Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Coque
    You know you're making my problem even worst, don't you? ;-)

Truth is i think the Vaya is my bike but i love the "no limits" mentality of the Fargo, like most of you, i guess.

See, i'm new to cycling and the sport i dedicated my life to is surfing. But almost two years back my surfing related health problems went worse and i had to be out of the water for some time, i was gaining lots of weight and i always thought that moving my car to be at the office parking for nine hours was a waste of energy, space and money, so i decided to commute by bike. All my friends belong to the MTB world, so i made a bike from pieces and ended with an scandium MTB frame, discs and 700 wheels (yep, they fit with 30c slicks and there's even tight room for mudguards). Then i realized i prefer a drop bar when there're strong winds (quite often here), so i installed one. Then i realized the frame was small for me and i never liked the tight fit of the wheels, so i found a good deal on a Mariachi and bought it... And built a MTB from the scandium frame. I think now that the Mariachi might be to big for me (L size, i'm 5'11'' tending to shorter legs/longer reach), but i'm used to it and i'm afraid the 57 or even the 58 Vaya will be short for me...

Why do i tell you all this?, because i'm open to any kind of advice with this "Vaya project"...

Here's my beast (now she has clipless pedals, a new rear wheel and no chainguard) so i i guess i made my own Fargo/Vaya just before they were on the market:

BTW. lately i'm using a computer my sister gave me, and starting to give some atention to cadence and heart rate i'm tryin to be more efficient and, for the first time, i'm paying some atention to weight also, that's why the Vaya looks sexier to me.

Thanks for reading guys and my apologies for my bad english.
    Coque
    Nice looking El Mar! I'm thinking its a way better offroad bike than the Fargo is an on-road bike. Advantage Vaya. Get the Vaya and get your El Mar back in the dirt. BTW, some flat bars will shorten the reach quite a bit, so the El Mar might not be too big for you set up dirt-bike style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bolandjd, if i buy the Vaya, it'll replace my El Mariachi. I own now a MTB, my commuter (now El Mariachi, Vaya in the future?) and a beater bike that i use to go to the beach and that i take with me on my van when i'm on the road... so i can't really justify another bike. Now add to that more than 30 surfboards, wetsuits, tons of fins and you'll wonder what a great i'm doing dealing with my wife...

I need to choose: Fargo, Vaya o El Mariachi. And El Mariachi is a pain to install racks on it and has much less options.

Coque.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Bolandjd, if i buy the Vaya, it'll replace my El Mariachi. I own now a MTB, my commuter (now El Mariachi, Vaya in the future?) and a beater bike that i use to go to the beach and that i take with me on my van when i'm on the road... so i can't really justify another bike. Now add to that more than 30 surfboards, wetsuits, tons of fins and you'll wonder what a great i'm doing dealing with my wife...

I need to choose: Fargo, Vaya o El Mariachi. And El Mariachi is a pain to install racks on it and has much less options.

Coque.
    Coque
    Check out my post on the vaya builds thread.
    My 58cm frame weighs 2375g and the uncut fork is 1040g. (5.23lbs and 2.29lbs)
    I am pretty close to your size (6' with longer arms and torso) and as you can see I have plenty of standover clearance on the 58. You could probably go with the 57 or the 58 depending on just how short your legs are.
    Since you live at the coast make sure you get a can of frame saver to go with it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks a lot Lucifer (i never expected to say that sentence...).

What's weird is that Salsa's site sais that the 18'' Fargo frame (585mm top tube) weights 5.1 kbs, Mgersib sais that the Vaya frame is lighter (as expected) but you tell us now that your 58 Vaya (585 top tube) weights 5.23 lbs... not a big difference, but extrange i think. I assume it has to do with geometry since the seat tube at the Fargo is shorter so the 18'' Fargo comes lighte than the 58 Vaya??? Anyway, what seems to be definitely lighter is the fork.

I think i'll go with the 58 and maybe put on it a 120mm stem since seems like i like to be stretched...

BTW, i'm proof now i want a Vaya. If i ever think the 42s cant hold the route, i'll go with my MTB.

Now i need to find a good deal.

Thanks for your help boys.
    Coque.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

i heart singletrack

What's weird is that Salsa's site sais that the 18'' Fargo frame (585mm top tube) weights 5.1 kbs, Mgersib sais that the Vaya frame is lighter (as expected) but you tell us now that your 58 Vaya (585 top tube) weights 5.23 lbs... not a big difference, but extrange i think. I assume it has to do with geometry since the seat tube at the Fargo is shorter so the 18'' Fargo comes lighte than the 58 Vaya??? Anyway, what seems to be definitely lighter is the fork.

I think i'll go with the 58 and maybe put on it a 120mm stem since seems like i like to be stretched...

BTW, i'm proof now i want a Vaya. If i ever think the 42s cant hold the route, i'll go with my MTB.

Coque.
    I suspect that much of the weight difference is in fact in the fork, but I do think the frame will be a little lighter in weight too. With steel adventure bike frames, I just think it's silly to start micro analyzing frame weights. These are five-plus pound frames. That means that they're appropriately lightweight relative to the strength, ride quality and cost goals they were designed to hit. Don't take this as me being argumentative or judgmental, simply realistic. I just want you guys to know where I'm coming from...

i heart singletrack

Coque.
    Yep... You definitely want a Vaya. After seeing the setup on your El Mariachi, it's clear you need something faster that works better on the road. Plus, you'll have your El Mariachi for the dirt. Keep that bike... It's an awesome ride and you'll be glad to have it for your dirt adventures (put fat tires back on it though -- I'll let you decide whether you go back to flat bars). ;-) I'm a big El Mariachi fan too...

Good luck, and have fun!

Cheers,
    MG

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    I have the same problem - I don't know what do buy fargo or vaya ???

I ride:
    50 % road
    40 % dirt like fireroads, cartway, ...
    10 % dirt like singletrail, maybee 1-2 cyclocross races

Which bike fits better ???
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by realbiker

I ride:
    50 % road

Vaya. I had the same question about 5 months ago when I was shopping. It will take up to 29x 1.9 off-road tires if you really need them. I'm doing my first ever CX race in about a month on mine. I'll let you know how it goes.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by realbiker

I ride:
    50 % road

Definitely a Vaya... A Fargo, for you, would be overkill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaya vs. Fargo; help me choose?-1110_monstercrossvaya_sm.jpg  

Last edited by mgersib; 11-08-2010 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Add photo...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Get Both

If you can swing it financially and still stay married get both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I wish i owned both. But i only have a fargo. I heart it!
    www.meadm.com Personal Photography Site and Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I already have trouble explaining that I need a rainy-day errand bike and a sunny-day errand bike, and a just knocking around the neighborhood bike, and....
    Buy her something sparkley first and then start hinting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2