Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vaya Problem

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    interesting…was running 70-75psi on the Clements without any problems. recently moved down to 60-65 for a little more shock absorption on the city streets.

checked DT Swiss' spec chart and the max pressure column has asterisks:
    ** or like posted on the tire

not sure what it all means

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Had another bead slip and tube explode on a ride. 60psi right before starting, was literally just riding along on smooth (warm) pavement. Luckily I was right near a bike shop and got a backup tube, because it happened AGAIN about 4 miles later. Nothing sharp in the rim, no problems with the tire, no problems with installation, only 55psi this time. I don't think it's safe to put more than 50psi on these X470 rims and Clements - lucky for me I've been going straight each time, and haven't crashed yet with my three blowouts (one rear, two front).

Have to say I'm pretty pissed. 50psi is not an appropriate limit for a road focused bike. I need to shitcan the X470 rims and rebuild these hubs into more heavy-duty touring wheels, or consign them for permanent MTB (ie low pressure) tire duty while I build a brand new set.

?hipster?
    3 years with Conti 32c Gatorskins @90 PSI with no problems. Sounds like a Clements issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So when the tires say 90psi max, and the rims say 58psi max, and they blow at 55 psi, you blame the tires? No, I think you've been lucky with a combination of tire with this rim that holds more than its rating. I'm not really willing to count on that for hard service. I plan to ride this bike loaded heavy, in foreign countries where I may have to take what tires I can get at times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've used three different tires @ 70psi with no problems on the standard rims. We finally moved to Vermont so these days the Vaya sees 90% dirt and rarely above 45psi. For your intended uses(loaded touring in far-away lands) an entirely new wheelset with 36 spokes per wheel is probably ideal.

Out of curiosity, is it the same tire that slips off the rim each time? What clement tire are you using?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It's been the front twice and the rear once. They're the 700x40mm Clement MSOs that came stock on the bike.

Human Test Subject
    My MSOs aren't even round. I've never tried the stock rims, so I can't attest to their quality, but I'm gonna blame the tires too.

?hipster?
    4 years, 3 different Conti tires, 50-90 psi, dirt, asphalt, no issues whatsoever with these tires and rims. There was no luck involved. Clement tubular tires were popular in the 20th century for road racing, I had some in the 80's. At that point the quality had started to go downhill. At one time they were made in Europe but at some point the company was sold and manufacturing moved to the Far East. Shortly thereafter they were out of business. Now someone has come along and tried to revive the brand name. I have no idea if there is any connection to the old Clements. Just for kicks I looked up the user reviews on this forum. Continental has over 900, Clements? Zero. Unfortunately Salsa has speced an unproven tire for these Vayas. Certain brands are known for their "loose fit". You can be sure that these tires will blow off other rims as well. There is some evidence of riders trying to use them tubeless with less than good results because they blow off there also.

If you are planning to tour "heavily loaded" in "foreign countries" with a budget, off the rack, machine built wheelset you are asking for trouble. As the other poster mentioned a 36 hole professionally built set with a quality tire will go a long way without problems. There is no reason to "shitcan" your present wheelset, put some quality tires on it and use them for local riding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2