is the headset/crown race.

mtbr member
    these are all really good looking bikes. I ditched my elixir brakes for xt brakes I put a maxxis icon on the rear and set tire tubeless also put a raceface 30t n/w on it for 1x10 I really like getting out and trying harder trails the bike just begs for more. I also have a creak/squeak noise can't tell if it's front hub or bottom bracket.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Race Face 32t. Did you just do the ring, with a clutch rear derailleur?
    My creak started when the bike was 3 months old. Had the headset removed and greased. The noise went away. Here we are after 3 more months, and it has returned. My lbs thinks it's the fork. White Brothers says it's probably an OEM crownrace with a slit in it. I'm gonna try a new race. It's not a "bad" noise, it's just that crap like that drives me nuts.

mtbr member
    yes just the ring and a Shimano slx shadow plus Rd. a lot of people say you don't even need the clutched derailleur
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Has anyone been able to ride both a <2013 and 2014 HT? Curious how much of a difference there is in the new frame design. I was one of the lucky ones who got a 2013 on sale last year from Universal and really liking it but always looking for a reason to upgrade.

mtbr member

This thing is amazing!

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4775a.jpg

I detailed my build here, but now that it's done, I figured I would share a photo of my favorite bike.

Frame: 2014 Horsethief size L
    Fork: Pike RCT3 120mm
    Front/Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT (medium cage, Shadow+)
    Cassette: 11-36 XT
    Chain: CN-HG95
    Crankset: 38/24 XT
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS44/56
    Stem: Sette Avanti (cheap, 90mm, -7 degree, allows me to run 30mm of spacers in case I want to raise the bar)
    Handlebar: Answer Expert DH 780mm (currently 780mm)
    Grips: Sette Lock-on
    Shifter: XT
    Brakes: XT
    Rotors: RT86 (180mm front, 160mm back)
    Seatpost: Sette Edge (400 mm, 0 offset)
    Saddle: SDG Ti-Fly C
    Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger Pros (with 12 x 142mm adapter)
    Tires: Ardent 2.4 EXO (front), Ardent 2.25 TR (rear)
    Pedals: VP-Vice w/ Ti Axle
    Complete Bike Weight: 13.5 Kg / 29.7 lbs.

Feeling very good about building it myself. The brake cables are uncut and need to be shortened, I may shorten the handlebars, and I will potentially upgrade the seatpost and stem once I'm clearer on what I want for each, but otherwise, this bike is exactly how I want it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Re: WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-uploadfromtaptalk1405121952280.jpg

tye
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I went from a Giant Reign 2 to the 2014 Horsethief 2 recently and wow this bike is confidence inspiring! This is my first 29er and I was comfortable the first ride.
    Great climber and awesome downhill bike. Perfect bike for Tahoe area trails.
    This is still all stock , I plan on putting a low rise bar and maybe a seat dropper soon.
    I have a creaking sound in a lower pivot or the bb I will have to bring it to the shop and have them squash that soon it can be annoying on climbs. WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-1-1-.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-2.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Finished my build today. Did a short run in the rain and it felt pretty amazing. Can't wait to get it on a proper trail in the Alps.
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_0709.jpg
    Frame Salsa Horsethief large, Fox Float CTD
    Fork Rock Shox Pike RC3 51 120mm
    Seatpost RockShox Reverb Stealth 125mm
    Sattle Selle Italia SLR XC Flow
    Drivetrain SRAM X01
    Brakes Shimano XTR Trail
    Discs Shimano XTR Trail
    Tires Maxxis DHR II
    Handlebar Easton Havoc Carbon
    Stem Easton 55mm
    Grips Lizzard Skins DSP black
    Wheels DT Swiss SplineOne XM1501 29
    Pedals Shimano XT
    Headset Cane Creek 40

mtbr member
    Wow. Wow wow wow. I can't believe how good this bike felt the first time out. Horsethief is such a fitting name, this bike wants you to ride it like you stole it. Strava failed on me twice on my two plus hours out there, so I didn't see any of my times to compare to my XC bike, but I felt very, very fast, especially on downhill sections.

The front wheel wants to come up easily, which is not a criticism, just an observation. It does mean the bike goes fully airborne much easier than my XC bike. It handles amazing, and confidence inspiring is a great way to describe it. One of the things that shocks me the most is how good the bike feels immediately. I threw my seat back (I have very long arms, and I'm 6'2" on 20" Horsethief) and used a 90mm stem to mimic the XL build cockpit, with a 780mm handlebar. I don't want to tweak it. It already feels more natural than my current bike.

I had a feeling that when Salsa was being so specific with their A2C recommendation, basically giving you 4mm to play with, they were on to something special, and I was going to replicate it with the Pike fitting the bike exactly as they desired. I don't know if changing anything would ruin the magic, but the bike was phenomenal today. I don't even know what the right superlatives would be. I just wish I could see how my ride on my first time out at a local trail compares to how I normally ride there to see where I was faster and more capable, and where I just felt faster and more capable.

Photos, right? Here we go:
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4786a.jpg

Waiting for my buddy on lap two, I found some wild raspberries that I started eating before I decided it might make a good photos:
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4787a.jpg

I made some tweaks, minute adjustments to the brake and shifters to make all three levers on each side as natural as possible, and adjusted a limit screw on the front derailleur, but otherwise, the bike was incredible.

My only concern/question is the rear shock travel. I've got my rear shock set for 200 psi (190 + 10) and my front shock (Pike) set for 90 psi (a 190 lbs rider). Riding in Decend/wide open on both, which I believe is what Salsa recommends for the rear shock below 200 lbs, here what my travel looked like:

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4788a.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4789a.jpg
    I'm using almost all, if not all, of my rear travel, but have plenty to spare on my front fork.

Should I be concerned? Add air to my rear fork (which the LBS said just a tad less than the recommended sag)? Take air out of my Pike? It is just part of braking in one or both shocks? The front and rear both felt good, but today was a much less aggressive trail than what I actually bought the bike for, although I road very aggressively today.

Any ideas?

Edit: I used my RockShox pump that came with the Pike instead of my Manitou to reduce pressure and then reinflate both the rear shock and fork. Tried to put the same PSI in both, but ended up with a touch more travel from the Pike, so maybe my Manitou overinflated my Pike. (The LBS used their pump on the rear suspension initially, so it looks like that was properly inflated.)
    Last edited by peteer01; 07-15-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

mtbr member
    Things my 2014 Horsethief doesn't do:

• Automatically change direction while airborne to avoid trees
    • Automatically make the rider's skill level and technique better
    • Improve the rider's decision making process

Had my first two crashes today. I road all out at a local trail to see what the bike can do, and I still have no legitimate negative things to say about the bike! (Hence the joke list above)

I definitely had some hairy moments, some bad line decisions and carrying too much speed at times, but a few scratches and a huge grin are all I have to show for it.

Ended up with the second best time on a 2.4 mile loop I didn't know had a strava segment (I don't normally care about comparing my time to others, just racing myself) which was a nice surprise to see, and confirms I was going as fast as I thought I was. That loop was actually where I grazed a tree with my left hand and handlebar, and then later went over the handlebars, my only two crashes on the bike so far. No interest in trying to improve on that time, I was definitely flying, just trying to see how fast I could get back to the parking lot without a break.

I likely won't be able to ride it again until next weekend. That seems so far away.
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast