Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....

'14 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I just purchased a 2014 close out
    Got it for a real good price
    I love it so far
    It does everything well

one sick puppy
    Where are they having closeouts on the Horsethief? Thanks
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....

My LBS had one

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    New 2014 HT 1, love the bike. Great geometry, cush descending however can't tell the difference with the fox C and T and D on the rear. Way too soft during climbing, set up per sag rec about 30% in the rear, then stiffened it up and still too soft during climbing. Anyone else?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=silasandeli;11534689]New 2014 HT 1, love the bike. Great geometry, cush descending however can't tell the difference with the fox C and T and D on the rear. Way too soft during climbing, set up per sag rec about 30% in the rear, then stiffened it up and still too soft during climbing. Anyone else?[/QUOTE

Im coming from a cross country bike so I knew I had to get used to it but it climbs well for as slack as it is. I keep mine in trail mode the whole time and it climbs try scooting up on the seat for steep climbs and maybe switch to climb mode to get more of a locked out feel. May have to set sag higher as you mentioned. It is definitely an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Im coming from a cross country bike so I knew I had to get used to it but it climbs well for as slack as it is. I keep mine in trail mode the whole time and it climbs try scooting up on the seat for steep climbs and maybe switch to climb mode to get more of a locked out feel. May have to set sag higher as you mentioned. It is definitely an awesome bike.
    Coming from a hard tail, I keep both in full descend, all the time, but I also ride in the NE where rocks and roots thrive. I never feel like I'm being robbed of any power or any bobbing unless I'm standing and pedaling up a super steep section and I'm about to stall. For me, I just set it and appreciate it as its actively working 95% of the time...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    '14 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht.jpg

My 2014 Horsethief
    Medium frame, Pike, Reverb, Crest/Hope Wheels, Sram gearing, RF cranks, Ergon grips and saddle

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter E View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HT.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	934072

My 2014 Horsethief
    Medium frame, Pike, Reverb, Crest/Hope Wheels, Sram gearing, RF cranks, Ergon grips and saddle
    Peter- is that Pike a 140? Looking hard a Horsethief 1 Carbon (I love purple) but a 140mm Pike would void the warranty based on its axle to crown.

****EDIT

Sorry, read through the forum (imagine that!) looks like everyone who's doing a Pike on these guys is running it at 120mm.

H
    Last edited by hjulier; 11-06-2014 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	614 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	934072

My 2014 Horsethief
    Looks sweet Peter! Love the PIKE on there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes it's a Pike set at 120. Looks taller in this photo

Personally I think it's a little strange that Salsa did not test this frame with a 140mm +34mm stanchion fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes it's a Pike set at 120. Looks taller in this photo

Personally I think it's a little strange that Salsa did not test this frame with a 140mm +34mm stanchion fork.
    I could not agree more.

Never enough time to ride

Built this up just in time for sub zero temps and snow...hoping for nicer weather in the near future.

happy trails...

Squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member

Just picked up from universal cycles. 13 horse thief. Have to say. Most fun bike I have ever ridden. Just sold an ibis ripely and this bike is a lot more fun. Couldn't beat the price. $659 for frame and fox ctdk. Put my pike and is lev dropper on it. Love this bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago VerHauen SS
    Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Question about sizing. I am 6' 2.5" with a 36 cycling inseam. Coming off an xl on-one inbred. I am wondering if those taller folks who ride a 2014 HT think I can get away with a size L horsethief ?
    LBS has a very good deal on a size L 2014 but no XL to compare. They put a longer stem on it and it seems to feel decent. Definately smaller feel than the inbred but I have riser bars on the inbred that puts the bars level with the seat. Bars are lower in the HT. I am a large guy at 240lbs . On paper it seems to fit but just wondering if anyone around my height tried both and chose the L with positive results.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by PEIGUY View Post
    Question about sizing. I am 6' 2.5" with a 36 cycling inseam. Coming off an xl on-one inbred. I am wondering if those taller folks who ride a 2014 HT think I can get away with a size L horsethief ?
    LBS has a very good deal on a size L 2014 but no XL to compare. They put a longer stem on it and it seems to feel decent. Definately smaller feel than the inbred but I have riser bars on the inbred that puts the bars level with the seat. Bars are lower in the HT. I am a large guy at 240lbs . On paper it seems to fit but just wondering if anyone around my height tried both and chose the L with positive results.
    I'm 6'3 and heavier than you, think my inseam is less than yours. I've got about 100 miles on my new 2014 XL HT 1 and so far it feels right to me. They had a large but I never even tried throwing a leg over it so I can't comment. I had a XL Spearfish for 3 years and figured XL was gonna be right for me.

I also have an XL On One Scandal so I gotta think we run about the same.

We just started a Horesethief Facebook group, if anyone on here is a Facebook user... Please join!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1545299759042311/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks cobi, that is what I thought, appreciate the response. I passed on the size L as I just thought it was a little to small. Too bad it was a super deal. $2200 Canadian for a HT2 new. Hard to find a used one at that price. If anyone wants an L , Mikes bike shop in moncton , NB has a great deal on their remaining 2014 HT's and Spearfish

shut up legs

New HT2 Owner!

I also got mine on closeout from Universal Cycles($1799)

It's sweet and rides great!! I have already changed out some of the components with the money I saved.

Thomson seatpost, stem and bars
    Blue Salsa QR seat post clamp
    SRAM XX 2x10 twist shifters
    Spur Cycles Grip Rings
    Kustom Kaps top cap
    Ergon Saddle

Haven't decided on the next step, pretty good right here.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-10901361_10205760852597850_1263445006_o.jpg
    Last edited by MTSHANK; 02-19-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '15 Advocate Watchman | '15 Advocate Hayduke | '93 Giant ATX 760

mtbr member
    Hello guys!
    Has anyone tried to ride HF with a B+ wheel? Will it fit?

First of all I get interested in split pivot frames, as I have now old (2012) one.
    It doesnt fit, too small chainstay clearance.

shut up legs
    Quote Originally Posted by maxus View Post
    Hello guys!
    Has anyone tried to ride HF with a B+ wheel? Will it fit?

First of all I get interested in split pivot frames, as I have now old (2012) one.
    It doesnt fit, too small chainstay clearance.
    not that I know of yet...CS/SS clearances are tight!
    '15 Salsa Bucksaw | '15 Advocate Lorax | '15 Advocate Watchman | '15 Advocate Hayduke | '93 Giant ATX 760

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Anyone running a 150mm dropper on their Horsethief? I have a medium HTc1 and curious if another 30mm in post length is an issue as I know the Tompson post is 400mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hope this post helps a few others, I was able to find some information elsewhere.

The seat post tube depth on my HTc1 size medium is 235mm (+/- 5mm) from the top of the tube to the bend.

I measured my Thomson Elite seat post (31.6mm x 367mm) and found I have the Thomson post inserted into the seat post tube 137mm leaving 230mm from the top of the seat post tube to the seat clamp.

Using the chart below I found to get a 230mm clamp height on the 150m Reverb (same as the Thomson post installed) I need to insert the Reverb post 200mm into the tube leaving 10mm above the top of the seat post tube to get my desired seat height, not much leeway. The 150mm dropper should work and result in getting the seat about 25mm lower than the 125mm dropper when it is down all the way.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-dropperpost.jpg

mtbr member
    I picked up my first MTB after 11+ years. 2014 Horsethief 2. Lime green. Haven't gotten to really ride it yet but soon...

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    This was a teaser from my LBS. I'm picking her up on Saturday and can't wait!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-image.jpg  

If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a carbon Horsethief 1. You will NOT be disappointed.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    Today was the first ride on her! It's such a fantastic bike! I was happily amazed that it's only 26 lbs. with a totally stock build and tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_1025.jpg  

mtbr member

Finally got the racks!

Racks are annoying to install on this car. Seems pretty stable? This is my first bike in over 10 years. Let's see if I can't kill myself.
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-11138999_10152845052911446_3059116138568032763_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Picked up a 2013 yesterday!

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_0238.jpg

Edit: First ride today!

Name:  ckQr6EUm.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  20.8 KB
    Last edited by Wisconsinite762; 04-14-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief - Full Squish
    2013 Trek Marlin - Hard Tail
    Motobecane Lurch - Fatty

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm looking into this frame as my next full susser and have a couple questions for you owners.

1. Anybody have a frame weight on the aluminum or carbon frame? Don't know why they don't post info on this type of thing. I saw a review that speculated 6.5lbs for the aluminum version but that seems awfully optimistic to me.

2. Sizing, my current hardtail has a 450mm reach which is spot on perfect for me. I'm only 5'11" but I'd want a size large for the reach measurement. I'd rather not have the long seat tube but the standover is still adequate. What sizes are people my height running?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Salsa graciously got back to me so I thought I'd share.

