mtbr member

Vaya, Thudbuster ST

Thinking about putting a short-travel thud on my Vaya 2. Pros and cons? A typical ride for me is 20-30 miles of urban streets and gravel and I am running the stock Conti Tour Rides (which I am happy with), but I keep thinking that a thud might help smooth the ride out a bit more. I've never had any sort of seatpost sus, and I ride hardtails all the time.

Thoughts?

And if I do order one (I believe the Vaya takes a 27.2) will I need to shim it at all?

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Best thing I've ever done! Makes my Vaya into a magic carpet! Go with a relatively stiff elastomer - I'm 185#, and using #7.. No shim necessary.

The only con I can think of is a little weight penalty. The Vaya is no featherweight to begin with though. Potentially a little "bounce", but usually short-lived once I get settled in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yep, do it... I ran a Thudbuster in my Fargo and Vaya for ages before I got an Eriksen... You don't notice it bouncing around or anything, just makes everything glassy smooth...

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas. ThudSt ordered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did consider a TB for my El-Mar but concluded that things only got really bumpy at pretty high speeds on bumpy trails and I'm out of the saddle in the attack position for that type of stuff anyway. If it gets a bit wild and the rear of the El-Mar is bouncing around, then I should have brought the suspension bike instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have one on my El Mar too!

I get the comfort of a full squish without the drawbacks.

mtbr member
    You're gonna love it. I have the TB ST on the Fargo (of course) but did the same on my El Mariachi which does commuting and single track. Of course not a lot of benefit on the single track but nonetheless and smooths the asphalt out for back and forth to work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My El Mar is my single track ride, and the TB-ST shines in that respect. It smooths things out enough, but again, negates the drawbacks of an FS bike - pedal suck, bounce, maintenance, need to adjust, etc. It's not going to be the answer if you're hitting big drops, HEAVY bumps, etc, but the El Mar isn't the bike for that either. My goal as a rider now that I'm in my 40's is to 1) stay upright, and 2) keep my tires on the ground 99% of the time.

mtbr member
    Update...

Thudbuster ST now onboard my Vaya and all I can say is wow, why didn't I do this a long time ago?! I guess I thought it would be mushy and cause me to lose efficiency,
    but at 45 y/o who am I kidding...I need some cush. But I am surprised: the Thud is not mushy at all (I am using the medium #5 elastomer so if I needed to I could up to the firmest one) and yet it definitely smooths the ride out wonderfully. It might be fun to throw it on the Mukluk on of these days, just for kicks.

Thanks for all your input. That is all. Time to go ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    By the way, if it's helpful to anyone I am 5'9, 165#.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Congrats!

The TB has been a game changer for me. It turns a bike into something downright comfortable. Who'd a thunk it?

mtbr member
    Personally, I didn't care for it and found it bobbed too much on my Fargo. I sold it and got a Ti Cycles titanium seatpost and it provides just the right amount of comfort.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobzcheez View Post
    Personally, I didn't care for it and found it bobbed too much on my Fargo. I sold it and got a Ti Cycles titanium seatpost and it provides just the right amount of comfort.
    How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    I weigh about 175

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bobzcheez View Post
    I weigh about 175
    They ship with a #5 elastomer, which you're at the upper end of the weight limit on. Did you try a #7? I weigh about 185, and like the #7 on my Fargo and Vaya, but left the #5 on my El Mar. I think they go up to a #9 now.