Thread: Vaya sizing

mtbr member
    May 2008

Vaya sizing

Hi everyone. I'm after your thoughts on Vaya sizing, as I'm about to drop some of my had-earned cash on one, yet I dont live near any shops with them in stock to test ride.

I am 5'6" tall, with an inseam of 29". I currently have a road (racing) bike with a ETT of 53cm, and a stem of 105mm.

I suspect I might be in the middle of the 52cm and 54cm frame sizes, and could maybe make either size work by adjusting the stem reach/saddle placement.

My question is do you think I might be better off going for the 52cm frame and running it with say a 120mm stem, or going with the 54cm and running a 80-90mm stem?
    I realise my own reference comes into play but given that I've never 'properly' toured on a touring bike, i thought I'd ask the good people of mtbr for your thoughts in terms of how it might affect handling etc on a bike with this particular geometry/use in mind.

What would you lean towards?

I got nothin'
    Here is what I did...

I ride a road bike with a 56cm ETT and a 110mm stem. With the Vaya I wanted a little more upright feel for the long days on the road/trail. I use it as a tourer and a cross bike. I went with a 56cm frame (56cm ETT) and a 90mm stem with the Cowbell Bars. This resulted in a very comfortable bike. It exceeded my expectations in comfort.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    The larger frame might give you more heel clearance to panniers as well as less toe overlap in the front. I know for myself I'd be more comfortable with less stem.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What size wheels do you want? I am your height and have ridden both and they are different bikes. If you dont care on wheel size and are seriously looking at running a 120mm stem on the 52 (which puts you more stretched out than your road bike) then I think a 54 would be much better.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaklook View Post
    What size wheels do you want? I am your height and have ridden both and they are different bikes. If you dont care on wheel size and are seriously looking at running a 120mm stem on the 52 (which puts you more stretched out than your road bike) then I think a 54 would be much better.

My preference is definitely for 700c wheels.

The other thing is that my roady has a setback seatpost, so if I was to get a straight post for the Vaya then that would bring me an extra 10mm or so forward.
    I realise I'm agonizing over this, but when you dont live near a shop and have to rely on o/s internet orders it has to be bang-on!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I realize this is a dated thread, but I thought I'd pick up on it, since I've just been perusing the Vaya geometry page, and have found something surprising: Salsa lists the reach on the 54cm frame as 364.4mm, and the reach on the 52cm as 374.2mm, a longer reach measurement than even the 57cm frame. (To muddy the waters further, the 54cm frame sports a longer reach measurement than the 55cm.)

Assuming the geometry table is correct, the 54cm (and, for that matter, the 55, 56, and 57cm frames) will fit "smaller" from saddle to handlebar than the nominally smaller 52cm. Much of this can come from seat tube angle changes (since steeper seat tubes, all else being equal, create longer reach measurements), but has anyone verified that this isn't a typo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I could be wrong, but I think the 52 to 54 difference is a byproduct of moving the bottom bracket up (25mm less drop) on the 26" wheeled frames while going slightly steeper with the seat tube. The shorter head tube also has an a lengthening effect on the reach measurement. None of this explains the 54 to 55 difference, so then again, it could be a typo
    Power to the People....and the pedals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Interesting about the bb drop and head tube length altering reach.

In any case, assuming the geo chart is correct, there seems to be little little reason to go with the 52cm, unless the 26" wheels are preferred. Given that the next three sizes are "smaller," it seems like it may make more sense to pick a Vaya size based on desired head tube length, and maybe standover too.