Horsethief AL in size L: 3005g

Horsethief Carbon in size L: 2765g

He also noted that the stiffness and acceleration between the carbon and the aluminum is a night and day difference.

I'm pretty much between this and the upcoming canfield riot for my next bike. Just waiting to see how canfield's geometry pans out.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    im 5'10" on a good day and just got a medium Carbon 1. It fits me perfectly, but im glad it isn't any smaller. A large probably would be right for you.
    I'm sure the Canfield will be a fun bike but this Horsethief is pretty damn awesome. I've been riding it like it's stolen! :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm curious about how much abuse the HT can take. Is anyone using it more as a light all mountain rig (drops, jumps, etc.)? Also what is the BB height on the HT? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Not used to the whole BB drop thing. Last, is anyone running a 130 pike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    In terms of abuse, I know a guy that rides hard and drops off nearly any opportunity presented and spent a whole season on a HF and what broke was a Derby fatty rim. The frameset held up just fine.
    Last edited by edofloat; 04-22-2015 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Thinking of a 2015 carbon build... Anybody want to add anything? Not much info out there yet.....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

meow meow
    any chance of getting a b+ wheel in the rear triangle? can anyone take some measurements?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkwat View Post
    I'm curious about how much abuse the HT can take. Is anyone using it more as a light all mountain rig (drops, jumps, etc.)? Also what is the BB height on the HT? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Not used to the whole BB drop thing. Last, is anyone running a 130 pike?
    I've got a 130mm pike on my 2014 model HT, it was a HUGE. upgrade from the stock fox fork. I've been riding mine pretty hard and it hasn't let me down at all. My riding partner has a 27.5 trek slash with 160mm travel front and rear and I can hang with him on the downhills and tech stuff with ease, then I blow him away on the climbs. I haven't taken it off any drops higher than around 3ft, but it has been flawless on everything I've thrown at it. I've found that the harder you push this bike, the better it performs.
    As far as the bb height, I'm not sure, but I live in Arizona and deal with A LOT of rock gardens, boulders, deep washes , tight rocky single track and all sorts of chunky stuff and haven't hit anything with the bb shell, but I still get an "in the bike feel" it is a very stable bike that responds very well to body movement. In my opinion it's a very any trail worthy bike, it simply does everything well

mtbr member
    Nice reply leearjr... Keep that stuff coming...Going to order one soon. Live in Colorado and that bike sounds perfect....

mtbr member
    Still loving my XL 2014 HT1. I'm 6'3.5" and it is just right but it is a big bike for sure. It has really improved both my steep downhill riding and technical uphill riding coming off a Giant Anthem X 29. The Giant was a nice XC/endurance race bike but the HT is a real trail bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the replies! Everything you all have mentioned confirms my impressions of the bike. I have no doubt that it is robust. Still can't seem to find any info on the bb height. I would really like to know and it seems odd that Salsa doesn't publish it.

mtbr member
    The BB drop is 1.4". That is center of the axle to center of the BB. The actual BB height would depend upon the tires and BB diameter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Twowheelchri thanks for the reply. I saw on the website where they listed the drop. I think that it's odd that they don't list BB height on the stock builds. Most other bike manufactures list BB height and it would make it easier to compare bikes if Salsa followed suit. Not a big deal, I'm just curious.

mtbr member
    Custom built Small 2014 Horsethief. Bought the frame and fork from Pro Bike Supply in Newport Beach CA (www.probikesuply.com). Awesome customer service btw!! Frame came in at 2790 grams, super light weight for a aluminum frame! Final weight w/o pedals is 26.65 lbs! I may swap out the crank for a raceface carbon crank effectively dropping the weight in the 25lb range.
    This is my second HT, i originally had a 2012 HT. The first one was a blast to ride, the only thing I find different between the two is that, on the new 14 HT, I no longer have to switch the rear lockout during climbs. Front end feels WAY lighter when you want the lift the front to clear large roots. The 14 HT also handles super tight twisties with ease! The HT does not feel like a normal 29er, but more like a 26er, insane!
    Majority of the trails I ride are rock gardens....fast rock gardens! Some days I wished I had 200mm of travel due to the super rough terrain, but the HT is still very much in control and predictable. On the climbs, I keep the suspension in full open, actually works better than closed. First i had it in the closed position and found myself loosing traction over loose and muddy rocks. I initially blamed the tires for bad traction in the rocky and muddy trail, but after switching the rear shock to full open, I gained a noticeable amount of traction...wow! Enjoy the photos below!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-horsethief_v2.jpg
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Noah-

Is that a Stage fork? At 130, does it fit into the A-C specs for the frame?

Might be my next upgrade . . .

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ru-tang View Post

Is that a Stage fork? At 130, does it fit into the A-C specs for the frame?
    Yes, and no. It is a Stage, but at 130 the fork is 538mm in length. So it's over the 532mm length they say is the maximum, but so is the fork they spec on the carbon Horsethief 1 - a Revelation 130mm, which is also 538mm.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorBo View Post
    Just picked up from universal cycles. 13 horse thief. Have to say. Most fun bike I have ever ridden. Just sold an ibis ripely and this bike is a lot more fun. Couldn't beat the price. $659 for frame and fox ctdk. Put my pike and is lev dropper on it. Love this bike!

Hello...Can you comment anymore about being better then the Ripley? Was looking at that bike as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    any chance of getting a b+ wheel in the rear triangle? can anyone take some measurements?
    B+ prototype at SOC. Utilises carbon front triangle similar to HT. Not sure when it would be available to the masses though.

Sea Otter 2015 | Salsa 27.5+ Trailbike Prototype | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-picture-3.jpg

That is a stellar looking bike! Reminds me of my '12 with the color of frame and white fork, but that above bike looks way meaner. I really like my '12 HT, but it's a big bike for me (5'11" size large), and I am looking for a medium frame. Anyway, I think a 26+ version of a horsethief would be the one (dirtythief, horsewizard).
    Huh? What?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OperatorBo View Post

Ohh that's awesome another Horsethief owner in the Ogden Area! Here is my 2013 build also. Hopefully we'll see each other on the BST one day.
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-2015-05-14-18.20.11.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've got a '12 HT running original Flow EXs, float 34 stretched to 140mm. Tossed a DBinline on this season and it has been a blast. It's held up to a ton of abuse. I'm 6'4" 200lb and have 2,500 miles on the bike. Its been all over CO front range, Keystone Bike Park, Fruita (HT bench!) GJ (Lunch Loops), Moab (Whole enchilada, Ahab) and it hasn't let me down. Also put on a reverb, 60mm stem, 780 bars, 34x10 with 42 one-up, and XT brakes. Its a perfect all around bike.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-photo.png

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm the sizing. I'm 5'8 and usually ride a medium. The geo says I should be on a small. Any comments would help a lot.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2015 Horsethief Carbon 1

I'll revive this old thread. Been riding a 2015 Horsethief Carbon 1 for about a month now and it gets better with every ride.WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht.jpg

I wound up with the handlebar at the top of the steerer tube and have about killed myself in wet conditions on the stock Nobby Nics, but damn is this thing fun to ride.

Coming from a hardtail 29er to the HT has been a dream. Anyone else riding the Carbon 1?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehosephat View Post
    I'll revive this old thread. Been riding a 2015 Horsethief Carbon 1 for about a month now and it gets better with every ride.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	204 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	998213

I wound up with the handlebar at the top of the steerer tube and have about killed myself in wet conditions on the stock Nobby Nics, but damn is this thing fun to ride.

Coming from a hardtail 29er to the HT has been a dream. Anyone else riding the Carbon 1?
    Nice! Is that a L or an XL? Strongly considered this over the Evil but I ended up with the Evil. It was a tough choice though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was right in between sizes and there were no XLs available in Salsa warehouses. I figured the L would feel a touch more nimble. I'm still dialing in the cockpit, but it's getting there. I made a few adjustments since I took this pic.: raised the bar to be above the last spacer, put on my old ergon grips and tilted the seat forward a bit. Those minor adjustments helped a lot. I'll ride it awhile. If I need to make any more adjustments, it would probably be to swap out the Rustler bars for something with more rise.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Anybody in a Large and wanting to size down? I've got a 2014 horsethief in Medium with pike fork and 1x11. Looking to move up to Large. I need the Reach.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You may want to check out the Horsethief group on Facebook. Might be someone there who fits the bill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Can anyone confirm the sizing. I'm 5'8 and usually ride a medium. The geo says I should be on a small. Any comments would help a lot.....
    5'7" here, I ride a size small. 740 wide bars / 60mm stem. Some days I feel a bit stretched out, most days it feels spot on. I always ride a size medium stumpjumper. The small is close to a medium spez or medium Santa Cruz.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Compare the reach measurement to geo on a frame you do feel comfortable on...I got nearly 2 inches more reach out of the medium horsethief compared to my old medium tallboy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Has anyone tried a 650b+ wheel set on this frame yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Could some of you HT owners make a big favor for me: Measure your actual BB height (floor to center of BB) and report it back here? Please. And don't forget to tell what tyres you had installed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Split Pivot Horsethief doesn't seem to be generating a lot of excitement, with owners, on the internet, there's not a lot of chatter about it. I have been looking for my first FS and have been trying out several. After demoing a couple of bikes at this years DirtFest I kept coming back to the Horsethief as the bike I enjoyed the most. I just couldn't decide on a small or medium. I'm about 5'8" and according to Salsa's sizing chart I should be on the small but the guys at the demo kept putting me on a medium. I tried both and really couldn't tell the difference when riding. I'm currently on a small Karate Monkey and have been doing fine but maybe I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love my horsethief. I'm 5'11" and am happy on a medium. And don't let the lack of enthusiasm on the internet sway you, it is a fantastic bike. I did a lot of demo rides on high end bikes and ended up here

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    May I ask which high end bikes and what size stem do you use?

On paper, the Horsethief is everything I want. External cable routing on top of the downtube, external routing for my favourite dropper (LEV), the "right" geometry for my intensions, no proprietary shock etc. Salsa makes all the right choises, keeping things simple for the user and focusing on the right things it seems. Also between sizes as 5'8,5" but I'd probably go for the Medium 'cause my local dealer has one white carbon on his shelf! Would prefer the RockShox shock though. Fox has always disappointed me.

For the record, have a Pivot 429c and a Specialized Camber Evo but somehow this bike keeps haunting me!

mtbr member
    Going to pull the trigger on new carbon xtr package bike. Been saving my pennies so it has been a while to come up with the cash. SWEEEET!

mtbr member
    Only one short ride so far. This is a FUN, forgiving bike.

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_0769.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow ...that is sweet!!! Spent some coin on that, but it is awesome...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Dayum, that is sweet. Such a great ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Brentos - sweet whip. I have a very similar build (Carbon HT, Pike, Enve 60s, XX1, dropper). You'll love it. It's a beast! Eats babyheads all day. Post up your ride report.

mtbr member
    Where are the ride reports for these cool bikes you got.......Getting close to ordering mine...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Where are the ride reports for these cool bikes you got.......Getting close to ordering mine...
    It really is flippin' amazing. Really an intuitive, responsive, and stable bike. Compared to a Genius, Spark, Ripley, and Process 111, it's my favorite. That's saying quite a bit, as I've really loved and am still impressed, by a couple of those bikes (Genius and Process to be specific).

After 100 miles, my impression is that it pedals as well as the Genius and descends as well as the Process. I've got a 60mm stem on mine now and the fit is really good. I will be using it for trail rides, XC, XC Endurance, and Enduro races. I'm 5'11" and I'm sure a Medium would fit well, but I'm on a Large as I prefer my bikes to run a bit long.

I really am truly impressed, if I didn't like anything I'd tell you, but I can't think of a thing I'd change... I guess the cable routing could be a bit more tidy, without the zip ties. But it's far from the worst I've had.

mtbr member
    awesome Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can you guys tell me if the FOX CTD on my Salsa Horsethief 2015 has a Large Volume (LV) or Standard Volume (SV) sleeve size? I assume that it's a SV sleeve but just want to make sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    Can you guys tell me if the FOX CTD on my Salsa Horsethief 2015 has a Large Volume (LV) or Standard Volume (SV) sleeve size? I assume that it's a SV sleeve but just want to make sure.
    2013 FLOAT Large Volume (LV) Air Sleeve and Eyelet

mtbr member
    Getting my bike this week, anymore ride reports???

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The sleeve is SV sized... I got a reply from the Salsa support

mtbr member
    First ride on new HT and WOW what a great bike! Does everything really well. Can't wait to get some more time on it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Split Pivot HT Rear Shock & Bottom Bracket Guidance

After Labor Day I will be building up a '14 Horsethief from the frame up.

I will be installing XT cranks 1x10 or 2x10, I haven't decided yet and I am on the fence with running a standard Shimano pressfit BB or paying the extra freight for an Enduro TorqTite BB...any real world experiences?

Also, my HT frame came with the stock Fox Float CTD and I am thinking about immediately upgrading/ordering a Monarch RT3 and keeping the Fox for a back-up. I had horrible luck with 2 Fox Float Boost Valve shocks, having "Pushed" both rear shocks I was not overwhelmed with the outcome. Push's upgrade seems to slightly increase the small bump compliance, but lacked mid-stroke support and blew through the travel too easily.

What about the Debonair can on the HT, anyone try one?

I know that the DB Inline is a great option for the HT, but I am not that tweaky, I want to set it and forget it.

Many thanks for offering any personal experiences or opinions!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    I know that the DB Inline is a great option for the HT, but I am not that tweaky, I want to set it and forget it.

Many thanks for offering any personal experiences or opinions!
    Have you thought about the Manitou McLeod? I love mine on my 2013 HT, though I'm not sure how different it would perform with the 2014s split pivot.

There is a dedicated thread on the McLeod in the suspension section.
    Motobecane Lurch - Fatty

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Wisconsinite, has Manitou upped their reliability and CS? I will research that thread as well as online.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinite762 View Post
    Have you thought about the Manitou McLeod? I love mine on my 2013 HT, though I'm not sure how different it would perform with the 2014s split pivot.

There is a dedicated thread on the McLeod in the suspension section.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    There's no McLeod in 7.25 / 1.75" available

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Bonzoo, I just confirmed the same...I guess I am solving for the BB now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    Thanks Bonzoo, I just confirmed the same...I guess I am solving for the BB now
    Forgot the shocks are a different size on the 2nd gen HT.

The local suspension expert (username: Dougal) in the McLeod thread suggested adding a top-out spacer to a 7.5/2.0 shock to bring it down to 7.25/1.75. I have no idea how (or if) that would affect the performance of the shock though.

Edit: Here is the comment Manitou Mcleod Rear Shock
    Motobecane Lurch - Fatty

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for digging up that comment. I briefly went through the thread but didn't see this hint.

Hmm I'm not sure about the top-out spacer? Maybe somebody should contact Manitou? I'm thinking about the Vorsprung Corset and/or Push Tuning. It did wonders for my GF Speci Enduro with a Fox shock

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the re-direct Wisconsinite, I read the whole McLeod thread and overlooked it as well, I wonder if the mod will compromise the manitou warranty? I will be calling and emailing manitou on Monday.

Anybody try the Debonair or Corset on the HT?

The local suspension expert (username: Dougal) in the McLeod thread suggested adding a top-out spacer to a 7.5/2.0 shock to bring it down to 7.25/1.75. I have no idea how (or if) that would affect the performance of the shock though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I "tried" to order a Corset for my HT from TF Tuned but they're still on backorder... I might get one directly from Vorsprung...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If your successful in obtaining one Vorsprung, please post up post ride reviews

Thanks,

I "tried" to order a Corset for my HT from TF Tuned but they're still on backorder... I might get one directly from Vorsprung...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sure thing! I'll keep you updated. I had a chat with a guy who's running a DB Inline... He's super happy with the shock. However it's expensive & the reliability issues are keeping me off :/

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I spoke with Hayes/Mantou/Sun yesterday regarding the Mcleod mod...installing the top-out spacer to reduce the stroke down to 7.25x1.75 will void the warranty. Also, Manitou stated that they have no plans for a 7.25x1.75 stroke Mcleod. I guess I will be pulling the trigger for the Monarch RT3.

mtbr member
    Got my horsethief this weekend, very, very, excited! Fixing dropper routing and swapping for a pike and xt brakes this weekend

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht.jpg

Handmade in Switzerland
    Can someone tell me if the 2016 Horsethief Carbon X01 is already available?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Excited to have picked up a 2014 frame at a good price. I'm currently on a Honzo, but my body needs a bit of a rest. Geo on this bike is close to what I'm used to, and to the other bikes I was considering. I'm hoping for a solid climber, something that pedals over roots a little better, and for a little more support on the downs vs. the hardtail (particularly braking bumps and multiple hits which made the Honzo a little squirelly). The HT seems to fly under the radar a bit (as noted elsewhere), but looks to be a perfect fit for my riding and terrain.

mtbr member
    Changes are dialed in!

Easton Haven 70mm stem oversize clamp
    Santa Cruz 800mm low-rise bars
    XT M8000 brakes
    Pike RCT3

Bike rides great, had a big creak that turned out to be a loose axle nut on the drive side. Just need to find more time to ride!
    WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-horsethief.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New Horsetheif Build

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4299.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_4283.jpg

Well I purchased the 2014 Horsethief Frameset for my 50th birthday April 2015. Two kids at at major university and trying to rebuild my retirement nest can really slow down your purchasing goals...also I did not want to compromise on any parts for my 50th birthday present to ME. Anyway following is the parts build schedule:

Medium Horsethief Frameset
    Cane Creek 40 Headset
    2016 MRP Stage Fork
    NOX Farlow rim's with Hadley Hubs, built by the best wheel builder Dave "Speeeeeed Dream" Thomas - My second build from him...highly recommended
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 front tire
    Specialized Ground Control Grid 2.30 rear tire
    XT M8000 shifter, cranks, rear derailleur, 11-42 cassette, pedals, bottom bracket, front and rear Brakes, 180mm front & 160mm rear rotors
    XTR chain
    Praxis Works 30T Chainring
    Easton Haven 70mm stem, with Haven seatpost (9point8 Fall Line dropper post was purchased in January, just waiting to dial-in the cockpit before it is installed).
    Syntace Vector Handelbar - 760mm, 12 degree sweep
    Specialized BG Countour Locking Grips
    WTB Team Saddle
    Arundal bottle cage.

The bike rides great!! I am 5'9" on a good day and I feel like the medium frame barely fits me...I am thinking about moving to a 80mm stem. The biggest surprises of the bike or build up is the MRP Stage fork and Nox Wheels. The MRP Stage is the real deal as I have demoed the Pike on several bikes and have owned just about every Fox and RS that have been made. The Stage has amazing tunability and it makes me smile every time I ride the bike. The Farlow's are super stiff and everything happens much faster...I feel like my reflexes really need to up their game. For the past 20+ years I have been an avid, aggressive, advanced mountain biker and have ridden just about every significant trail in the southwest. Also, the right tire pressure becomes much more critical with CF hoops. I started out with 28 in the front and 30 in the rear and I was bouncing off of everything. This morning I tried 25 front and 28 rear and still feel like I can drop the psi more without risking a rim strike.

The only disappointing component is the XT M8000 brakes...plenty, ample loads of power, but no modulation to speak of. I knew this going in and I thought that my riding skills would overcome the on/off characteristics of the brakes...I will give them some time. I am contemplating moving to a set of Hopes as they are well known for great modulation, but hit and miss in power band and I would hate to spend $400 and not be satisfied. Lastly, I have not owned Shimano shifters and rear derailleur's since the late 90's...I am impressed...the shifters are still not quite as crisp as the SRAM's but the rear derailleur is very impressive.

My previous bike was a 2010 Ellsworth Evolve 100mm rear travel bike. I really liked the monkey motion of the Ellsworth, but the geometry became dated quickly with the steep headtube and super long chainstays. The Horsethief climbs more spiritedly and provides me an ample level of confidence on the steep and sketchy Phoenix descents.

IMO the Horsethief is truly the swiss army knife of bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

2016 ht 27.5+

Picked up my new HT this past weekend.. in a 27.5+ format.. its still muddy here in VT so no riding the ST but its break in ride will be in Sedona in two weeks! Here are some pics:WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-1.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-2.jpgWANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone in the MN/WI area Freewheel has some 2015 HT 2's left they are selling for $2,200. I just picked one up, it is sweet!

mtbr member
    Has anyone changed from the fox factory to a monarch RT3 on a split pivot HT? My fox shock won't hold air despite a rebuild and am curious if a swap would be worth it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

2015 Carbon HT

WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht1.jpg

Loving my 2015 Carbon HT. Pike 120, 1x, wtb vigilante/trailboss f/r. Shred sled that is incredibly capable/versatile. My hardtail buddies aren't dropping me on the ups and I sprout wings when it gets chunky!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-img_20160319_203840.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What do folks run for a chain catcher on the HT with 1x drivetrain? My 2015 has threaded posts around the bb seemingly for mounting such a thing but salsa doest liat a chain catcher /watcher on their site...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Build up my horsethief two weekends ago. Haven't been able to ride since I broke my hand. Staring at it is just self inflicted torture.WANTED: Horsethiefs!!! photo and discussion thread.....-ht-.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast